E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why U need to pull the door handle 2x to open locked door?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Safety for the kids
Old 03-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

they made it like this because safety issues, i mean ur starting to driving out from the garage right, automatic locking all doors is very safety future for ladies or elders. And one more thing i mean when u park ur car in parking doesnt mean that u want to get out of the car, why would the door unlock itself when ur just parking somewhere huh. One more thing i hate japanese cars, when ur lock all your doors, doesnt matter if ur in drive or park, just pull the door handle and the door will open just for the front two doors. Thats just stupid. I like BMW future locking, safety first
Old 03-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by pinguhk
Safety for the kids
Thats different. if you turn on the child proof locks you can't open the rear doors no matter how many time you pull the lever
Old 03-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
Thats different. if you turn on the child proof locks you can't open the rear doors no matter how many time you pull the lever
Yeah, that's fine....but what about if you have a small child (or two or three of them) in the front seat? Or on your lap? Come on, think!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I hate how the japanese designed that lock when our of Park and unlock when into park. BMWs way is perfect for me.

When I pull out of the garage to let passengers in I dont want to have to unlock the door for them to get in.

When I arrive at my destination I dont want all my doors to unlock so any stranger can get in my car when I'm not ready to exit.

The double pull is good. Less chance for accidental opening of the doors, just have your friends be familiar with German door locks or unlock it for them.
Agreed. Love this feature. You get use to it to the point where it just becomes second nature. When I have a noob in my car, I just tell them, pull twice to get out. That seems to be enough for them to get how to open my door. If they struggle, i just push the button to unlock it for them or I tell them to pull the lever again. It's to the point where my sibs and mother know how to open my door. It's not that hard.

The putting the car in Park to unlock, putting it in drive/reverse to lock is a hassle. If you want to drop someone off quickly, in order to unlock the car, you have to stop the car, then throw it in park, and then have all your doors unlock just to let someone out of 1 door. I've been in a car that has this feature and sometimes if I need to run into a store really quick, I can't just pull the lever and have the door pop open unless they put it in park, or i hit the button before I grab the lever. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I grab the lever and when the door doesn't pop open, the level snaps back and I feel like I almost broke someone's car door haha.

I love that the car stays lock until I'm ready to leave and only MY door opens when I pull on that lever. American cars do the same thing. I rented a suburban this weekend and it had the same lock/unlock in park/reverse/drive feature.