E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's in your 5er? 3, 7, Z?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by jiio' post='325354' date='Aug 22 2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah, my car ratted me out to the dealership... It told them about my launches.

Actually, I was upfront with the dealership when I took my car in for service. I told them that my AA wasn't working and that I had used it about 5 - 6 times.

How'd they take it and did you get it fixed? Oh ya... you said you dont know yet... havent tried...
Old 08-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I think BMW was one of the first to be able to do this - I think starting in the early 90s they could tell exactly what the engine has done throughout its entire life. I'm sure as more components have come under computer control, much more details are available.

Car and Driver ran a story back in 95 about Mercedes Benz and their efforts to learn from MB auto crashes. They interview drivers as well as pull data from the car - actually scrambling their own investigative crews to accidents in certain markets. The MB people who were interviewed by Car and Driver claimed that the drivers in crashes would open up to them and be more honest with them than with Police or insurance agents. They claimed to be getting very good data that was helping them make rapid improvements to the safety systems.

With the wide proliferation of ATMs and traffic cameras, I would imagine video exists for a high percentage of traffic accidents. Police often subpoena ATM camera footage for a wide range of criminal investigations.

The benefit of mass data gathering is that the safety measures can be improved in response to -all- accidents. This can only benefit each and every one of us in the long term.

The amount of data that exists about each and every one of us is simply unprecedented. For the most part it remains anonymous and is really only used to trend or spot anomalous activity. I don't think it's worth getting upset over because there's really nothing we can do about it. The analogy I use when I think about this vast store of personal data is that it is like a piece of microfilm... the viewer has to have a reason to train the lens over a certain part of it in order to see anything specific about an individual. There is just so much out there to look at. Just assume -nothing in this world- is private and you'll be fine.

I remember 3 or 4 years ago, a lot of Mitsubishi Evo owners in the US were being denied warranty service because Mitsu was combining in-car data with what they -read on forums- about racing activities. They were able to identify owners and link posts to them. Remember, we are often our own worst enemies when it comes to revealing information.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Originally Posted by Znod' post='325271' date='Aug 22 2006, 09:33 AM
Yo, dude. Never trust anyone over 99.
Black box?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Members

dont fear the black box unless you have something to hide you may need to use it as a witness in court someday