E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

why choose the e60 over the 3 or 1 series?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Are you kidding me?? Really?? I agree an M3 is a hot car, but I wouldnt give up my 545i for it. The M3 is maybe a tick faster off the line since its lighter and standard, but top end is all the 545i. Again, the comfort factor has to play into it here... the M is small... period.
You seem to be only interested in straight line speed and comfort. Perfectly fine view, but many BMW enthusiasts would consider handling dynamics as the top priority. The M3 is virtually unmatched. AND, it is subtle and comfortable when not attacking corners.

Glad to hear that you really like your 545 though. Mine was just delivered yesterday and I'm learning the vast differences in power delivery between a 335 and a 550. The V8 seems smoother and power is great past 3500 rpm. The 335 just shocked you into your seat once the turbos kicked it. It's a transition, but one that I'm liking.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by CT550
You seem to be only interested in straight line speed and comfort.
No, not really... comfort is certainly important when you drive as much as I do and I also have a family - 2 boys - so the added room is a plus. I have also mentioned the flat cornering, the responsiveness of the active steering etc. in other posts... my response here was strictly to the notion that I would cut off half my legs and sell my kids for an M3. While it is a nice car I can think of a few others that interest me more. After all it is still a 3 Series...

Glad you are enjoying the ride.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Cause the 3 series looks like a Mini-Me
Old 09-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by swajames
Some of you guys may be surprised to know that the total interior volume of the E60 passenger cabin at 99 cubic feet is just 6 cubic feet more than that of the E90. While the E60 is bigger, it's not as vast a difference as some seem to think.

Having driven both, there is a vast difference in feel. The most noticeable is the perception of much greater width in front and there is a more cab forward feel with the dash. For v8 owners the car has a substantial feel to it. While still being agile.

That said a couple inches matter and I'm guessing the 5 is only 2 inches or so wider. The 3 has absolutely no room for adults while the 5 er is just okay. The new 3 will probably be just right here like the current a4
Old 09-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

For the v8
Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Members

Have to agree with others here; it was the V8. Now, the E60 was sort of a consolation prize to me after some problems buying an M3... which I'm now in the process of suing the dealership in federal court for various violations I won't delve into here. Suffice to say with my money all tied up in the lawsuit I purchased an E60 545i specifically so I had a car to drive for the next 18 months to 2 years the lawsuit will probably take.

Having said all that; what a consolation prize! The M3 while highly focused and nimble is anything but subtle. It really does scream "look at me!" in ways that I enjoy but I think will get old. Also, it does take an awful lot of work to wring it out and really get the best out of the V8 in the M3. BUT, when I went looking for a stop-gap car I couldn't help but look at the E60 with a V8 because... well... I just really wanted a V8 with a stick that could handle.

I actually ended up buying my 2004 545i without ever having driven an E60 before and I for one couldn't be happier. This thing is comfortable and has incredibly long legs. However, it's deceptive; that V8 while quiet at highway speeds and idle is a monster when you mash the throttle and the car just takes off. Throw it some twisties and it comes alive in ways almost no other car does. I have been incredibly impressed with the E60... enough that I'm going to take a look at a new 5 series after this lawsuit is resolved rather than just the 3'er. While I've always been a "small car guy", this 5'er is just incredible.

I've also found myself loving things I never thought I would. For example the active steering gives me no lack of road feel compared to my old E46 330i, and makes moving this car around a parking lot a piece of cake. The adaptive headlights that show me the road around the bend... I thought it was a gimmick until I drove the car in the country last night and was able to see deer clearly by the side of the road in plenty of time to stop if one of them decided to jump out at me. And my kids love it
Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Members

+1
Old 09-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Members

The e60, was my choice, due to the room. There's room enough for my family in the back, and the toys in the trunk. The 550i choice was made purely for selfish purposes.

I suppose I'm making both my grandfathers proud... One loved the old school caddies the size of a boat, the other BMWs. The only thing closer would have been a 7, but, there just wasn't enough room in the garage with the other toys.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:47 PM
@mr
Members

My Ride: BMW 525i e60 (private) M-style,, Carbon Black, HUD, MM Interface. And a BMW 325 e90 (Business),

Originally Posted by Ceenit
I guess it boils down to, when I was was younger (in my 20s), rear seat room was not be such a big deal, my friends at that age didn't mind being a little cramped to ride in a 3 series. But now that I'm closer to 40, comfort is 'nearly' as important as style and speed.

Dunno what you did at 20... but for me at that age the rear seat room was one of life's most essential things
Old 09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Members

my e60 cost the same as a 2nd hand e46 m3 i picked the 530d

Quick Reply: why choose the e60 over the 3 or 1 series?