E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Wife won't let me buy the sport package

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pharding' post='414218' date='Apr 16 2007, 06:14 AM
The sport suspension loosens up as you accumulate miles on the car. The sport suspension is definitely not harsh once it is broken in.
The sport suspension on my 2005 545i (20K miles) is not harsh, although most of my roads are smooth, and many complain that the sport suspension is too soft. You can always get non-run-flat tires, which should make it softer.

The 330i sport I drove had a noticeably harsher ride so don't use that as a comparison.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:17 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

IMHO the Runflats are a bigger contributor to the harsh ride than the M-Sports Suspension.

Try to convince your dealer that you will only spend the extra money on the M-sportsd package if they throw in the spare kit and swap out the RFT's for PS2's FOC.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='414242' date='Apr 16 2007, 03:17 PM
IMHO the Runflats are a bigger contributor to the harsh ride than the M-Sports Suspension.
And, after 12,000 miles, my opinion is still counter to that. Maybe after another 3000 miles around Europe in May I'll have a different opinion, though I still have 7mm of tread.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that the OP can get M-Sport suspension on the 535i in his territory. I sit to be corrected.

ABC
Old 04-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by juventus' post='414179' date='Apr 16 2007, 05:03 AM
I was all set to order the sport package on the 535i when my wife threw in the spanner.
She hates the stiff ride. Admittedly this was on a 335 sport; our own, soon to be retired 525 is a non-sport and very smooth.

Now I'm upset that I won't be getting the sport steering wheel or the 18" wheels. I can live with the non-sport suspension. Is there any way around this.

And I'm not too thrilled about the run flats either.

Sometimes one must go to extreme measures. In your case try lying about the sports package in the following manner. Tell her that BMW completely revised the sports suspension due to customer compliants around the harsh ride and noise. Also, tell her your own test drive revealed that the new sports package was very smooth and very comparable to that slushwagon non-sport 525. I'd also mention that you felt safer in the 535 sport as it felt remarkably more agile and responsive on the road. Then take her for a test drive on a smooth road and it would help if its a rainy or wet day.

End result, she'll feel right in her opinion (this is important) that the old sports package was too harsh and her valauble insight was confirmed by BMW's decision to change the sports package. Mostly importantly and hopefully, you'll be rewarded with a great hanlding and looking E60.

CVT Benhogan
Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Members

One option is to get 535xi, this way you get sport package but non-sport suspension
Old 04-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by juventus' post='414179' date='Apr 16 2007, 12:03 PM
I was all set to order the sport package on the 535i when my wife threw in the spanner.
She hates the stiff ride. Admittedly this was on a 335 sport; our own, soon to be retired 525 is a non-sport and very smooth.

Now I'm upset that I won't be getting the sport steering wheel or the 18" wheels. I can live with the non-sport suspension. Is there any way around this.

And I'm not too thrilled about the run flats either.
Then get the sport package, with confort seats, ann ask your dealer to replace the RF tyres by no-RF tyres : the car will be more confortable than the standard chassis with RF tyres & standard seats, and the ride will be smother when you'll drive fast.
The best choice for you & for her ! Trust me, my wife loves my E60 !
Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Buy your wife a Smart Fortwo .... use the spare cash to get your sports package... quite honestly I have just gone from the comfort of a 745 se to a 525d M Sport, I was a little concerned it would be to firm but it is fabulous, my 18 month old daughter is proof as she was asleep within 15 minutes of climbing into her car seat, my wife to loves the ride and handling.... Hang out for the sport mate, both you and your wife wont regret the decission.

R
Old 04-17-2007, 05:14 AM
Members

Suggestions:

1. Order the sports package - it's your car and if you really want the SP and don't order it you will always have a "what if" in the back of your mind.
2. Ditch the runflats - I have done on my 545 and now this 550 (although I waited for the OEM's to wear out) and it makes a HUGE impact on the harshness.
3. If all else fails - order the SP and ditch the wife.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i Sport, Man, Cold WX Pkg, Black Sapphire Met on Black

Man or mouse?

There are many options that have been postulated here and all of them are good to go. However, you have to ask yourself a couple of questions.....who drives it most of the time?.....how often are you going to have the speed limiter in the passenger seat?.....can you "ease her into it" by altering your driving style whilst she is in the car?.....who's money, who's car....and who's pants?!

All kidding aside, if she's not happy, you're not happy. Try all of the options above, but in the long run, it's all about compromise.

Good luck with your choice!

Spyder
Old 04-17-2007, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

"Man or Mouse"

I love this! Thanks for waking up the manhood in me.

All jokes aside, yesteday I swapped my non-sport e60 with a friends sport e60 for a day or two.
And all of you are 100% correct. I love the sport e60. It's a whole different car. And my wife couldn't tell the difference. BTW, sometimes I think that my Bimmers idrive has more brains than she does.

Once again thank you all very much

Quick Reply: Wife won't let me buy the sport package