E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield - contains metal oxide like 7 series?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcumbo' date='Apr 18 2005, 06:37 AM
I have the new, smaller one that does not beep as you pass through the lanes.? I have it mounted directly behind the mirror, on the passenger side (I don't even see it from the driver side!)

No problems at all.? The way I can tell is I occasionally have to go through booths with the stop arm.? They always pop right up as I approach them.

I am on 355 at least once a week from north end all the way to the south end.... I will look for you!?
[snapback]116630[/snapback]

Thanks for the detailed response. I've got the same unit and that's right where I have it on my 330i now so looks like I can keep it for the new 530i. My new ride is on the boat right now. When it arrives, look on 355 for the guy with the huge grin.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Members

My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

I dont like the look of having the FastLane transponder mounted to the windshield, so I just hold it up as I pass thru.

My X3 had a little compartment on top of the dash in which I could store the transponder, and it worked from there all of the time. With my E60 I'll have to go back to remembering to hold it up.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Bart001' date='Apr 19 2005, 01:08 PM
I dont like the look of having the FastLane transponder mounted to the windshield, so I just hold it up as I pass thru.
[snapback]117191[/snapback]
I don't like the look either (I wish it were black instead of white) but I only mount it (velcro) when I'm on a highway trip. Since I don't use it that often, the only thing that's visible are two small clear velcro strips which are pretty much invisible from the outside.

What's nice is that I don't have to fiddle with anything while on a trip if I attach it at the beginning. No need to hold it up, etc. as I pass through...
Old 04-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Well.... I just thought I would report my finding today with respect to EPass toll transponder and window tint.

I had my front windshield tinted today in LLumar Platinum Plus 35%.

My EPass works through the tint, without any problem.

So... like I said... metallic window films do NOT affect radio waves. They affect short wavelength light, such as infrared and ultraviolet... but they don't affect long wavelength light such as radio waves.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: April Delivery 2005 - 545i Orient Blue/Beige Leather. Sport & Premium packages/Navigation/Heads-Up display/Premium Sound/Cold Weather Pkg/Park Distance Control/SMG/Split fold down rear w/ski pkg. Currently: 2002 - 530i Steel Blue Metalic. Sport & Premium packages/Navigation/Cold Weather Pkg/Split fold down rear w/ski pkg.

No problem with New York EZPass. I also have HUD.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i - Alpine White - Mods : "We're working on it..."

Question for all

I just got a 2005 545i, and while using my EZPass, i noticed the tag wouldnt read properly at all

Ive driven it all over NYC /NJ Metro, and none of the tolls , turnpike would read it

I tried moving it all over the place (inside car) only . I didnt try sticking it outside (through drivers or sunroof) but my question is, is there something on the window that prevents it from working?

I was not aware of any metal oxide on 05's or on the E60's at all

But thinking about it, I realize that I also didnt have a front license plate ? (because Im waiting for the dealer to install the bracket) so does EZPAss need a front license plate to work?

does anyone know?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My EZPass reads just fine through my 2008 car and it was fine on my 2004 car. I don't see how the presence (or lack thereof) of a license plate would affect things as far as signal transmission goes...
Old 09-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i - Alpine White - Mods : "We're working on it..."

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='470453' date='Sep 17 2007, 08:06 PM
My EZPass reads just fine through my 2008 car and it was fine on my 2004 car. I don't see how the presence (or lack thereof) of a license plate would affect things as far as signal transmission goes...
Alright I figure this out, apparently my car does have Metal Oxide or something in the windshiled that prevents signal transmission

I was advised by my service advisor, to put the Ezpass either to the left or right side right behind the Rearview mirror, that is the only place it will work

I dont have my ezpass mounted, and in my other cars I would just either hold it up to the glass or put it on the dashboard

Anyways, just sharing my insights =)
Old 09-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by Magneto' post='109839' date='Apr 1 2005, 10:27 AM
Curiously however, the Illinois Tollway website lists both the new 7 Series AND 5 Series BMWs as presenting a problem for the IPASS unit. Based on that, I thought I would have to 'downgrade' to the external front bumper mounted device when my new ride arrives in Jun. Not really fond of that idea.

tcumbo, you say you're having no problems, eh? Do you have the newer 'small' unit or the original older, larger one? What tollways do you frequent? I travel 355 daily and would love to know that I can use the high-speed lanes without concern and without attaching my tollway money to the front bumper of my car.
I have the "newer" IPASS, and have never had any problems on any tollroad. I frequent I-294, and I-88. I say newer in quotes because it is about 4+ years old but not the one with the display. My wife's IPASS is causing problems on some tollbooths, but the Tollway Customer Service folks said it might be a case where the batery has worn down. Haven't had the time to get it replaced.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Members

I have HUD and E pass. No on my 550i problems.

However, when I replaced my M3 windshield replaced, they used the "climate comfort" glass similar to what is used on the 750. This caused the e pass to fail and my radar detector to have decreased sensitivity. I had them replace the windshield again with non "climate comfort" glass and both the detector and e pass worked fine.

Therefore, have you had your winshield replaced with new glass? If so, this could be a cause of Sun Pass failure.

Quick Reply: Windshield - contains metal oxide like 7 series?