E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What size battery (amps) does a 550 have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by Veight' post='349438' date='Oct 27 2006, 06:19 PM
I actually try to minimize the use of my brakes in order to keep the dust down on the wheels. I have had an accumulation of bicycles and old ladies build up in the aero bumper. So your brochure shows battery sizes but not disk brake sizes? Who writes these things anyway. Why don't the get all the brochure writers in a room and get some consistency going.
Even better. Let's have them as slalom cones in a race to minimize brake usage and maximize battery charge by the end of the course. So they are happy too.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='349420' date='Oct 27 2006, 05:38 PM
I think it depends on option load such as if you have front and rear seat heaters which are a huge draw.
Hmmm...it would be bad design if the alternator didn't have enough capacity to drive the heated seats AND charge the battery...

ABC
Old 10-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='349423' date='Oct 27 2006, 11:45 AM
You are welcome.

FWIW - I have front heated seats (on a 535d, which is officially also rated at 90Ah), and it HAS a 90 Ah battery - it's easier to get to the battery on the Touring!

I think the 110 Ah capacity may also be country/region climate related, as a poster from Denmark (who bought his car in Sweden) had one fitted. Maybe it's part of the "Cold Weather" pack? Which may be offered as standard in some regions?

Well today, (Saturday), I opened the trunk and turned the 2 black plastic parts that hold the batter cover in place. Pulling it out towards the back of the car, it came off relatively easy. I have a 110 Ah battery in my 550. The battery is huge. Its twice the length of a typical car battery. There is a clear battery "eye" to indicate the battery's health and mine needs a charge. I am going to see if it takes a charge now at 10 amps instead of a trickle charge at 2 amps. If the indicator "eye" doesn't go to green , I will take the car in on monday per my appt and have them check it out.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='349727' date='Oct 28 2006, 09:28 PM
I have a 110 Ah battery in my 550. The battery is huge. Its twice the length of a typical car battery.
They've got to get the 50-50 weight distribution somehow...

ABC
Old 10-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

Our E60 530dA have a 110 Ah battery to! And it's huge!

Old 10-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='349741' date='Oct 28 2006, 11:01 PM
Our E60 530dA have a 110 Ah battery to! And it's huge!

550 and 530d both heavy engines. I wonder if my (stupid) 50-50 weight distribution theory now has some credibility?

ABC
Old 10-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Members

My Ride: A 520 D, Steptronic, june 2006, Black Sapphire, Black Excusive leather, Bi-Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Sound System, Navi-Pro, High Gloss Shadow Line, Sun Protection Glass, M-Sport steering wheel, Auto-Dim int + Folding Ext mirrors, Rear side airbags, Anthracite Headlining, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced

My 520dA has a 90 Ah, checked this yesterday. According the specs in a brochure, this should be a 80 Ah. Power-demanding options you choose, like heated rear seats and winter-packs, can change the battery value.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kazimierz' post='349851' date='Oct 29 2006, 09:27 AM
My 520dA has a 90 Ah, checked this yesterday. According the specs in a brochure, this should be a 80 Ah. Power-demanding options you choose, like heated rear seats and winter-packs, can change the battery value.
Surely any competent design of the electrical system would specify the alternator to provide enough power to these devices.

They are never run on battery alone.

ABC
Old 10-29-2006, 01:59 AM
Members

The "Magic Eye" on the battery you are looking at rightly shows the condition of the battery. However what a lot of owners do in error is look at it and think it needs a charge-

Green=okay battery is fully charged
Black= battery requires charging
Yellow=Battery faulty or internal short circuit

You need to shine a torch/flashlight down the eye and take a look. Lots of owners look at the eye and panic because its black and think it needs a charge, when all it is, is that the boot area is dark and see it as being black. Only once you shine some light down it and its still black does it need a charge. Plus on the E60's the electric system is very smart. On the negative pole of the battery is a sensor that monitors battery condition, state of charge. Battery acid temperature etc. This in turn tells the engine control unit, which then tells the alternator how hard to work. So just enough power is created by the alternator to keep the battery in tip top condition. As too much current or too little current shortens the life of the battery and wastes energy in the economical world we live in.

I wouldnt charge my battery for the sake of it. As with the type of battery chargers that are availabe for us to buy in the stores dont react quick enough and wont stop charging once the battery is full. Which then in turn overcharges the battery and worse still may produce voltage spikes damaging something in the car. Thats why in the owners manual it states when jump starting, turn the lights on, cause when you disconnect the jump leads the lights will absorb the voltage fluctuations and spikes.

If you battery is weak, it will tell you on the check control besides "battery recharge required". So no need to charge your battery for no reason. BMW dealers have $1500 dollar battery chargers for a reason, they constantly change charge currents every second in respect to how the battery is reacting, where as the battery chargers you and I would buy would take about 5 minutes upto a hour before they realise they are overcharging the battery!
Old 10-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by the_oracle' post='349855' date='Oct 29 2006, 05:59 AM
The "Magic Eye" on the battery you are looking at rightly shows the condition of the battery. However what a lot of owners do in error is look at it and think it needs a charge-

Green=okay battery is fully charged
Black= battery requires charging
Yellow=Battery faulty or internal short circuit

You need to shine a torch/flashlight down the eye and take a look. Lots of owners look at the eye and panic because its black and think it needs a charge, when all it is, is that the boot area is dark and see it as being black. Only once you shine some light down it and its still black does it need a charge. Plus on the E60's the electric system is very smart. On the negative pole of the battery is a sensor that monitors battery condition, state of charge. Battery acid temperature etc. This in turn tells the engine control unit, which then tells the alternator how hard to work. So just enough power is created by the alternator to keep the battery in tip top condition. As too much current or too little current shortens the life of the battery and wastes energy in the economical world we live in.

I wouldnt charge my battery for the sake of it. As with the type of battery chargers that are availabe for us to buy in the stores dont react quick enough and wont stop charging once the battery is full. Which then in turn overcharges the battery and worse still may produce voltage spikes damaging something in the car. Thats why in the owners manual it states when jump starting, turn the lights on, cause when you disconnect the jump leads the lights will absorb the voltage fluctuations and spikes.

If you battery is weak, it will tell you on the check control besides "battery recharge required". So no need to charge your battery for no reason. BMW dealers have $1500 dollar battery chargers for a reason, they constantly change charge currents every second in respect to how the battery is reacting, where as the battery chargers you and I would buy would take about 5 minutes upto a hour before they realise they are overcharging the battery!
Great Info...thanks.

Because I don't drive my car often, I think my battery is discharging over time. I tried trickle charging the battery at 2 amps for 2 days straight but it wasn't getting a charge. I charged it at 10 amps on Saturday for 6 hours and sure enough the majic eye is now green. However I took the car in this morning because I wanted them to make sure the battery is truly ok.. The green eye only monitors one or two cells. Part of the battery may be fried. I still don't understand why the battery wouldn't take a trickle charge.

I was told that if i don't drive often to keep the BMW "intelligent charger" on the car at all times. This thing costs 66 bucks and its not supposed to cause any damage to the electrical system of the car.