E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Winter set-up...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I run Continental TS810S
one of the few winter tires with good snow traction but 240km/h max speed limit as well
Old 11-05-2006, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='352556' date='Nov 5 2006, 09:18 AM
Thats my question, too. I have the new sensors now on my new car, but have perfectly fine winter wheels/tires from my old car. I am ready to change the tires this week. Will the car bitch at me every time I turn it on? Can I disable the tire pressure warning system somehow? I can live without the TPM. I can check the tire pressure often and the winter tires are RTFs.
Have you considered buying sensors and installing them on your current wheels? Tirerack seems to have sensors for something like $67 (ouch!) per sensor.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

what freakin' sensors are you guys talking about...
the E60 has the tire pressure sensor based on the rpms of each invidual wheel taking from the ABS/DSC sensors..... nothing is in the actuall wheel disc.....
so you can change wheels and tires as much as you want

I run runflat as well as non runflats.... it has nothing to with the sensors..... except resetting them via the Idrive after each wheel setup change
Old 11-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='352580' date='Nov 5 2006, 07:57 PM
what freakin' sensors are you guys talking about...
the E60 has the tire pressure sensor based on the rpms of each invidual wheel taking from the ABS/DSC sensors..... nothing is in the actuall wheel disc.....
so you can change wheels and tires as much as you want

I was thinking the same thing...but then i said to myself...well they must know what they're talking about.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributors

well we've been newbies once as well

but really guys, there are no actual tyre pressure sensors on the car....
it is a computation based on the wheel rotation and size....
it monitors only a leak or a sudden decrease of the pressure, not an actuall tyre pressure reading
Old 11-05-2006, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='352582' date='Nov 5 2006, 04:00 PM
but really guys, there are no actual tyre pressure sensors on the car....
There are now. On each wheel.

ABC
Old 11-05-2006, 07:29 AM
Contributors

is that so? so is it a MY2007 thing??? an actuall "sensor" in the disc???
Old 11-05-2006, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='352586' date='Nov 5 2006, 04:29 PM
is that so? so is it a MY2007 thing??? an actuall "sensor" in the disc???
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=28460

ABC
Old 11-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='352588' date='Nov 5 2006, 08:56 PM
Awww if this is true it sucks soooo much...
I wonder why they did this move and didn't stick with the,imo, better TPM system based on rotations etc...
Old 11-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='352595' date='Nov 5 2006, 12:18 PM
Awww if this is true it sucks soooo much...
I wonder why they did this move and didn't stick with the,imo, better TPM system based on rotations etc...
Tell me that. I have a set of perfectly good winter wheels/tires that work well with FTM on my 2005 545. Now I have to either get rid of this set and buy a brand new set from tirerack.com with sensors (at least $1,300) or get sensors and install them ($400) or use the current set and leave with constant complains from my car's computer. Hate all the choices.

Quick Reply: Winter set-up...