E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Since my lease ended on my daily commute car, I might have to use my 550 in winter to and from train station, I was wondering if there are any good tires who can get me to the station.. Last year I had summer tires and the car was impossible to move in the snow.. Do they have any good tires for the V8, or i should forget about it and look for another daily commute car ? Thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tnycman
Since my lease ended on my daily commute car, I might have to use my 550 in winter to and from train station, I was wondering if there are any good tires who can get me to the station.. Last year I had summer tires and the car was impossible to move in the snow.. Do they have any good tires for the V8, or i should forget about it and look for another daily commute car ? Thanks
Not only are your original UHP "summer" tires dangerous in snow they are not intended for use in very cold winter temperatures. Most people who must get around in winter conditions mount a set of "winter tires" on separate set of wheels t oeliminate the mounting and dismounting of tires. You'd need a set of TPMS installed or live with the iDrive warnings. Depending on your weather conditions you might get by year round with a set of "all-season" tires to replace your "summer tires" on your original wheels. The Continental's (DSW's) get good reviews. Check Tirerack for separate tires or wheel - tire packages. They can also set them up with TPMS too!

Click thru the link in my signature for additional rebates whether you shop there or at other on-line stores.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i sport

I picked up these last year from tire rack with a wheel package could not have been happier http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....19&sortSize=17
Old 08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Like nagos420, I am also running on Michelin X-Ice and love them. No trouble at all in snow or ice. They are quiet, relatively well priced and appear to be long wearing. Cheaper than a second car and way more fun. If you go for new rims as well then suggest you go with 17". Smaller tires cut through snow better and also cost less.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

The best TRUE winter tire that I've ever driven:

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA 7

- Antti -
Old 08-31-2011, 04:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

I always liked Michelin tires, the X-ice snow tires are way cheaper than my PS2 sport tires, which lasted for 10 month "rear", but that's for another thread on the forum .. I have 18" which I'm planing to use..

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Like nagos420, I am also running on Michelin X-Ice and love them. No trouble at all in snow or ice. They are quiet, relatively well priced and appear to be long wearing. Cheaper than a second car and way more fun. If you go for new rims as well then suggest you go with 17". Smaller tires cut through snow better and also cost less.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I'm looking for snow tires too, I have a set of 18' which will be used as winter set. Please let us know when you get it.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Members
Senior Members

I went to tirerack and put my car specs and the only winter tire result i got was Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60..

Originally Posted by nagos420
I picked up these last year from tire rack with a wheel package could not have been happier http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....19&sortSize=17
Old 08-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

I went ahead and ordered the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 it had some good reviews.. Anzafin/Gilgorm your recommended tires didn;t have 275/35 18 for the rear tires.. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Going wider at the rear isn't a good idea if you drive constantly on snow. However, I believe studded tires are prohibited in many places in US..?

- Antti -

Quick Reply: Winter tires