E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

whats the first thing one does on his new iPad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DD_545i
I admit, I'm only reading (or sometimes skimming through) articles that come through my RSS reader and that's the basis of all my iPad knowledge. I haven't visited the Apple site to have a look. That two week delay is fair enough if it was known in advance. At least people know it's just a piddly two week wait.

I guess the dock having USB and SD counts as only half a limitation. It'd be nice to be able to have a few microSD cards in your pocket full of media files and just fit whichever one takes your fancy in.

If they are planning on some cloud computing capability then the 3G becomes super important if out on the go. A wifi isn't going to help you get anything done cloudwise on a plane/train/car in most cases.

It would be nice if OS4.0 was a free upgrade, or at least reasonably priced one (max $30 or so). I can't imagine how disappointed I'd be without multi-tasking.

OMG stop the presses, y'all are gonna love this...

As I'm writing this post I just got a call from my boss. He's sending me an iPad as I have to ensure my web applications run on it.

OS 4.0 will be free (as will all 4.x upgrades).

Do try the iPad with an open mind. I absolutely love mine.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stealthology
I refuse to use/own an Apple computer. I just don't want to take time to get used to using it. I've had an iphone for a few years and absolutely love it. If you use the keyboard a lot or if email is a HUGE part of your life, the Blackberry might be better, but the iPhone trumps everything else in most other things including web experience (ie. Safari browser is by far the best mobile browser). I run a small business and it treats me perfectly. The snappiness of the device is just unheard of in all of these windows based phones. The software Apple has is just crazy good in comparison, and let's not even get into the ease of use of the phone. A 4 year old can pick up an iphone and be getting things accomplished. Not sure if the same can be said about many other smart phones. I move from screen to screen with ease. Apple has perfected the app store while others have largely been very unsuccessful in copying.

Bottom line.. I will NEVER want to use an Apple computer, but in case you have been living in the dark for the past few years, they have something very special with their iPhone. You owe it to yourself to go demo an iphone at the apple store (unless of course, a Blackberry is more practical for you from an e-mail standpoint, or if you're not open minded).

I think the point is that you 'don't' need to get used to an Apple Mac, it's just intuitive from outa-the-box.

I bought an Ipod touch the same day I bought an HP Touchsmart computer. I'm still learning Windows 7 and the HP toucsmart software, meanwhile I instantly...and I mean instantly and intuitively used all aspects of the Ipod Touch and to this day have never read the manual for it....now that is brilliance !!

Sorry to say though, that Jobs is looking very thin and sick, once he's gone I wonder what will happen to Apple as much of it's brilliance is down to him. Just look what happend when he backed away earlier in Apples career, they nearly folded.

As for the iPad, I don't have a huge need for the device, but I still want it as another toy.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames

OS 4.0 will be free (as will all 4.x upgrades).

Do try the iPad with an open mind. I absolutely love mine.
I'll only be trying web stuff with it in Safari and Firefox at home, so none of the negatives I might have would come into play.

Glad to hear the i-gadget OS updates are free. I assumed it would be the same as MacOS - you get the minor updates free but upgrading to the next cat costs $$. I think my Mac Mini is still on Tiger. I guess my employer doesn't feel Snow leopard is significant enough of an upgrade to give me it.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Members

I'll only be trying web stuff with it in Safari and Firefox at home, so none of the negatives I might have would come into play.

Glad to hear the i-gadget OS updates are free. I assumed it would be the same as MacOS - you get the minor updates free but upgrading to the next cat costs $. I think my Mac Mini is still on Tiger. I guess my employer doesn't feel Snow leopard is significant enough of an upgrade to give me it.
Dude you rock! I would love it if you would give us your honest opinion as an apple detractor after using the iPad for a few weeks.

IMO Snow leopard is a fantastic operating system. Just bone up the cash. It's definitely worth it. I hated tiger, too clunky.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gregoryalee
Dude you rock! I would love it if you would give us your honest opinion as an apple detractor after using the iPad for a few weeks.
If they decide to send it. I suggested they just network it up and throw the vine VNC server on it and I can VNC in to it. Saves sending it internationally and me having to send it back. TBD!

IMO Snow leopard is a fantastic operating system. Just bone up the cash. It's definitely worth it. I hated tiger, too clunky.
I don't hate Tiger at all. My Mac gets switched on about once every two months for about 2 hours. Once the panic is over I switch it off and it remains off for another two months.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Members

If they decide to send it. I suggested they just network it up and throw the vine VNC server on it and I can VNC in to it. Saves sending it internationally and me having to send it back. TBD!

I don't hate Tiger at all. My Mac gets switched on about once every two months for about 2 hours. Once the panic is over I switch it off and it remains off for another two months.
Well if thats all your using it for I guess.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

A major, major part of the iPad experience is tactile. If you don't get to use the multi-touch and you don't get to use it hands on you're really not going to get close to the whole experience.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

+1... Apple needs to work with adobe to fix flash on the entire product line.
People, let me say from the get go, as i've just finished reading all the 8 pages of this thread. that: There are a lot of haters out there, and a lot of uninformed close minded people.

This isn't just a statement pulled from the hat, but a statement based on observations on this forum and many others too, that whenever a thread is started with regard of love or plain info towards Apple products, you can ALWAYS expect some people to start bashing the otherwise, trying to prove something...

Having said that i will not try in any way to reply to those people, as i think from experience, it just ends up in a waste of time.

But i will however comment ONTOPIC !

I quoted you gregoryalee because i agreed with most of what you said in the thread, as i agree with swajames (big respect for you man - in general) but i don't agree with the Flash issue and let me say why:

Flash tech is, as you well known designed by Adobe and not by Apple. As you also know it's a big resource hog even for some desktop computers let alone a mobile device that runs 99% of the time on battery power. That's not to say that i hate flash or anything (i myself included a flash banner on my company's website) but i wish Adobe would put a lot more work into making it better (resource wise). I don't know what's going on between Adobe and Apple (with flash) but if Adobe can't find a way to make it's tech less hoggy then i don't really think Apple should bother. Neither should it bother to babysit Microsoft into developing a great Office suite for Mac users.

Look i'm an IT guy above other things, as most of you here, and clearly Flash hasn't been improved too much since it came out and it still suffers one big limitation: webcontent created in flash is NOT indexed by Google and search engines. So pretty flash designed webistes, besides the fact that eat a lot of CPU, are not indexed. We need to move on and look for the future and the future sound promising with HTML5 (too bad the people that built my website did not know very well HTML5). I personally am not missing a bit with no flash on my iPhone 3G. On my Mac i used swajames' advice and installed clicktoflash, to specifically avoid all those annoying and unnecesary flash banners on the web, and load only those that interest me, thus saving page load time, bandwith and computer resources, not to mention embarassing situations when a flash content starts playing by default and i have sound turned on.

PS: iPhone, iPod touch and iPads, in a way, come to mutual agreement with Flash, and that's on YouTube, as the majority of the videos on youtube are flash based.

About the iPad, all i can say is that i hoped for more from the product but i realised it was just wishful thinking. I pictured the device as a Mac OS running platform with USB ports to allow me to connect for example to a headless Mac Pro (like my company's server) and do Terminal troubleshooting and stuff like that, or enable the iPad as a screen on headless machines. I realised, after the iPad launch, that even though this might not be impossible at all, it would be too hard to implement and most probably end up with a Microsoft like product (morphed to do all kind of jobs, but not good enough to excel at any). Not to mention the cost of the thing. People want front facing cameras, and back cameras, and USB ports but if still not satisfied, they may want eSATA ports or firewire but at the same time, if possible pay 10 $ for it. They want extensions, maybe even run some .exe files and installers, but then still want security, and if still not satisfied, they may complain about battery life which is drained by all that stuff or stability! Hmmm....

I for one am glad Apple is keeping a tight leash on things (like what Apps are ok and what is not, like what hardware is ok and what is not) because othewise we would be served by just another PC maker like HP, Sony, Acer, Toshiba and the likes. Apple tryies to ensure that what it delivers, works as it was intended by the manufacturer, not by the customer (and in rare ocassions i admit it fails, but hey nobody's perfect). The customer has the right and SHOULD be informed prior to buying anything into this world, and Apple doesn't hide anything into this perspective. Let's all agree that perfection is not a realistic real in this world, and thus no OS is perfect and no product is perfect (humans included). It's just a matter of flavors.

You get open soruced flavor software, closed source flavor, you get premium flavor, you get cheap flavor, no biggie. Also, speaking of open source: before i got to own a Mac, i was so pissed of Microsoft that i moved to Linux and i found from all distros Ubuntu as the most userfriendly. I was and still am a big fan of open source software, and most of the time donnated to countless organisations, but i soon then found out something which i feared the most: open software has it's limitations "bestowed" by the very judiciary foundation: that is to be 'open' with anything in it's contents. That's why companies like nVidia or ATI will never deliver the latest and the greatest drivers in an open source platform since that would mean giving up the inner specs of the driver for that device and that contains sensitive information like how the hardware operates, and in the tech world that is highly and very securely taken care of. Sure it sounds nice that the community is best to flourish but that most of the time means that some people would work for nothing (financially speaking). What's the good of investing tons of ours and plenty of $$$ into R&D, and then make it available in open source, and allow anyone interested to copy the design and create a new one with no real investment but create big returns in cash as it delivers closed source. Sure attorneys may argue that it's true that anything released open source, is modifiable with the condition to remain open source. So that means you can modd it but give back to the ommunity what you came up with, but that doesn't always happen as things are wrapped differently and sold as closed source or proprierty, and from a legal stand point that's very hard to prove. Cases with intelectual property are amongst the hardest to prove and thus to win. What company would want that much hassle? Is it not understandable or are we just so blinded by our selfishness?

Bottom line and conlusion: I had pelnty of experience with Windows, then Linux (Ubuntu, RedHat, openSuSE, Mandriva) and then OS X and i found the best os to be OS X. Not perfect but close to what i expect from an OS to do, work without causing me headaches.

Now time to go to

Can't wait to see what OS 4.0 has to offer!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay
People, let me say from the get go, as i've just finished reading all the 8 pages of this thread. that: There are a lot of haters out there, and a lot of uninformed close minded people.

This isn't just a statement pulled from the hat, but a statement based on observations on this forum and many others too, that whenever a thread is started with regard of love or plain info towards Apple products, you can ALWAYS expect some people to start bashing the otherwise, trying to prove something...

Having said that i will not try in any way to reply to those people, as i think from experience, it just ends up in a waste of time.

But i will however comment ONTOPIC !

I quoted you gregoryalee because i agreed with most of what you said in the thread, as i agree with swajames (big respect for you man - in general) but i don't agree with the Flash issue and let me say why:

Flash tech is, as you well known designed by Adobe and not by Apple. As you also know it's a big resource hog even for some desktop computers let alone a mobile device that runs 99% of the time on battery power. That's not to say that i hate flash or anything (i myself included a flash banner on my company's website) but i wish Adobe would put a lot more work into making it better (resource wise). I don't know what's going on between Adobe and Apple (with flash) but if Adobe can't find a way to make it's tech less hoggy then i don't really think Apple should bother. Neither should it bother to babysit Microsoft into developing a great Office suite for Mac users.

Look i'm an IT guy above other things, as most of you here, and clearly Flash hasn't been improved too much since it came out and it still suffers one big limitation: webcontent created in flash is NOT indexed by Google and search engines. So pretty flash designed webistes, besides the fact that eat a lot of CPU, are not indexed. We need to move on and look for the future and the future sound promising with HTML5 (too bad the people that built my website did not know very well HTML5). I personally am not missing a bit with no flash on my iPhone 3G. On my Mac i used swajames' advice and installed clicktoflash, to specifically avoid all those annoying and unnecesary flash banners on the web, and load only those that interest me, thus saving page load time, bandwith and computer resources, not to mention embarassing situations when a flash content starts playing by default and i have sound turned on.

PS: iPhone, iPod touch and iPads, in a way, come to mutual agreement with Flash, and that's on YouTube, as the majority of the videos on youtube are flash based.

About the iPad, all i can say is that i hoped for more from the product but i realised it was just wishful thinking. I pictured the device as a Mac OS running platform with USB ports to allow me to connect for example to a headless Mac Pro (like my company's server) and do Terminal troubleshooting and stuff like that, or enable the iPad as a screen on headless machines. I realised, after the iPad launch, that even though this might not be impossible at all, it would be too hard to implement and most probably end up with a Microsoft like product (morphed to do all kind of jobs, but not good enough to excel at any). Not to mention the cost of the thing. People want front facing cameras, and back cameras, and USB ports but if still not satisfied, they may want eSATA ports or firewire but at the same time, if possible pay 10 $ for it. They want extensions, maybe even run some .exe files and installers, but then still want security, and if still not satisfied, they may complain about battery life which is drained by all that stuff or stability! Hmmm....

I for one am glad Apple is keeping a tight leash on things (like what Apps are ok and what is not, like what hardware is ok and what is not) because othewise we would be served by just another PC maker like HP, Sony, Acer, Toshiba and the likes. Apple tryies to ensure that what it delivers, works as it was intended by the manufacturer, not by the customer (and in rare ocassions i admit it fails, but hey nobody's perfect). The customer has the right and SHOULD be informed prior to buying anything into this world, and Apple doesn't hide anything into this perspective. Let's all agree that perfection is not a realistic real in this world, and thus no OS is perfect and no product is perfect (humans included). It's just a matter of flavors.

You get open soruced flavor software, closed source flavor, you get premium flavor, you get cheap flavor, no biggie. Also, speaking of open source: before i got to own a Mac, i was so pissed of Microsoft that i moved to Linux and i found from all distros Ubuntu as the most userfriendly. I was and still am a big fan of open source software, and most of the time donnated to countless organisations, but i soon then found out something which i feared the most: open software has it's limitations "bestowed" by the very judiciary foundation: that is to be 'open' with anything in it's contents. That's why companies like nVidia or ATI will never deliver the latest and the greatest drivers in an open source platform since that would mean giving up the inner specs of the driver for that device and that contains sensitive information like how the hardware operates, and in the tech world that is highly and very securely taken care of. Sure it sounds nice that the community is best to flourish but that most of the time means that some people would work for nothing (financially speaking). What's the good of investing tons of ours and plenty of $$ into R&D, and then make it available in open source, and allow anyone interested to copy the design and create a new one with no real investment but create big returns in cash as it delivers closed source. Sure attorneys may argue that it's true that anything released open source, is modifiable with the condition to remain open source. So that means you can modd it but give back to the ommunity what you came up with, but that doesn't always happen as things are wrapped differently and sold as closed source or proprierty, and from a legal stand point that's very hard to prove. Cases with intelectual property are amongst the hardest to prove and thus to win. What company would want that much hassle? Is it not understandable or are we just so blinded by our selfishness?

Bottom line and conlusion: I had pelnty of experience with Windows, then Linux (Ubuntu, RedHat, openSuSE, Mandriva) and then OS X and i found the best os to be OS X. Not perfect but close to what i expect from an OS to do, work without causing me headaches.

Now time to go to

Can't wait to see what OS 4.0 has to offer!
You know what? You are absolutely right and I agree with you. Looking at the volume of words I thought I was gonna get my ass handed to me lol. I just don't see what the problem is between Adobe and Apple and it's really friggen annoying when flash is taking up 100% of my cpu on my macbook pro because I happen to land on a site running flash. You are right, Flash is a POS.

Adobe crap-ware causes problems on EVERY PLATFORM -->especially<-- in Windows installations. Just take a quick look at Acrobat Reader / Acrobat. I could go on and on about how many problems there are with this software Buggy garbage. Adobe has an excellent reputation, but that is built on the wings of Photoshop which ironically isn't even an Adobe program. A dude that lives in Ann Arbor michigan Licenses photoshop to Adobe!

The reason I would like Adobe and Apple to work closer together is simply because as shitty as flash is, it's still a standard and it's a stick that Apple gets beat with in almost every article I read and from Apple haterz.

Excellent post from you!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Um, if all Apple OS's are free how come they always want to charge my wife $9.95 for OS updates to her iPod touch? Is there a way to get around it? (this is a serious question here, off topic but serious)

Quick Reply: whats the first thing one does on his new iPad?