E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='248208' date='Mar 2 2006, 02:12 AM
Imagine the depreciation on a 760
You don't have to imagine - let me draw you a picture:

What would you do?-depreciation_index.png

It's HORRIBLE - looks like a ski jump !!!!! Please don't buy a brand new one
Old 03-02-2006, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Arrow

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='247926' date='Mar 1 2006, 01:59 PM
Actually, Znod, your inferences are not "quite reasonable" in this case.

You should go drive one just for the sake of doing it. I mean really drive one, not the old-lady spin around the block next to the dealership test-drive, but one where you put the VANOS and the ARS to good use (and not just see those acronyms as "points" in a mythical Scrabble game )

The harder you push the 750i, the smaller and more nimble it feels. Try it. Plus, it's only about 600lbs heavier than a 545i and has a better f/r weight distribution than the 5er. The 0-60 numbers between the 2 cars are minimal and only something your trusty G-Meter could pick up (something like 5.6 for the 545 and 5.8 for the 750?)

Funny, that B2round would ask this question, i.e. 550 or 750, because I am now struggling with the same issue - although it's between an M5 and 750.

I've always felt that the M5 was grossly overpriced for what you get and, more importantly, what I plan to do with it -- e.g., drive it around town with the occasional "push-it-to-max" driving experience.

With the 750, I get more luxury amenities, better gas mileage and a cheaper price.

M5 = MSRP (in my case around 92k before taxes, license, etc.)
750i = tad lower than Invoice (in may case around 74k before taxes, license, etc.)
Znod who is this guy IPSE DIXIT that give us all this good information along with you and many others??
Every time somebody asks him where he is from and a profile he ignores it and never replys.Hoping he might reply this time.
cheers
vern
Old 03-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Members

Thanks for sharing! A few interesting things came to mind as I read the different comments. The biggest of which is not much of what was said is fact based! For what I can gather, most of the respondents have never even been in a 7 much less drove one. The assumption seems to be that it is to big and not as fun to drive blah, blah, and blah. According to the tech data (automatic trans values), a 750i is 7 inches longer, 1 inch taller, and 672 pounds heavier than a 550i. The 0-60 times are not that far apart 5.8 (750i) to 5.5 (550i) and fuel consumption is dead even. So where is the ?boat??

I have a 550i on order (due to arrive next month) but that does not blind me to the fact that a 7 series may be the better car (all prices being equal). I admit I have not driven a 7 either but I stopped by the dealership yesterday and the 7 is absolutely gorgeous. There is no comparison in the fit and finish between the 7 and the 5. Sitting in that car one quickly understands why it is BMWs flagship model. After getting out of the 750 I went and sat in a 550 and to be honest the 5 felt kind of cheap.

I have owned a 328 and a 530 and both were special in their own way. Each brought a different set of qualities to the table that made owning it a pleasure. This is an e60 forum so I knew there would be some bias but I can?t help but compare it to being back in school and secretly having a crush on someone but when asked about it you down played the attraction or even denied it. I do not have preference either way (I guess I do I ordered the 5 ) all I am saying is the 7 is a nice car and if money factor was equal I would ask her out ! Who knows I may take her on a test ?date? this weekend?

BTW - where are you guys getting the depreciation data? And I am surprised no one mentioned the reliability issues with the e65 .

Again thanks for sharing

B2
Old 03-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I would have liked the 750. I really like big cars, and the 750 really looks good with 20" wheels. Specially in my case, 3 kids, I could use all the larger backseat space that comes with the 7r. Unfortuneatly, finances did come into play and I had to settle for a 550!
Old 03-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Members

Forgot to add the link for intelliChoice which rates the 750i excellent inholding vaule However, the 760i is another story

B2

http://www.intellichoice.com/reports/vehic...e/BMW/model/750

Originally Posted by B2round' post='249069' date='Mar 3 2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks for sharing! A few interesting things came to mind as I read the different comments. The biggest of which is not much of what was said is fact based! For what I can gather, most of the respondents have never even been in a 7 much less drove one. The assumption seems to be that it is to big and not as fun to drive blah, blah, and blah. According to the tech data (automatic trans values), a 750i is 7 inches longer, 1 inch taller, and 672 pounds heavier than a 550i. The 0-60 times are not that far apart 5.8 (750i) to 5.5 (550i) and fuel consumption is dead even. So where is the ?boat??

I have a 550i on order (due to arrive next month) but that does not blind me to the fact that a 7 series may be the better car (all prices being equal). I admit I have not driven a 7 either but I stopped by the dealership yesterday and the 7 is absolutely gorgeous. There is no comparison in the fit and finish between the 7 and the 5. Sitting in that car one quickly understands why it is BMWs flagship model. After getting out of the 750 I went and sat in a 550 and to be honest the 5 felt kind of cheap.

I have owned a 328 and a 530 and both were special in their own way. Each brought a different set of qualities to the table that made owning it a pleasure. This is an e60 forum so I knew there would be some bias but I can?t help but compare it to being back in school and secretly having a crush on someone but when asked about it you down played the attraction or even denied it. I do not have preference either way (I guess I do I ordered the 5 ) all I am saying is the 7 is a nice car and if money factor was equal I would ask her out ! Who knows I may take her on a test ?date? this weekend?

BTW - where are you guys getting the depreciation data? And I am surprised no one mentioned the reliability issues with the e65 .

Again thanks for sharing

B2
Old 03-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Members

I like the honesty

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='249072' date='Mar 3 2006, 08:04 AM
I would have liked the 750. I really like big cars, and the 750 really looks good with 20" wheels. Specially in my case, 3 kids, I could use all the larger backseat space that comes with the 7r. Unfortuneatly, finances did come into play and I had to settle for a 550!
Old 03-03-2006, 12:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by B2round' post='249069' date='Mar 3 2006, 06:48 AM

B2
The data I quoted was from WhatCar's depreciation index, which is based on the UK Market.

I think it worth adding that the 760i doesn't depreciate much worse than it's peers.

What would you do?-depreciation_index.png

I don't have the bank balance to live with a ?40K drop in value year one