E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do you prefer SMG over manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 Z3 3.0, Sports Package, Winter Package, 5-SpeedHard Top [built: pick up in Munich on 5.17.06] ED 2007 550i 6-speed (sapphire black/black dakota leather): sports package; active stearing, hud/nav, logic 7, cold weather package, rear heated seats, rear folding seat, power shades, comfort access, sat radio

Hi,

I've been lurking for some time, and appreciate this great forum... I've learnt a lot -- primarily that my dealer isn't aware of the myriad of options available to me. I've done some reading / searching but haven't found answers to my satisfaction for a few questions, so I thought I'd start a couple of threads with each of my queries. (Thanks in advance.)

Q: I've heard the formula multiple times: first pick if you want an auto or a manual. Then pick if you want a manual or an SMG. Well, I want a manual... every car I've ever owned (or driven extensively for that matter) has been a manual transmission car. Now, I've also read a lot of people that have the SMG jump up and down about how much fun it is, and that they're never going back, have no regrets, etc.

I test drove an SMG, but: (a) the dealer only had one on a M3, so that's what I drove; (b) I don't think I was driving the car "correctly"; and, ? the guy I was driving with didn't know anything about the transmission and couldn't help.

I'd be curious to hear more of the why from people. Why do you feel that the SMG is more fun than a manual? When do you miss a traditional manual? Can your partner drive the SMG some what reasonably with little to no experience in the car (I just finished teaching my girlfriend to drive a manual, and then we bought her a manual).
Old 11-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I specifically bought a SMG for the experaince of a manual but with better precision and so my wife can drive agressively with out the fear she is going to trash the gearbox.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Aside from reading the "formula," did you read though all the other SMG posts? (Start at the SMG FAQ thread then use the links there.)

Many opinions are out there -- probably the biggest reason I love the SMG, once you adjust to it, is the downshifts...