E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What's the deal with SMG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Feb 28 2005, 01:30 PM
I find that the non-sport mode easier to drive smoothly than the sport mode.? In auto mode, the sport setting tends to hold the gear longer.? But in the normal auto setting, the gear change takes really long.? Either way, the auto mode is not desireable because it behaves like a really confused automatic.? It's also true, that people who come from stick-shift cars will have easier time learning, or adapting to SMG because you tend not to forget that you will have to shift gears.? My auto-driving friends who drove my car often forget to change gear.? They condemn SMG not because of its unique shifting nature, but solely on DIY merit.

Therefore, my conclusion regarding whether or not getting the SMG is; Try to drive your current automatic car in manual setting (many cars have it now) for a period of time.? See for yourself if you want the hassle because you may hate SMG if you hate to shift yourself.
[snapback]95279[/snapback]
speedracerF4i does not get SMG!

Shifting in sport mode in situations where you want faster shifting is a pleasure! Most people cannot shift a manual that quickly and a steptronic cannot touch it by any means. It really shows what a 545 can do.

Driving an automatic in manual mode has nothing to do with smg. Bad analogy dude! SMG is a manual tranny and should be treated as such...
Old 02-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Feb 28 2005, 03:30 PM
I disagree with this. When I feather the accelerator, I get less smoth shifts vs letting the drive by wire take over. Mentally, you have to remind yourself this car is smarter than you are. This is part of the reason it takes more than a "test" drive to get use to the car.
[snapback]95357[/snapback]
I agree to an extend; the sport setting under normal driving conditions, will change gears pretty smartly. Under normal settings, espicially 1-2 shift under hard acceleration, I find it smoother to shift using the feathering technique. I believe this is because you can back-off the acceleration's g a bit, and lessen the shock. IMHO, in my humblest opinion

[/quote]
I can't agree w/ this one.... I have steptronic tranny and shifting the steptronic seems more confusing than using the SMG shifter (or paddles). SMG in the E60 is really easy to learn to drive smoothly, you just need to spend a lil' more than 1 hr in behind the wheel time on the car.
[/quote]
I am neither promoting nor demoting the functional characteristics of SMG, but merely talking from the operational point of view. Assuming that people will adapt to the steptronic's manual shifting pattern, after all, this function is there for a reason. Now, I am suggesting that people try shifting for themselves on their step, due to the lack of an actual SMG sample; to see whether they want to perform the act of shifting or not? For the record "Steptronic does not shift as fast as SMG", but you row the lever up or down like the SMG.

It's like I love dogs, but I am not ready to commit myself to raise one. Too much trouble. However, people who have dogs may disagree and point out how easy and effortless it is. Let me first try tropical fish and let me see how it would affect my daily life first.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by PabloR' date='Feb 28 2005, 03:32 PM
[quote name='speedracerF4i' date='Feb 28 2005, 01:30 PM']I find that the non-sport mode easier to drive smoothly than the sport mode.? In auto mode, the sport setting tends to hold the gear longer.? But in the normal auto setting, the gear change takes really long.? Either way, the auto mode is not desireable because it behaves like a really confused automatic.? It's also true, that people who come from stick-shift cars will have easier time learning, or adapting to SMG because you tend not to forget that you will have to shift gears.? My auto-driving friends who drove my car often forget to change gear.? They condemn SMG not because of its unique shifting nature, but solely on DIY merit.

Therefore, my conclusion regarding whether or not getting the SMG is; Try to drive your current automatic car in manual setting (many cars have it now) for a period of time.? See for yourself if you want the hassle because you may hate SMG if you hate to shift yourself.
[snapback]95279[/snapback]
speedracerF4i does not get SMG!

Shifting in sport mode in situations where you want faster shifting is a pleasure! Most people cannot shift a manual that quickly and a steptronic cannot touch it by any means. It really shows what a 545 can do.

Driving an automatic in manual mode has nothing to do with smg. Bad analogy dude! SMG is a manual tranny and should be treated as such...
[snapback]95360[/snapback]
[/quote]

Aside from having my transmission replaced at 1,600 mi and having to wait 2 weeks at the dealer, I have enjoyed my SMG completely. I attribute this affection in part, because I have always owned manuals as my primaly car (wife drives auto only). It's difficult to disagree with something that I agree with in the first place, that SMG is a manual tranny. It is. However, the shifting action, at least the lever and the need to shift are both the same in SMG as in Step manual mode. I am very glad that you, Pablo, "get" SMG, I am sure of it. My analogy between Step in manual mode is not meant to similate the 2 type of transmission. They're not the same.