E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Winter Tyre Speed ratings

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 07:58 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Solved, after much effort my local dealer phoned and has got me some Conti Winter Contact TS 790v's at ?115 each fully fitted.

My first choice would have been the Blizzak LM25's, but they come in at ?145 each, I think the Conti's are a better deal.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='356990' date='Nov 17 2006, 01:27 AM
Well, allow me to point out that winter in Finland is likely to be a little more challenging than in Wiltshire...

But I agree. If you need winter tyres, then doing 160 kph is plenty enough.

... a bit, maybe

The speed limits are even lowered to max 100 km/h on the freeways and to 80 on normal highways. :thumbsdown:

I laugh only so my crying wouldn'd show

I hate the winter!
Old 11-18-2006, 05:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='357324' date='Nov 17 2006, 06:31 PM
... a bit, maybe

The speed limits are even lowered to max 100 km/h on the freeways and to 80 on normal highways. :thumbsdown:

I laugh only so my crying wouldn'd show

I hate the winter!
50% of the time you have a regular dry road in the winter and only the temperature is much lower. In such conditions I don't see any reason for driving differently than in the summer and have regularly driven over 200 km/h in the winter when the conditions were right. I used to have Goodyear GW3's on my old cars and this was a great "performance" winter tyre in the dry, very good in the wet but so so in the snow.

2 days ago I had H rated 225/50R17 Dunlop Wintersport M3 runflats put on in place of the 245/45R17 setup. I complained that they didn't have V rated tyres especially since a colleague has similar size V-rated Conti TS810's on his A6 3.0TDI Quattro. Apparently they couldn't source Vrated runflats in Poland in my size.

First impressions - wow the steering has significantly lightened up and the traction control light seems to be on more often :-). No idea yet how they perform on snow or in the wet although I've heard complaints that they can be slippery when it's wet.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:33 AM
KAF
Contributors

Traction control light on is bad news, it means the tyres are losing grip and the enige power is being reduced.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

I have Conti TS 810S! XL 245-40-18 WR !!! Okej it is a litle bit overkill but it is better to be on the safe side
Old 11-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

sometimes higher rated W or above are chaeper than some V tyres.

Take a look on

http://www.blackcircles.co.uk

and see what you get

Personally, I would NEVER use a lower rated tyre than that fitted by the original manufacturer. If you have an expensive accident, the insurance co are likely to try and find a way out. The fact you were doing 40 at the time wouldnt hold up as they could claim any accident in which tyres were a factor was due to previous high speed use outside of the tyres rating.
I wouldnt risk my ?27k car on downrated tyres....

cheers

steve
Old 11-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by KAF' post='357629' date='Nov 18 2006, 07:33 PM
Traction control light on is bad news, it means the tyres are losing grip and the enige power is being reduced.
This is true. With my Q Conties this is not a problem.

The other thing is that the wintertyres should be good in really bad conditions.

Some of you might not understand, but it only needs to be one day with bad contions
and some bad luck + a bit too much speed when you really need the best tyres possible.

The winter brings this matter really out! If you drive some thousand kilometers every year
and every winter you learn this.
Why do the best rally and F1 car drivers come from a tiny country like Finland (pop 5,3 M)?

"Personally, I would NEVER use a lower rated tyre than that fitted by the original manufacturer. If you have an expensive accident, the insurance co are likely to try and find a way out."

This is no problem overhere.

The insurance companies understand that the best winter tyres comes with lower rated tyres!
Old 11-18-2006, 12:28 PM
KAF
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='357694' date='Nov 18 2006, 08:29 PM
The insurance companies understand that the best winter tyres comes with lower rated tyres!
See, now that's sensible..................but in the UK, any excuse to avoid paying out.

It ain't in the manual so it must be wrong!

Common sense is a lost attribute in the UK, and the US for that matter!
Old 11-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='357694
See, now that's sensible..................but in the UK, any excuse to avoid paying out.

It ain't in the manual so it must be wrong!

Common sense is a lost attribute in the UK, and the US for that matter!
It IS in the manual. This is my tyre label - apologies for the quality of the photo, but look at what's approved by BMW...

[sorry - can't upload the stuff. Will try again tomorrow, but the label clearly shows H rated M+S tyres are meant for this car, KAF]
Old 11-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='357760' date='Nov 19 2006, 12:17 AM
Erm, higher incidence of driving madness and reckless behaviour?
It IS in the manual. This is my tyre label - apologies for the quality of the photo, but look at what's approved by BMW...

[sorry - can't upload the stuff. Will try again tomorrow, but the label clearly shows H rated M+S tyres are meant for this car, KAF]
There used to be a regulation or habit in Germany that if the tyres are speed rated below the maximum speed of the vehicle there should be a sticker on the dashboard with a reminder of what the safe speed is for the tyre

Quick Reply: Winter Tyre Speed ratings