E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

I was driving one night and decided to drive with my stereo system off. I heard wind noise@80mph (not sure where exactly) so I made sure my moonroof/sunshade and windows was both shut(whole lotta noise from there with shade open) and I can still hear it. I did a search but thay had a high pitch wind, and thats @120MPH Just curious if anyone else hears it to. It's not loud as the moonroof/sunshade but loud enough to be noticed. I was expecting it to be no windnoise whatsoever, since these cars cost alot
Old 01-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

I was wondering how's the car's cost relates to the wind noise?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

My e60 always has wind noise when the moonroof is shut but shade is open. Samething with the loaner e60. But when I shut both, the car is quite.

I guess it's normal???
Old 01-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by davepham671' post='230513' date='Jan 27 2006, 07:37 PM
I was driving one night and decided to drive with my stereo system off. I heard wind noise@80mph (not sure where exactly) so I made sure my moonroof/sunshade and windows was both shut(whole lotta noise from there with shade open) and I can still hear it. I did a search but thay had a high pitch wind, and thats @120MPH Just curious if anyone else hears it to. It's not loud as the moonroof/sunshade but loud enough to be noticed. I was expecting it to be no windnoise whatsoever, since these cars cost alot
The point is that the E60 is such an silent car that all the noises comes out clear.

I get some air draught noice coming from around the windscreen after +75 mph
if the weather is windy. (Do not have the moonroof.)

I'm with you, a expensive car has to be silent!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by davepham671' post='230513' date='Jan 27 2006, 11:37 AM
When the roof is close but the shade is open, you will hear wind and other noises outside the car at any speed. I don't know if this is normal, but it happens in my car. I simply close the shade and everything is quiet again. If you are hearing whistling noise, then there is a crack or opening somewhere; take it to the dealer.

I just you found my comments about the windshield whistle at 120+MPH. Most dealers will not fix that unless they are willing to ride with you in the car at 120 mph.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Lateral shifts are also more prevalent with certain tires that don't like to stay where they are aimed (wandering vs tramlining). Also steering (by way of alignment) can wander if the design doesn't cause the car to remain or return "on center." I do find myself correcting "on center" of this car more than others. It may be me and unconscious micro inputs to AS, or it could be my snow tires... not sure, but I think it tends to wander more than my E 39 that had these same snow tires on it.

OTOH, I haven't noticed this car being any more susceptable to side winds than others, but then, my winter wheels have very slim spokes. Broad flat spokes or disc wheels "catch" more lateral wind (think motorcycle wire wheels).

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 01-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

.......LOL, ummmm

Let me put it this way, if you or I paid for a luxury sedan that costs about $50k, then I'm pretty sure you'd expect it to be exactly what it is a luxury sedan, with the usual amenities things like comfort, performance, and in this case a noise free cabin, and so forth. Wouldn't you?

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='230520
Originally Posted by davepham671' post='230513' date='Jan 27 2006, 07:37 PM
The point is that the E60 is such an silent car that all the noises comes out clear.

I get some air draught noice coming from around the windscreen after +75 mph
if the weather is windy. (Do not have the moonroof.)

I'm with you, a expensive car has to be silent!
Thanks,
Old 01-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

how about it is the front winshield high pitch noise due to a badly glued winshield... There have been quiet a few cars around the forum with this problem.... including mine....
the only solution and actually covered by BMW is to exchange the front winshield.

To find out if this is really your case push hard the fron winshield outwards.... like away from you while sitting in the car.... if the noise stops then there you go.... we found the problem.... this is exactly what the mechanic did while driving with me and hearing the high pitch windy noise....

also if you do a search you will find a lot here.... I think there is even some TIS letter cover this issue
Old 01-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

I've had the same issue since my car was new. Had it in for one service appt over a year ago, and was told it was normal. Well, it has since gotten worse and I have another appt next week to have them take a look. The wind noise is VERY noticable and not in keeping with any other BMW that I have owned over past 15 years. It sounds like the seal is bad. I'll provide update after my service next week.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by jeffnin' post='230595' date='Jan 27 2006, 04:01 PM
I've had the same issue since my car was new. Had it in for one service appt over a year ago, and was told it was normal. Well, it has since gotten worse and I have another appt next week to have them take a look. The wind noise is VERY noticable and not in keeping with any other BMW that I have owned over past 15 years. It sounds like the seal is bad. I'll provide update after my service next week.
see my reply above..... BMW knows about this... the winshield is badly glued on some cars... a pin head of glules is missing in one spot so the air gets in and creates a high pitch noise at high speed.... get the winshield exchanged for free under warranty....

Quick Reply: Wind Noise