E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: What type of transmission do you have in your E60?
SMG
14.72%
Steptronic (automatic)
61.35%
Manual
23.93%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

What type of transmission do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by joe540' date='Jul 30 2004, 01:46 PM
Yes, but the SMG automatically downshifts for you (654321) when coming to a stop if you allow it.
This is correct but could be misleading. What I think he means by the "if you allow it" part is that it only downshifts for you if you are going too slow for the current gear (like when a old-fashioned manual would begin to 'shudder').

As Joe said, you'll want to downshift it yourself way before the car is forced to!

("old-fashioned" -- you gotta love it!)
Old 08-03-2004, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I received a call from Beewang this weekend while playing golf. This is one of the few sports that lets you do a lot of thinking...

Basically, Beewang enthusiasticly recommeded that I give SMG one final thought, before it's too late to change. As I have already place my 545i order with steptronic. With all the positive comments regarding SMG, I called my SA and requested for a final test drive this weekend. Although I've driven SMG before, I was preocupied with juggling a bad written direction in an unfamiliar neighborhood. I plan to focus more on driving experience this time around.

On a side note, Beewang keeps referring SMG as SSG, even going out of his way to correct himself after saying "SMG" So, I did a little search and found out why:

Brief Introduction of SMG (sequential manual gearbox)

1. There was a SMG I and now a SMG II system. SMG I was introduced in European spec E36 M3 in 1998 or so. The US market never see this before.

2. The SMG II system was introduced in E46 M3 in 2001.

3. SMG II system is equipped with a +/- paddle-shift interface. Tap + and you up shift. Tap - and you downshift. Each paddle has one function only.

Brief Introduction of SSG (sport sequential gearbox)

1. The SSG system was built by Magneti Marrelli and introduced in 2001 in non-M E46s all around the world EXCEPT the US market.

2. SSG system is equipped a up and down-shift paddle-shift interface for EACH paddle. You can up and down shift with EACH paddle.

3. This SSG system was renamed to SMG in 2003 and introduced as a 2004 option for the US market. This SMG has nothing to do with SMG I or SMG II.

Again, Beewangs knowledge on BMW's keeps me in the right track.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the history lesson. I was always wondering why beewang was using the SSG 'nomenclature' (here we go again... )

I've been thinking about the different paddle arrangements. It seems to me that the right-upshift, left-downshift is used in the M-cars as well as the F1 race cars.

I always thought the push-pull setup made more sense since it eliminates any possible driver confusion. I find myself being a bit ambidextrous using the paddles depending on what my other hand is doing. For example, I was using the iDrive knob to dial the telephone the other day and used my left hand to shift. That wouldn't have been possible on the M-cars. Also, if the wheel is turned, aside from using the shifter on the console, you can use any paddle without having to think about which one it is.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:22 AM
JDN
Contributors

That certainly makes sense. I like the current set up and would not swap for the +/- M3 system after that dissertation. Thanks again, Rudy.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Contributors

I was really between the manual and the smg. As I was reading other posts/forums, etc. I got the message that it took some time to get used to. I test drove the SMG, and manual, and actually prefered the SMG. If I treated it like a manual, I had no problems, and of course as Rudy may have stated "it's about the downshifts". Feel like if I had the manual, I would have to delete the CDV, and add a shortshifter. Also, I am not very good at heel and toe. Looking forward to November delivery.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Robert gets it!!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Not to bring up an old subject, but only to bring a closure to this thread. I did order and took delivery on SMG instead of Steptronic because of the responses in this thread.

Although I only spent 650 short miles on all sort of weather and speed (including city traffic), I think SMG will be here to stay. I wouldn't say that this is the best transmission out there, but coming from a stick-shift car, I really got used to it quick.

One problem that I encountered, and it may never happen to you, is that it has refused to shift into Reverse. I had to restart the car and everything is ok again. But that's all.

The SMG does require a little timing adjustment to get it smoother from 1st to 2nd. Every other gear are perfect. I wonder if Audi's DSG is better?

One final word. My brother who drove exclusively automatic, but knows how to drive stick, also loved the transmission. But I really doubt my wife will be able to like it, since she doesn't even know why there is a need for transmission to begin with. So I guess she will want her own automatic BMW later, because sharing is out of question with SMG.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

speedracer, I'll be interested in your thoughts after a few thousand miles. I think after 650 miles you start to "get the feel" but I still think more time will change you're opinion even more.

You need to drive the car probably 1000 miles after break-in so you can develop the timing throughout the rev range, etc.

Keep us posted and enjoy!!
Old 11-15-2004, 02:52 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Nov 15 2004, 02:36 PM
But I really doubt my wife will be able to like it, since she doesn't even know why there is a need for transmission to begin with.? So I guess she will want her own automatic BMW later, because sharing is out of question with SMG.
[snapback]56503[/snapback]
I opted for SMG primarily because of a spectacular stop sans clutch that my wife made at a rest stop with our 540-6. At this point, she has yet to drive it although I have offered several times.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

Steptronic for the wife. She drives it the most.
I got a 6 speed manual for my '04 Corvette Z06. It's fun for me!

Quick Reply: What type of transmission do you have?