E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

why choose the e60 over the 3 or 1 series?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a friend of mine just got a 335i and he is convinced his car is better than mine. i'm really not the douchebag type to brag to others or even argue when other people are convinced their dick is bigger than mine. BUT, i figured it did pose an interesting question, on why people chose the 5 series over the 3 series or even the 1 series. for speed, the 3 and 1 series offer cheaper solutions, that's for sure. a 335i or a 135i i could have picked up for cheaper than my E60 and it would have been quicker. but personally, i chose the 5 because i'm 6'6" tall and the 3 series was just way too cramped for me. i just feel like overall the 5 series is more luxurious, and the 3 series is like what rich daddy buys his spoiled 18-year old daughter to take to college. what about you guys?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

for me, it was the V8
Old 08-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Contributors

I chose the 5 because it is classier, bigger, sleek lines, and just more luxurious than any 1 or 3 could hope to be. Mercedes Benz has a great commercial going right now about "what makes a car the best? 0 to 60 or 60 to 0? The joy of driving? The feel of the road?" etc etc.

I think the 5 series takes all of those wonderful elements of driving and puts it into a single package. Red light / Green light speed is a very small and unimportant aspect of everyday driving.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Members

+1 on that Mercedes commercial, it's a good one.
+1 on size. A 3 series was just too small.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I chose the 5 series for the same reason you did, I am 6'4" and a 3 was too small for me, the 7 was too big for my tastes - the 5er is just right
Old 08-30-2010, 08:18 AM
@mr
Members

My Ride: BMW 525i e60 (private) M-style,, Carbon Black, HUD, MM Interface. And a BMW 325 e90 (Business),

I drive an E90 and an E60.. both 525i.
The 3 is more agile, but as far as fun goes, they are peers. As far as comfort goes without losing sportivity.. it is the e60 hands down.
The 3 is so much smaller. I am 6'6" as well and have still comfortable headroom.. even better.. I am not the smallest guy in the world (and definitely do not have the measurements of an 18yo college girl ), but
I have plenty of room in that car.. Only both my kids who are taller than I am cannot sit comfortably in the back of the 3.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I agree with Bad Debt. The 3 Series is too cramped. I had a E39 that got totaled by a tree last week. Loved that car. Drove an '08 328xi manual at a dealer. Thought it felt cheap and the comfort difference was noticeable from my 528i. Saw an '07 530xi on Auto Trader, drove it, and thought to myself, THIS is what I'm talkin' about! Bought it the next day.

I think BMW is trying to reach a larger audience with the 3 Series, so they had to lower the price a bit to make it more affordable. Therefore, I don't think you can compare a 3 with a 5. Just my humble opinion...
Old 08-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Members

I have a family of 4 and own a 10 yr old local business, so I use my car equally for everyday business and grocery getting. Good size front/rear seats and trunk were a must for me, and it needed to have decent fuel consumption or comparible to my last car,
a vq35 Maxima.

Ride comfort, build quality and handling in stock trim were what sold me upon test drive. The just about perfect 50/50 weigh distribution was felt immediately as something very few mid sized vehicles i had driven compared to.

The smoothness, linearity, and bulletproof lineage of inline 6 was the cherry on top. Many cars in its class do not feel as refined top to bottom as the E60.

As mentioned above in relation to the MB benz C300 commercial, the 'message' struck a cord with me as well and I felt very happy happy with my recent purchase. As the satisfaction of being a 5 series owner is due as a result of the sum of its parts.

Did i mention its dead sexy?

The 3series may be more performance oriented and practical for city living , but its too small a car for me at 33. If it struck me, i would go coupe. Never understood the 4 door trim on either the A4/3series/or C class...The rear seats are for midgets and its equally as uncomfortable to enter the vehicle through a door as it is squeezing through a folded seat-the end result is a clausterphobic, sore knees to your chest ride regardless. I'm only 5'10" and i can barely survive a short ride back there.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

I'm 6 foot and roughly 230 lbs - Stocky. I test drove a 3 series before getting my 550i. While I think the 3 series coupe is very sexy\sporty it was way too small for me. I like the extra room provided in the 5 series when I have to reluctantly throw stuff in the car. I wish the back seats went down sometimes, but I guess that adds to the rigidity of the car.

Besides, it seems like everybody in South Florida drive a 3.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by tuffluck
a friend of mine just got a 335i and he is convinced his car is better than mine.
Of course it is. I absolutely love the 335 but it's just a bit too small... hehehhehe

Quick Reply: why choose the e60 over the 3 or 1 series?