E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is x-drive good for ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm debating wether to order the xdrive option or not.

What is xDrive good for? Obviously snowy/rainy weather, righ?

Anything else? (we had a total 5 days of snow here this year, i didnt even bother to change the summer tires)

Does the xdrive help during good, sunny weather when you're making hard, hi-speed turns? You know, does it somehow stabilizes the car?

Or is it pretty much useless outside rain/snow conditions?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Kuat' post='404965' date='Mar 20 2007, 12:45 PM

Anything else? (we had a total 5 days of snow here this year, i didnt even bother to change the summer tires)

Does the xdrive help during good, sunny weather when you're making hard, hi-speed turns? You know, does it somehow stabilizes the car?

Personally, I love it. I really wanted the V8 though. Had they had a 550xi Sport, I would have gone with that. The only downsides to the xdrive are:

1) Aftermarket wheels are limited in choice, due to our high offset when compared to the standard RWD models.
2) The only company that currently makes lowering springs for our cars is Hamann. Dinan is supposedly working on something for our cars too, but as of right now, Hamann is the only one and they're not cheap.

I came from a 2003 E39 530 Sport and the one thing I miss is the sport suspension. However, the E60 is in a whole other league, so other things made up for it. I pretty much got my car completely loaded, exept for HUD, so I'm happy. Also, the current suspension is still nice and tight. The car still drives like a BMW and is tight around corners. Could it be stiffer? Sure, but so could have my E39. It's all relative. Not sure where you live, but I need to tell you that my car handled better this winter than my SUV. It's insane! I've never had an Audi, but I gotta tell you that when I would drive around in the snow, I was passing Audi's left and right without hesitation.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Kuat' post='404965' date='Mar 20 2007, 11:45 AM

IMHO, there is nothing to debate. RWD all the way. BTW, BMW excels in this.

With snow tires my 5er handled well in the snow and the traction controls keeps things undercontrol in the wet. If the weather gets bad, there is no reason to push the limits anyway.

CVT Benhogan
Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The E60 x is good in very slippry conditions.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Contributors

This is a great debate and do a search and you will see that it has been debated pretty thoroughly. For me, and only me, the long and the short of it is that the 4 wheel system is fantastic on snow, while the i has a tremendous suspension with active suspension, not available on the xi. If you live in an area that gets beaten on every year by Mother Nature, then give an xi serious consideration. If you get normal snowfall, like what you got this year, and if suspension is important to you, get the i. All you need is another set of wheels with snow tires, and you will cruise through winter. The cost of the wheel and winter snows cancel out the additional price of the xi, and then you get what I think is one of the best 4 door sedan suspensions on the market. Besides, if you get an xi with a sport package and sport wheels, you will need snow tires anyway.

Again, just my .02

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='404976' date='Mar 20 2007, 01:32 PM
This is a great debate and do a search and you will see that it has been debated pretty thoroughly. For me, and only me, the long and the short of it is that the 4 wheel system is fantastic on snow, while the i has a tremendous suspension with active suspension, not available on the xi. If you live in an area that gets beaten on every year by Mother Nature, then give an xi serious consideration. If you get normal snowfall, like what you got this year, and if suspension is important to you, get the i. All you need is another set of wheels with snow tires, and you will cruise through winter. The cost of the wheel and winter snows cancel out the additional price of the xi, and then you get what I think is one of the best 4 door sedan suspensions on the market. Besides, if you get an xi with a sport package and sport wheels, you will need snow tires anyway.

Again, just my .02

Good luck.
Well said. I totally agree. My wife had to have the AWD this time around, since she almost hit a car 2 years ago head on in the E39. The car fishtailed out into oncoming traffic (summer tires...never replaced them with winters...I know stupid, but we just moved back to NY from living in Cali.) and she saw her life flash before her eyes. I had no choice when it came to the new car, but trust me, if I could do it over again, I would get the 550 with winter wheels/tires, without question...unless of course, I lived on the Tundra.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='404976' date='Mar 20 2007, 12:32 PM
while the i has a tremendous suspension with active suspension, not available on the xi.
could you please expand on that ? the suspension is different on the non-x version? are you talking about the optional "Dynamic Drive" ?

how exactly is it different? is it more comfortable?

i love the soft/comfort ride. we got shitty raods here (bumps and stuff) so this is important.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Kuat' post='404980' date='Mar 20 2007, 01:43 PM
could you please expand on that ? the suspension is different on the non-x version? are you talking about the optional "Dynamic Drive" ?

how exactly is it different? is it more comfortable?

i love the soft/comfort ride. we got shitty raods here (bump and stuff) so this is important.
The x-drive does not have ARS (Active Roll Stablization) or the Sport Suspension Calibration. It also sits 14mm higher than the Sport model. I have the xi Sport. With this, I get:
1) Shadowline Trim
2) 3 Spoke Sport Steering wheel
3) 20-way power multi-contour front seats

**4) 18" 123 Wheels (NOTE: these wheels are an additional OPTION on the xi. With the standard 530i Sport, these wheels come part of the Sport package)

BUT I do not get, ARS or the Sport Tuned Suspension. The Sports package on the xi is cheaper therefore, but with the 18" wheels, it jumps a bit closer to the price of the Sport pack on the standard 530i.

My suspension is more in line with a non-sport model.

Does this make sense? Take a look at my pix in my Gallery. I debadged my car, so if you didn't know any better, you would think my car is a 530i Sport.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Contributors

One other thing... You can't get SMG in the xi model. Not sure if you were considering this transmission, but if you are, the xi does not come with it. That may help with your decision.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='404987' date='Mar 20 2007, 01:01 PM
One other thing... You can't get SMG in the xi model. Not sure if you were considering this transmission, but if you are, the xi does not come with it. That may help with your decision.
So the ARS (Active Roll Stablization) = Sport Suspension component? (i.e., comes when you order the Sport suspension)
Or is it a stock option for all non X versions?

I like soft ride, and Sport suspension surerly must be more stiff?

Quick Reply: What is x-drive good for ?