E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Windshield - contains metal oxide like 7 series?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 04:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have HUD and have had no problems at all with my EZPass/FastLane transponder. As a matter of fact, I've moved it all around trying to find the most astetic position and have never had a problem going through the tolls.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm not a frequent user but so far, my EZ-Pass worked a couple of times with my HUD windshield as well...
Old 04-18-2005, 04:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I use EZ pass in Orlando every day. But, I also do not have HUD.

And I know nothing of IR reflective glass on the E60. Maybe that's an option in Europe? But we sure as hell don't have it here. I'm getting my front windshield tinted this weekend just because I can't handle the heat getting in through the front.... and it's not even summer yet.

Besides... IR glass would only affect IR remote devices. EZ Pass is not IR. It is radio frequency (RF). Another example of an RF remote is the HomeLink, or the BMW keyless entry.

An IR remote is like your TV remote, which must be in line of sight to work.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

I have LEEWAY/SUNPASS and HUD ... lately i've been having issues, but only when driving owards the right of the lane .... and only on a few bridges/toll roads ... not all of them. i guess my battery must be wearing down - which means replacingt he unit finally.

have you checked if your battery might be running lower?

and can we get the infrared shielded windows on the 5 series in the US? i thought only the 7 series could get it here.

--marco
Old 04-18-2005, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 18 2005, 08:58 AM
I'm getting my front windshield tinted this weekend just because I can't handle the heat getting in through the front.... and it's not even summer yet.
[snapback]116657[/snapback]
if you go see a dermatologist, and you can get him to give you a "Doctors Note" for having sensitive skin to sunlight - its perfectly legal to tint your front window.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

if you go see a dermatologist, and you can get him to give you a "Doctors Note" for having sensitive skin to sunlight - its perfectly legal to tint your front window.
Only in some states. Not Florida.

Besides... it's never legal to tint front as dark as I'm gonna go.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:40 PM
CTM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M6: SMG. Black Sapphire, Black Leather. Delivered: 03/03/07 -------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by tcumbo' date='Apr 18 2005, 06:37 AM
[quote name='Magneto' date='Apr 1 2005, 10:27 AM']tcumbo, you say you're having no problems, eh?? Do you have the newer 'small' unit or the original older, larger one? What tollways do you frequent?? I travel 355 daily and would love to know that I can use the high-speed lanes without concern and without attaching my tollway money to the front bumper of my car.
[snapback]109839[/snapback]

I have the new, smaller one that does not beep as you pass through the lanes. I have it mounted directly behind the mirror, on the passenger side (I don't even see it from the driver side!)
Attachment 6746
No problems at all. The way I can tell is I occasionally have to go through booths with the stop arm. They always pop right up as I approach them.

I am on 355 at least once a week from north end all the way to the south end.... I will look for you!
[snapback]116630[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm not sure about having any problems with IPass, (Although I haven't gotten any tickets in the mail, so I suppose it works), however I have a transmitter used to open my parking garage that barely worked. I had to get so close to the door, I found that I was hitting the garage door with my bumper (this did not make me happy). As a result, I found a new use for the sunroof - I have to stick my hand out with the transmitter. Looks weird I suppose, but it's better than scrapes on my bumper.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Apr 1 2005, 10:14 AM
Here in FL, we have Sunpass, a portable toll device so we can keep moving through toll booths.. in my E39, never a single pass with a problem, but with the E60, rarely a pass without one.? I have slowed down, moved the device umpteen times, and still, problems.?

Called the Turnpike Auth, they say that the 7 series has a metal oxide windshield and the E60 may have some metal in it too, although they didn't think so.

anyone else have any problems with toll devices in their E60?
[snapback]109804[/snapback]

Wassy, I live in Fort Lauderdale probably going through the same tolls as you are the only time I have had problems was when the batteries were low. I have also had a defective transponder. Sunpass has their office on Glades Road just West of the Turnpike entrance/exit, they will test it for you. Good luck
Old 04-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Apr 1 2005, 09:14 AM
Here in FL, we have Sunpass, a portable toll device so we can keep moving through toll booths.. in my E39, never a single pass with a problem, but with the E60, rarely a pass without one.? I have slowed down, moved the device umpteen times, and still, problems.?

Called the Turnpike Auth, they say that the 7 series has a metal oxide windshield and the E60 may have some metal in it too, although they didn't think so.

anyone else have any problems with toll devices in their E60?
[snapback]109804[/snapback]
I use it everyday, and NO problem with the Toll booths in Mass. TurnPike's Fast Lane transponder. Mine windshield is the non-HUD type.

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old 04-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Contributors

wow... big response... well - I bought a new Sunpass transponder, they said the newer ones are a bit stronger, whatever that means, and guess what? hasn't missed once! so, problem solved..

too bad the turnpike auth. wouldn't exchange it for free under the circumstances, but, no more troubles. thanks for the responses!

Quick Reply: Windshield - contains metal oxide like 7 series?