E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Why the E60 550i is a dud....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

after I spent a few hundred on the rpi exhaust, my 550 became much more responsive off the line and actually throughout the gearing.
just hearing the transmission do its thing has also immeasurably improved my ability to get the most out of this vehicle. so sorry you are
so disappointed. maybe its time to join C on the dark side and pick up any one of the AMGs.
but take all I say knowing I am north of 50..............tsk, tsk. remember when you get to be my age to buckle
up that wheel chair.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Get?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Hey Gene - Your 535 sucks!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Mr BM
OH how decent of you Brit basher, and don't call me chap.

As with everything, y'all are OBSESSED with size. That must be why you are all so god damn FAT and why you need a 550i

My 530i has 292 bhp and rolling roaded has 273 lb ft of torque.

I am concerned you think at it's peak the 530i had that amount of power, as vehicles over here started with 252 I believe, and ended up with 272.

Perhaps they know that y'all can't drive around bends and tamed your engines over there.

And as for your collaboration - I would add that 6 directors of BP are British, and 6 my dear, are American.

I also note now that you are practically defending your vehicle that for the last 6 pages you have slagged off
And who has the 20% VAT tax now? HAHAHAHAHHAHA That's what you get for your welfare/surveillance state.

Never mind we are rapidly becoming a welfare/surveillance state too, at least we haven't gotten quite there yet!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - 36k miro 111's m5 front bumper and mtech rear Titanium Silver / Black Dakota sport package, cold package, Sirius, Nav, Logic 7, Rear Shade, Ipod Integration

I must say this post is ridiculous - like others have already stated you bought a SEDAN with a sport package not the other way around. The sport package makes a great looking car look even better, adds some handling and not much more than supportive seats. If you are truly after a SPORT car that doubles as a sedan but don't want want the maintenance costs of an M5 or S6/S8 then the only real sport car is the Cadillac CTS V, an 09 had over 500 hp (I think 550) - not saying you will be happy as it is an American car and from my experience the fit and finish are not as nice but obviously you don't care about that and want speed

Now about your complaint for these cars being pigs, go drive comparable sedans, I don't care pick one, A6 (with 4.2) TL type S, Lexus GS, etc - the BMW 5 series blows them away in handling, braking, accelleration, looks, etc. I know as I drove all of those cars.

Lastly most if not all car manufactures produce these cars to be reliable and not for all out performance (unless you by a car from a performance division, M, S, Cobra, etc) If you are 41 then you can remember 5.0's - they were OK from the factory but with gears, exhaust, intake, etc you had one hell of a fast car - again the factory wasn't going to build them that way as they try to keep costs down, your car is like a canvas so go mod it
Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Former Mustang 5.0 owners think alike. Along those lines, I taking my wife for a week in the Bay Area/Napa/Sonoma for her birthday in late July and renting a Camaro SS. Gotta get me some cubic inches.

let me know what you think of the Camaro. Im just curious. Ive driven the new '11 5.0 and it is a very capable car. Pulls very hard all the way to redline, but also has the braking and handling to match. Something muscle cars havnt ever had from the factory! Fit and finish in the new stang is something to mention as well, not german like yet, but very very nice for a domestic sports car. Ok sorry, back on subject...
Old 06-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by JMR545i
I must say this post is ridiculous - like others have already stated you bought a SEDAN with a sport package not the other way around. The sport package makes a great looking car look even better, adds some handling and not much more than supportive seats. If you are truly after a SPORT car that doubles as a sedan but don't want want the maintenance costs of an M5 or S6/S8 then the only real sport car is the Cadillac CTS V, an 09 had over 500 hp (I think 550) - not saying you will be happy as it is an American car and from my experience the fit and finish are not as nice but obviously you don't care about that and want speed

Now about your complaint for these cars being pigs, go drive comparable sedans, I don't care pick one, A6 (with 4.2) TL type S, Lexus GS, etc - the BMW 5 series blows them away in handling, braking, accelleration, looks, etc. I know as I drove all of those cars.

Lastly most if not all car manufactures produce these cars to be reliable and not for all out performance (unless you by a car from a performance division, M, S, Cobra, etc) If you are 41 then you can remember 5.0's - they were OK from the factory but with gears, exhaust, intake, etc you had one hell of a fast car - again the factory wasn't going to build them that way as they try to keep costs down, your car is like a canvas so go mod it
Good post, however i dont think the new cts-v will be 'cheap' by any means to maintain. Maybe less expensive than an M car, but if you are shopping for that caliber of auto then im sure maintnance isnt much of a concern at that point. Ive driven many other so called "sport sedans" with the exception of audi and the e60 with the sport package is leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. And how could I not comment on the 5.0, a set of 4.10 gears and drag radials would yank 3 cars on almost anything from redlight to redlight lol, ask me how i know. Those cars were the poster child for cheap speed lol.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 535xi Sport
Model Year: 2009

Originally Posted by DelVal550i
I have already walked down the mod path RPI/M5 Spoiler/15mm Spacers so far. How much more do I have to invest to make this car what I know it could be? I would have to chip it, change the final drive and add an LSD, lighten up the flywheel and do the intake. That's going to be 4k? Maybe 5k? It would be a fun car with the right mods but why cant this car come from the factory done right? Those Germans are well aware....

Who wants to buy a 08 550i Sport 6-speed black on tan with 34,000 miles? LOL.

UGGG!
I have a "Sport" button in my '07 550i SMG - want to trade?? LOL!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by cmoore_
let me know what you think of the Camaro. Im just curious. Ive driven the new '11 5.0 and it is a very capable car. Pulls very hard all the way to redline, but also has the braking and handling to match. Something muscle cars havnt ever had from the factory! Fit and finish in the new stang is something to mention as well, not german like yet, but very very nice for a domestic sports car. Ok sorry, back on subject...
I'm a Mustang guy myself but alas I cannot find a major car rental company that will rent me a Mustang 5.0 out of SFO. The Vette is a trip to rent buy the wifey and I will be staying in San Fran for a week and we will have luggage that a Vette vert can't fit. Camaro SS from Avis was about $900 with all taxes for a week.

On topic, the Mustang 5.0 gave me my love of V8s which has led me to the 550 as well as to my other prior V8s: 1996 Infiniti Q45t, 2003 BMW 540i Sport and 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport. I am sure that my next ride will be a V8 -- and one with a TT hmmmm, time for a tune.