E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

whats the first thing one does on his new iPad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregoryalee
lol my bmw is flawed by some because I have chrome trim and isn't 500 horses. hahaha
I agree on the chrome flaw

Originally Posted by sessionmc
Maybe you should clarify what is a flaw or a limitation. According to you, my laptop would be flawed because it doesn't play my xbox games? Yes it has limitations that people like you will call flaws. But if you understand the use it is meant for, it is far from flawed.
The reviews on TV, in magazines, on websites everywhere are all listing the flaws of the ipad. Firstly, it doesn't support 3G. Why not? Simple, they want people to upgrade later to one that does (and get them to pay twice). It doesn't have a built-in camera. Everything has a camera built in these days (a Nintendo DSi XL has two of them). Again, they know they can make people upgrade when they put a camera in for the 2nd gen. Nobody can deny that these two are major deliberate omissions from a device like that. You wouldn't like to video skype with that? You don't want to sit in the park surfing on 3G with it? Hell yes you'd like to. But they don't want you to, not yet. No replaceable battery, no USB connection (how hard is that?), no expansion card slot (because they want you to pay more - they don't earn $$$ by you buying a 32GB SD card from someone else do they).

I've never touched or seen an iPad, I only know of these flaws from reading reviews of them.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport

Originally Posted by DD_545i

The reviews on TV, in magazines, on websites everywhere are all listing the flaws of the ipad. Firstly, it doesn't support 3G. Why not? Simple, they want people to upgrade later to one that does (and get them to pay twice). It doesn't have a built-in camera. Everything has a camera built in these days (a Nintendo DSi XL has two of them). Again, they know they can make people upgrade when they put a camera in for the 2nd gen. Nobody can deny that these two are major deliberate omissions from a device like that. You wouldn't like to video skype with that? You don't want to sit in the park surfing on 3G with it? Hell yes you'd like to. But they don't want you to, not yet. No replaceable battery, no USB connection (how hard is that?), no expansion card slot (because they want you to pay more - they don't earn $$$ by you buying a 32GB SD card from someone else do they).

I've never touched or seen an iPad, I only know of these flaws from reading reviews of them.
Once again, listing limitations as flaws. I would think a flaw would be something that doesn't work as it should. The iPad does everything it should 110%. My PS3 isn't flawed because it doesn't play PS3 games. My xbox isn't flawed because it does have wifi and I have to plug it in. Now my blackberry 9000 is flawed cause the wifi doesn't work. THAT is a flaw. My sidekick lx 2009 barely plays YouTube even though it's a packaged program. THAT is a flaw. The only flaw I see on the iPad is that apple let's apps be released that don't always work 100%. That is a flaw.

You people and your flaws. Aren't our bmws flawed because they don't run on vegetable oil? I mean... BMW should be planning ahead right?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Members

The reviews on TV, in magazines, on websites everywhere are all listing the flaws of the ipad. Firstly, it doesn't support 3G. Why not? Simple, they want people to upgrade later to one that does (and get them to pay twice). It doesn't have a built-in camera. Everything has a camera built in these days (a Nintendo DSi XL has two of them). Again, they know they can make people upgrade when they put a camera in for the 2nd gen. Nobody can deny that these two are major deliberate omissions from a device like that. You wouldn't like to video skype with that? You don't want to sit in the park surfing on 3G with it? Hell yes you'd like to. But they don't want you to, not yet. No replaceable battery, no USB connection (how hard is that?), no expansion card slot (because they want you to pay more - they don't earn $$ by you buying a 32GB SD card from someone else do they).

LMAO on the chrome!

It will support 3g if you are patient enough to wait some weeks for that version. I think that it's great that you don't have to pay for 3G integration if you don't want it. I concur on the camera omission however I don't agree that it's a flaw, but I can't fathom why there is no camera on the ipad.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sessionmc
Once again, listing limitations as flaws. I would think a flaw would be something that doesn't work as it should.

You people and your flaws. Aren't our bmws flawed because they don't run on vegetable oil? I mean... BMW should be planning ahead right?
I just call them flaws because I'm bombarded with tech articles in my RSS reader with the word flaws in the title. Ok, they're limitations. The point is though that they're deliberate cynical limitations and that Apple know they'll sell out the initial run to people who'll overlook those limitations just to be able to garner the envy of their friends because they've got one. Those same people will almost all upgrade to the next gen and Apple know that. You could say clever business by Apple then, they know their market. I say it's nasty.

How would you feel if BMW brought out their F10 5er and it didn't include heads-up, full navi, and MP3 support. All things that they'd already shown us in the E60 they know how to do and they consider valuable features. If they then introduced them after the initial surge to buy an F10 died down. Wouldn't you think that's somewhat cynical ?

I'm done talking about this now as if I'm the only one that thinks the i-gadgets aren't perfect. I won't convince anyone, I can see that.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

DD, you may not have seen that there are two iPad models. The one released Saturday is the standard WiFi model. The sister product has WiFi and 3G and hits the stores in two weeks. For all intents and purposes, given the close to simultaneous release, anyone wanting 3G too only has a two week to wait. I'll be getting both so I got the WiFi only device this weekend.

The dock connector in the iPad is also the USB connector. There is an SD card and a USB adapter that fits into the dock connector. If you need USB or SD (for example to import photos for editing on the iPad) that's how you do it.

There are plenty of ways to access your content and data over your WiFi or 3G connection. Apple has in fact been building a huge data center in South Carolina that's widely believed to be the precursor to cloud computing capabilities. Apple also bought LaLa this year and again is rumored to be getting ready to let you stream content you already own or have in iTunes from its iTunes database. That way, I don't need to keep my 80Gb of library on my mobile device, I can stream it.

By the way - Apple announced OS4.0 this morning. Based on the previews today, it includes what appears to be a phenomenal multitasking capability.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Members

I just call them flaws because I'm bombarded with tech articles in my RSS reader with the word flaws in the title. Ok, they're limitations. The point is though that they're deliberate cynical limitations and that Apple know they'll sell out the initial run to people who'll overlook those limitations just to be able to garner the envy of their friends because they've got one. Those same people will almost all upgrade to the next gen and Apple know that. You could say clever business by Apple then, they know their market. I say it's nasty.

How would you feel if BMW brought out their F10 5er and it didn't include heads-up, full navi, and MP3 support. All things that they'd already shown us in the E60 they know how to do and they consider valuable features. If they then introduced them after the initial surge to buy an F10 died down. Wouldn't you think that's somewhat cynical ?

I'm done talking about this now as if I'm the only one that thinks the i-gadgets aren't perfect. I won't convince anyone, I can see that.
Um... car manufactures do that all the time.. and BMW has been blamed for offering less for more money in write ups time and time again.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
DD, you may not have seen that there are two iPad models. The one released Saturday is the standard WiFi model. The sister product has WiFi and 3G and hits the stores in two weeks. For all intents and purposes, given the close to simultaneous release, anyone wanting 3G too only has a two week to wait. I'll be getting both so I got the WiFi only device this weekend.

The dock connector in the iPad is also the USB connector. There is an SD card and a USB adapter that fits into the dock connector. If you need USB or SD (for example to import photos for editing on the iPad) that's how you do it.

There are plenty of ways to access your content and data over your WiFi or 3G connection. Apple has in fact been building a huge data center in South Carolina that's widely believed to be the precursor to cloud computing capabilities. Apple also bought LaLa this year and again is rumored to be getting ready to let you stream content you already own or have in iTunes from its iTunes database. That way, I don't need to keep my 80Gb of library on my mobile device, I can stream it.

By the way - Apple announced OS4.0 this morning. Based on the previews today, it includes what appears to be a phenomenal multitasking capability.
I admit, I'm only reading (or sometimes skimming through) articles that come through my RSS reader and that's the basis of all my iPad knowledge. I haven't visited the Apple site to have a look. That two week delay is fair enough if it was known in advance. At least people know it's just a piddly two week wait.

I guess the dock having USB and SD counts as only half a limitation. It'd be nice to be able to have a few microSD cards in your pocket full of media files and just fit whichever one takes your fancy in.

If they are planning on some cloud computing capability then the 3G becomes super important if out on the go. A wifi isn't going to help you get anything done cloudwise on a plane/train/car in most cases.

It would be nice if OS4.0 was a free upgrade, or at least reasonably priced one (max $30 or so). I can't imagine how disappointed I'd be without multi-tasking.

OMG stop the presses, y'all are gonna love this...

As I'm writing this post I just got a call from my boss. He's sending me an iPad as I have to ensure my web applications run on it.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport

All operating system upgrades from apple are FREE. Ooooh u found another +. booyah
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

They started selling the *35d in California now? Does that mean y'all will be getting the F10 535d too? That'll be interesting to see how many people switch to that rather than get a 550.
Yep, the 35d X5 and 3 series are over here now. No confirmed plans to bring the 535d but that may change. BMW hasn't done the best job reintroducing diesels into the US, the marketing has been fairly poor (and they're having to offer credits to help move the cars) but word is getting out and the X5 at least seems to be selling well as a 35d. The only issue now is they're just gearing up the X5 LCI and that brings turbo gas engines for the first time (3.0 liter I6 and 4.4 liter V8). These may well take the focus off the 35d, which is a shame...
Members

I admit, I'm only reading (or sometimes skimming through) articles that come through my RSS reader and that's the basis of all my iPad knowledge. I haven't visited the Apple site to have a look. That two week delay is fair enough if it was known in advance. At least people know it's just a piddly two week wait.

I guess the dock having USB and SD counts as only half a limitation. It'd be nice to be able to have a few microSD cards in your pocket full of media files and just fit whichever one takes your fancy in.

If they are planning on some cloud computing capability then the 3G becomes super important if out on the go. A wifi isn't going to help you get anything done cloudwise on a plane/train/car in most cases.

It would be nice if OS4.0 was a free upgrade, or at least reasonably priced one (max $30 or so). I can't imagine how disappointed I'd be without multi-tasking.

OMG stop the presses, y'all are gonna love this...

As I'm writing this post I just got a call from my boss. He's sending me an iPad as I have to ensure my web applications run on it.
DUDE... YOU HAVE JUST WON ADDITIONAL MAN POINTS FOR ADMITTING THE ABOVE LINE!!!!!!

BTW: I have never paid for an iphone software upgrade. They have been up to this point free.

Enjoy your new iPAD hahahahahahahahaha

Quick Reply: whats the first thing one does on his new iPad?