E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: What type of transmission do you have in your E60?
SMG
14.72%
Steptronic (automatic)
61.35%
Manual
23.93%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

What type of transmission do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual transmission, and I really appreciate the improved performance, sportier feel and better fuel economy. No desire to have an auto. - Maybe if I lived in a city (and when I get to retirement age!)

James
Old 07-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Is the SMG on the M3 different or better then the one on the E60.

I thought SMG is SMG?
Old 07-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 27 2004, 09:20 AM
I believe among all those flashy options now offered, the toughest and the most important choice when buying your E60, remains the type of transmission you have to choose. It is a relationship killer between you and your loved E60 if you choose the wrong transmission.

The choice has become tougher now with the addition of SMG, which is a fairly new and unconventional way to shift. Some people have chosen this but regreted big time afterward.

I have a 545i in order with steptronic because in short, my wife refuses to use her five limbs (head counts too!) to drive. The SMG gets poorer mileage, jerky auto mode and carries $1,000 guzzler tax. With the removal of this guzzler tax for MY05, I am tempted to change my transmission choice to SMG (there is still time for Nov delivery).

I know many people in this board are confronted with this dilema including myself. If would help us tremendously is you share your experience on your choice of transmission with us, be it stick, auto or smg. I am sure that many of you made your choice not because you wanted, but you have to, for whatever reason.

We would like to know if you have any regrets, or praises of your tranny and why. Anything we should expect?
As somone else posted, you really must put some time in before judging the SMG. I find the shifts are crisp and the downshifting is especially awesome - 3 clicks in rapid succession and brrrrmmmmm....

No gas guzzler on mine delivered April 15th.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Jul 29 2004, 10:52 PM
Is the SMG on the M3 different or better then the one on the E60.

I thought SMG is SMG?
It is different!
Old 07-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Different and clearly more advanced (better) on the M3.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

I have read the BMW catalog on the M3 and it appears it has some additional programs for SMG.

Anyone care to elaberate on the differences and educate some of us non-SMG owners.

What makes the SMG better on the M3?

Is it the transmission?
Is it the SMG clutch assemble itself?
Is it just the additional programs.
Something else?
Old 07-30-2004, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

A few questions regarding SMG: (I did drive it, but with limited exposure).

1. If you rev the engine while on "N", and then suddenly shift to 1, will the car drop the clutch violently? or will it lag a bit to match the rev and smooth out the take off?

2. Is it best to shift with foot on or off the gas pedal?

3. Why does SMG gets 2 mpg less than steptronic?

4. During traffic, or short successive stops, can one briefly shift to N and back to gear. This is to prevent compression braking in the low gears and jerking the car.

A few questions regarding Steptronic:

1. If down shifting in manual mode 1 or 2 gears, is there a lot of unpleasant lag or jerkiness?

2. Is the 6th gear really tall? Thus requiring the transmission to hunt between 5th and 6th often.

A question regarding Stick:

Has anyone removed the CDV (clutch delay valve) and seen any benefit?
Anybody installed a short-throw shift kit?
Old 07-30-2004, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Jul 30 2004, 11:06 AM
I have read the BMW catalog on the M3 and it appears it has some additional programs for SMG.

Anyone care to elaberate on the differences and educate some of us non-SMG owners.

What makes the SMG better on the M3?

Is it the transmission?
Is it the SMG clutch assemble itself?
Is it just the additional programs.
Something else?
For one thing, I think the SMG on the M3 is made by a different company. I remember reading somewhere that the E60 SMG is made my Magnetti Marelli but I can't recall who makes the one on the M-cars.

The M3 SMG has something called "Drivelogic" which contains many more graduations of sport settings. On the E60, you have two settings, normal and sport. On the M, you have something like 6 total settings. The extreme sport setting requires DSC to be off. The upshifts are so quick that the tires actually chirp with each shift!

There is also some lights on the tach that indicate optimum shift points, etc. that we don't have on the E60 and there's probably more stuff that I can't think of now.

Also, the M3 steering wheel paddles are set up more like a race car where you upshift with the right paddle and downshift with the left paddle. The E60 works a bit differently where each paddle does the same thing -- you pull them toward you with your fingers to upshift and push them away from you with your thumb to downshift. (I actually think this way makes more sense and is less confusing.)

There is a video or flash somewhere out there on one of BMW's sites about the SMG with Drivelogic. If I have a chance, I'll post a link.

edit: I found the link. Click here then click on the "SMG Drivelogic" link under "Technology and Innovations".
Old 07-30-2004, 07:20 AM
Members

Mr Belk has it and has reported a great noticeble improvement.

I need to find the time to get mine done. I like to do it myself for I have no trust in any mechanics.

I beleive there is no point in getting a short shifter without having a modded CDV.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 30 2004, 09:12 AM
A few questions regarding SMG: (I did drive it, but with limited exposure).

4. During traffic, or short successive stops, can one briefly shift to N and back to gear. This is to prevent compression braking in the low gears and jerking the car.

A few questions regarding Steptronic:

1. If down shifting in manual mode 1 or 2 gears, is there a lot of unpleasant lag or jerkiness?

2. Is the 6th gear really tall? Thus requiring the transmission to hunt between 5th and 6th often.

A question regarding Stick:

Anybody installed a short-throw shift kit?
1. If you rev the engine while on "N", and then suddenly shift to 1, will the car drop the clutch violently? or will it lag a bit to match the rev and smooth out the take off?

If you do this your head will snap back and you will practically leave the ground. I know - I do it sometimes.

2. Is it best to shift with foot on or off the gas pedal?

[color=blue]Depends on your taste--shifting in lower RPMS is not a smooth (1-2nd) if you don't let up on the gas a tad. Otherwise, in higher rev ranges just keep that gas down and it is pretty smooth if you shift in the power band. If you jam it to the floor the shifts will kick you back pretty hard.

Not sure, maybe because you are more apt to dirve aggressively? :blink:

4. During traffic, or short successive stops, can one briefly shift to N and back to gear. This is to prevent compression braking in the low gears and jerking the car
Yes, but the SMG automatically downshifts for you (654321) when coming to a stop if you allow it. Of course you can downshift to 1st yourself - you don't need it in neutral - stand in 1st as long as you're not on a hill - you'll roll backwards because it is a manual tranny.

Quick Reply: What type of transmission do you have?