E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why U need to pull the door handle 2x to open locked door?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have had four 5 Series and with each one you have to pull the inside door handle twice to open a locked door. Anyone know the purpose of this instead of it opening with one pull?
The following users liked this post:
hkslls1 (12-18-2022)
Old 03-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

I was wondering the same thing too... every guest in car takes 3 tries to figure it out lol.
I guess to prevent from accidental door opening during driving may be?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by pennetta
I have had four 5 Series and with each one you have to pull the inside door handle twice to open a locked door. Anyone know the purpose of this instead of it opening with one pull?
Safety -- to prevent an accidental door opening.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

To make it easier for gueats to your car who are unfamilair with the double pull, quickly press the unlock button first then its only a quick one pull. Nice safety feature though.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Safety -- to prevent an accidental door opening.
+1 ... when I have "novice" passengers on-board I quickly unlock the doors with the dash-button so they can open the doors as if they were in a Ford.
Attached Thumbnails Why U need to pull the door handle 2x to open locked door?-unlock.jpg  
Old 03-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2006 model w/ Nav

Originally Posted by pennetta

This is annoying.....in iDrive you can control the automatic locks under vehicle settings. You scroll through and uncheck the autolock box. The problem is that it disengages the auto lock feature as you begin to drive and I actually like that safety feature. So....I guess you will have to choose b/w the doors locking as you drive off or you simply get used to pulling the door handle twice. I normally do what some others have posted which is hit the unlock dash button first before opening the door to exit.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2006 model w/ Nav

Originally Posted by willbishop
This is annoying.....in iDrive you can control the automatic locks under vehicle settings. You scroll through and uncheck the autolock box. The problem is that it disengages the auto lock feature as you begin to drive and I actually like that safety feature. So....I guess you will have to choose b/w the doors locking as you drive off or you simply get used to pulling the door handle twice. I normally do what some others have posted which is hit the unlock dash button first before opening the door to exit.

Forgot to say that my previous car was an 05 Acura TL. The doors locked automatically but when you shifted the transmission into Park the doors would then unlock.....wish BMW's would do the same thing.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Originally Posted by willbishop
Forgot to say that my previous car was an 05 Acura TL. The doors locked automatically but when you shifted the transmission into Park the doors would then unlock.....wish BMW's would do the same thing.
+1, Toyota's same deal
Old 03-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Of course if the door unlocks when you shift into park automatically, it would make an intruder that much easier to jump into your car while your still in it.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by safetywork
Of course if the door unlocks when you shift into park automatically, it would make an intruder that much easier to jump into your car while your still in it.
Seriously... what better way than getting car jacked, lol.

Quick Reply: Why U need to pull the door handle 2x to open locked door?