E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: What type of transmission do you have in your E60?
SMG
14.72%
Steptronic (automatic)
61.35%
Manual
23.93%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

What type of transmission do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Regret to get steptronic for my car. I would love to get the SMG. NEVER drive a SMG before in my life. My next car will definately be a SMG.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i w/ sports and premium pakage, titanium silver, gray dakota leather w/ polar grain wood trim, steptronic

i don unerstand why BMW didn't put SMG on 525s.Thats no fair!!!!! never

tried SMG but if i could get SMG on 525 , i would've got it.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Members

My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 27 2004, 02:54 PM
It's interesting that someone brought up the resale issue.? Well, according to the poll result so far, automatic consists for more than 60%, so it's reasonable to expect it to resell better.

Anyone know why Smg has the worst mileage of the 3? Heck, the automatic is even more frugal than stick, breaking the conventional belief that stick should be more gas friendly.?

I see everyone have only positive things to say regarding their transmission choice.? I thank you for your input.? However, has anyone regreted in anyway, or think they should of gone the other way?? Anything we should watch out for? <_<
[snapback]19145[/snapback]
Speedracer.....

Do you regret your SMG? Wish you would have gone Steptronic?
I'm torn between 6 speed manual and Steptronic... mostly because of resale (favors Steptronic) and potential problems (favors Manual) down the road.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
Old 11-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Spartacus,

There are times when I wished for automatics, like when you're trying to find a street, or talking on the phone while in a busy street. But I think it's because my brain is still thinking on when to shift. It was the same when I first started driving stick shift 15 years ago, but shifting became so transparent and reflexive after a short while. I fully expect to master SMG in a month.

I am also enjoying the novelty effect the SMG endows me. I love it when people ask me whether I got the auto or stick, and I tell them neither. They all shrink their eye browns with disbelief. I just love it being different!

Now, let me warn you. The auto mode in SMG is NOT comparable to the steptronic both in smoothness, nor response wise. Think of it as a "limping mode" of a confused automatic.

One major advantage of SMG is the smooth, rev-matched downshifts. This is the major difference between manually shifting an automatic and SMG.

You have to decide for yourself. Read as much as possible because a short test drive is not going to convince you, or detract you from choosing this transmission.

Good luck
Old 11-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Nov 22 2004, 02:03 PM
One major advantage of SMG is the smooth, rev-matched downshifts.? This is the major difference between manually shifting an automatic and SMG.

You have to decide for yourself. Read as much as possible because a short test drive is not going to convince you, or detract you from choosing this transmission.

Good luck
[snapback]59386[/snapback]
Agree completely. It's funny -- there's more and more "buzz" about SMGs recently. I think it's because more people are "taking the plunge" or seriously considering it. When you read all the opinions of SMG owners, there seems to be a general consensus that they would buy another one. The people who aren't sure yet are the ones that either haven't driven one enough or are unwilling to take the plunge at this time for whatever reason. What confuses me is when I hear people saying they are reading "mixed" reviews or when they say they've heard many negative things from SMG owners. Even on RF, I haven't seen too much negativity from actual owners. Just about every SMG owner seems to post rave reviews, not mediocre ones!

That said, it's clearly a decision that is made on an individual basis and there's nothing wrong with sticking with the old-fasioned, outdated technology of a traditional manual.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

For my "Poor man's 545i" i finally but reluctantly chose Steptronic!
Old 11-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Members

I am exited about SMG and want to get it in my new 545i now.
I have just 1-2 years experience in manual shift in my young age, but I've been driving automatic for more than 20 years. Recently, I had chance to test drive M3 for quite long time. It worked out perfectly. First, my SA showed me how to drive by himself, I was sitting next to him and got shocked. Boy, it was smashing like a real sport car! Then, I sit in the driving seat and drove it as my first experience. Yes, it was jurky especially from 1 to 2nd gear, but all of the sudden, I got how to handle it. There was no shift shock above 2nd with slight pedal off after pushing a paddle. It was a bit busy in corner with shifting, but was almost like a racing drive and I could almost same speed and quick shift as my SA
Yes, I am not a typical auto driver but l drive like a manual even with auto shift. Bottom line, even with the auto driver, SMG is not a problem at all once people insrire it. I am almost changing my mind and get a replacement order with SMG now
Old 01-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Wow, great thread! I know much more about the SMG now. Thanks Rudy for the link from my poll.

SpeedracerF4i, give us an update on your SMG experience if your out there. I need to know.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Jan 26 2005, 10:42 PM
Wow, great thread!? I know much more about the SMG now. Thanks Rudy for the link from my poll.

SpeedracerF4i, give us an update on your SMG experience if your out there. I need to know.
[snapback]83588[/snapback]
First time i have an "automatic" Steptronic.
what's wrong in using it in manual when you want drive in that way ?
Only disadvantage is that it is sequential, you cannot shift down 4th to 2nd in one step, but it is very easy and quick to do two kicks.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ricky' date='Jan 27 2005, 10:52 AM
[quote name='markt540i' date='Jan 26 2005, 10:42 PM']Wow, great thread!? I know much more about the SMG now. Thanks Rudy for the link from my poll.

[snapback]83588[/snapback]
First time i have an "automatic" Steptronic.
what's wrong in using it in manual when you want drive in that way ?
Only disadvantage is that it is sequential, you cannot shift down 4th to 2nd in one step, but it is very easy and quick to do two kicks.

[snapback]83734[/snapback]
[/quote]
Except that Steptronic downshifts aren't even close to the downshifts of the SMG...

Quick Reply: What type of transmission do you have?