E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Whistle, High Pitch noise at High Speed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 e60 3.0, Silver on Black, Premium, Sport, Sport Auto, PDC, Comfort Access, Nav, Sirius, Logic7

Hi Every one ...

My e60 has been great for past 12 months with almost no issues - However, the other day I noticed a very loud whistling kind of sound coming from the center console at high speed - Since I rarely go over the speed limit, I did not think about it much.

But today I heard the same thing doing 80 miles, had some head winds, and that prompted me to search the forum on this subject. The sad thing is that I found many people with the same problem - where the dealer changed the windshield as part of the solution!!

I love this car, but I will be very disappointed at e60s If I have to replace the wind shield to get rid of the whistle on my $58K car.

Any one else experiencing that ...

Z
Old 07-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by zoooming_by' post='315480' date='Jul 26 2006, 11:46 PM
Hi Every one ...

My e60 has been great for past 12 months with almost no issues - However, the other day I noticed a very loud whistling kind of sound coming from the center console at high speed - Since I rarely go over the speed limit, I did not think about it much.

But today I heard the same thing doing 80 miles, had some head winds, and that prompted me to search the forum on this subject. The sad thing is that I found many people with the same problem - where the dealer changed the windshield as part of the solution!!

I love this car, but I will be very disappointed at e60s If I have to replace the wind shield to get rid of the whistle on my $58K car.

Any one else experiencing that ...

Z
Hi and welcome aboard!

Yes, it is a common problem that BMW allready has a solution for. If you tell your dealer about it, they will take immediate action under warranty. It's noi big deal.

I experienced the same.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Iceman,
Is there a SIB for this?

It seems some service advisors are reluctant to help us when the problem only happens at *illegal speeds* in the USA. Without a SIB or prior knowledge about it, they can refuse to do anything unless they can replicate the issue.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

I know it has been posted before.
There is a SIB forsure and we have just been talking to somebody at BMW during our plant visit about it. It is a known problem wth a solution and the dealer should know about it, illegal speed or not. There is no speed limit on race tracks and private grounds, so the dealer has to fix it...
Old 07-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 06 e60 3.0, Silver on Black, Premium, Sport, Sport Auto, PDC, Comfort Access, Nav, Sirius, Logic7

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='315508' date='Jul 26 2006, 06:17 PM
I know it has been posted before.
There is a SIB forsure and we have just been talking to somebody at BMW during our plant visit about it. It is a known problem wth a solution and the dealer should know about it, illegal speed or not. There is no speed limit on race tracks and private grounds, so the dealer has to fix it...
Iceman,

Thanks a lot for the reply - As a matter of fact I stoped by my dealer today and once I told them that I can here a whistle at close to 100 Miles or so - they said that is normal for these cars!!!! And they will not do anything about that ... Also when I mention that I have seen people posting the same problem on the Interenet - they gave me the look, claiming that they have not heard about this problem at all

I would love to find out the SIB number - so I can prove them wrong - or maybe I should be contacting the BMW of NA directly.

regards,
Z
Old 07-29-2006, 03:42 AM
Contributors

Find the SIB and slap it in their face! JK. But just a crazy thought, if you have L7, and have a center speaker, it might be the problem of crappy BMW Sound System as well. Just a thought tho.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='316587' date='Jul 29 2006, 06:42 AM
Find the SIB and slap it in their face! JK. But just a crazy thought, if you have L7, and have a center speaker, it might be the problem of crappy BMW Sound System as well. Just a thought tho.
Well, I do not have the L7, but there is a speaker at the center of the consol. Today again I heard the same thing at 90. Tilting the sunroof gets rid of the sound - so it must have to do with airflow through the vents. Still looking for the SIB # - Help Anyone!

Regards,
/Z
Old 07-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

I've been looking for the SIB, but couldn't find it either. I know it is a known problem. Your dealer should be able to cure your E60. It is not only an E60 problem, BTW.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by zoooming_by' post='316775' date='Jul 30 2006, 12:47 AM
...it must have to do with airflow through the vents.
Actually it is a problem of the rubber seal of the windscreen.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

You don't drive fast enough ;-)

A little birdie told me that it starts (in my car) whistling at about 115-120mph but then it stops again at about 135-140mph...

Quick Reply: Whistle, High Pitch noise at High Speed!