E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Whistle, High Pitch noise at High Speed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by zoooming_by' post='317714' date='Aug 1 2006, 10:03 PM
Keep thinking that this noise is coming from the vents;
Listen, a couple people here have been telling you it's coming from your windshield. Why don't you believe it?
It IS a problem that BMW knows about!
It CAN be fixed! Even without replacing the windshield (mine wasn't replaced)!
The noise seems to be coming from the middle of the dashboard, right behind the vents, where the speaker is. But it is the seal of your windshield! Most of the times it is the TOP middle section of the seal, even though you hear it from the bottom.
Just trust the people here on the forum.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 06 e60 3.0, Silver on Black, Premium, Sport, Sport Auto, PDC, Comfort Access, Nav, Sirius, Logic7

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='317717' date='Aug 1 2006, 03:09 PM
Listen, a couple people here have been telling you it's coming from your windshield. Why don't you believe it?
It IS a problem that BMW knows about!
It CAN be fixed! Even without replacing the windshield (mine wasn't replaced)!
The noise seems to be coming from the middle of the dashboard, right behind the vents, where the speaker is. But it is the seal of your windshield! Most of the times it is the TOP middle section of the seal, even though you hear it from the bottom.
Just trust the people here on the forum.
Iceman,

I took the car to dealership last week - and as I have stated before they told me they have no record of a problem like that on e60s. And belive me, I like to belive that it is fixable without replacing the windshield.

As a matter of fact I will be going to another dealership in my area this afternoon to talk to them. I will keep you posted.

/z
Old 08-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by zoooming_by' post='317720' date='Aug 1 2006, 10:16 PM
As a matter of fact I will be going to another dealership in my are this afternoon to talk to them.
Seems to be a good idea, since your dealer told you that it is "normal".
Any dealer that tells a customer this is normal should lose his BMW license.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by zoooming_by' post='317720' date='Aug 1 2006, 03:16 PM
Iceman,

I took the car to dealership last week - and as I have stated before they told me they have no record of a problem like that on e60s. And belive me, I like to belive that it is fixable without replacing the windshield.

As a matter of fact I will be going to another dealership in my area this afternoon to talk to them. I will keep you posted.

/z
Man, I know what you mean. The only solution is to talk to the head tech, have him ride with you (tell him you hear the whistle under the speed limit), and punch it so he can hear it. Under normal situations, SAs are chickens and non technical about such issues. Speak to the head technician if you have not done so.

In Texas, these BMW dealers (Houston and Dallas) are such #@$@$$#, I don't know if I would buy another BMW from either one of these cities.

BTW, I have the same problem you have with the whistle noise but mine starts at 120+ mph.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='317851' date='Aug 1 2006, 04:43 PM
BTW, I have the same problem you have with the whistle noise but mine starts at 120+ mph.
Haha... Mine too, I just didn't want to say what triple digit.

I think I've never heard the whistling due to the loud House music playing most of the time.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 06 e60 3.0, Silver on Black, Premium, Sport, Sport Auto, PDC, Comfort Access, Nav, Sirius, Logic7

Well, I went to the second dealer in this area - and as I suspected they said they have never heard of this problem. However, they suggested that I leave the car with them - so they can drive the car at the highway speed! and try to isolate the problem. They also said that they will be taping the windshield to see if this is coming from the seal!!

Their approach has two problems - first I am not sure how they are going to treat my baby on the highway, I have tried to keep it ding free for over a year now - Second, they will not be hearing the sound at highway speed. I offered to take a ride with the service adviser, but they said they need to keep the car because it will be a lenghty process.

I am willing to bet that I will be picking the car in a day or two, and they will be telling me that they did not find anything wrong at the highway speed.

As it was suggested earlier, I must get the head technician in the car and take him for a test drive
I will make an appointment with them - and take a vacation day so I can be at their disposal during their INVESTIGATION ...

Will let you guys know what happens ...

rgrds,
/z
Old 08-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - Black and Tan (not a beer), sport package, premium sound, comfort seats, winter package, heads-up, Navigation, ski bag, split rear seats 1995 740iL Mojavie Brown (need I say more) Got a good price, For sale now.

This site is awesome. I had this problem last week when I finally opened it up on the back roads of Nebraska. I got the car up to 143mph and didn't notice any noise. However on my return trip I ramped it up to 135mph and I heard this god awful whistle. I had a friend in the car at that time and it was dissappointing that the car was making this noise and if this guy was considering a 5 series his mind was probably changed. BMW needs to fit these issues or it will eventually cost them sales. I have my first scheduled service appt next week and will get them to deal with this issue.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bigcgar' post='318158' date='Aug 2 2006, 06:48 PM
...BMW needs to fit these issues or it will eventually cost them sales...
They have!
They now have improved seals.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bigcgar' post='318158' date='Aug 2 2006, 11:48 AM
This site is awesome. I had this problem last week when I finally opened it up on the back roads of Nebraska. I got the car up to 143mph and didn't notice any noise. However on my return trip I ramped it up to 135mph and I heard this god awful whistle. I had a friend in the car at that time and it was dissappointing that the car was making this noise and if this guy was considering a 5 series his mind was probably changed. BMW needs to fit these issues or it will eventually cost them sales. I have my first scheduled service appt next week and will get them to deal with this issue.
Know the feeling - I had someone in the car the first time I heard it too. Let us know what they tell you ...

rgrds,
/z