E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What options do you think retain the most or least value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Xenon might! what if it breaks... the one in my other car did... also a BMW product...
Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='211369' date='Dec 14 2005, 08:34 PM
Xenon might! what if it breaks... the one in my other car did... also a BMW product...
I guess he meant that, relatively speaking, the costs are likely to be essentially nil.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by vnod' post='211428
I guess he meant that, relatively speaking, the costs are likely to be essentially nil.
[/quote]

Oh yes... of course.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Let's be real here...
When it comes time to get rid of your car, options that any dealer can figure out will help the resale. That would mean
Auto Trans
Cold Weather (location dependent - but VERY important)
Sport
Premium Sound
Nav

However, options that are invisible to normal dealers probably will add nada to the car's worth - and those include:
Active Steering
Sirius
Comfort Seats
Folding Rears
Active Cruise Control
Rear Seat Air bags
Rear Seat Heating

With regards to Shades and Comfort Access..... I have no clue.

So needless to say, I think that every dollar you spend over $65K on a new 550 you probably have no chance of getting back unless you lease your car or find someone that really knows what you are selling.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

In order of retaining value
Automatic
Premium Package
Sport Package
Navigation
Cold Weather Package
Rear Seat Fold down
Premium Sound
Comfort Access
Comfort Seats
Park Distance Control
Rear Seat Air Bags
Sirius Satellite Radio
HUD
[/quote]

Doug, a couple of thoughts: You don't include localle as a variable, and that certainly matters. (read: Black cars in Florida or Arizona); Cold weather package, same. But as I read some Hollywood-type's quote recently "Everybody in LA has a silver 540" so that may be the answer to your color question; it's a more universal color than the somewhat overworked black (esp on sport pkgs)

But up top, I think you have way-overrated Auto transmission. From my recent experience (borne out by my local dealer) 6 speeds are not only desireable, but RARE ("as hens' teeth"). Conversely, SMG is not viewed with great appeal in the used car market. (probabaly triggers visions of abuse by the previous owner, more than being troublesome). Also, on eBay, and in classifieds, many sellers emphasize "NO NAV;" (I know I appreciate that, as it is virtually useless to me.)

The prem and sport packages are certainly solid, but almost expected, and to some the sound system is crucial. The rest of the list, I would judge to be rather speculative, as they are not widely recognized in the market yet.

Finally, The BMW extended warranty is always high on sellers' lists, and is usually priced at or near what it goes for at purchase (~$2k)

Just some thoughts from a recent market experience.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 12-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

Hull, nice reply, thank you. And, thank you to everyone else who has replied. I have done some research on the value of options regarding the 525 and 530. I have used sources that include but are not limited to http://www.kbb.com as well as some others. Here are the options that retained the most value:
In order of most value
Automatic
Premium Package
Sport Package
Navigation
Cold Weather Package
Parking Sensors ( a surprise)
Premium Sound
All the rest made no difference.

The top options were in order:
Automatic
Premium Package
Sport Package
Navigation
Cold Weather (if you are in a Northern or Mid West State, in other words, a Cold Weather Area.)

I thought this was very informative. It has been a big help to me personally. Well, thanks to everyone. This is a great Forum!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BMWDoug' post='211689' date='Dec 15 2005, 04:11 PM
Hull, nice reply, thank you. And, thank you to everyone else who has replied. I have done some research on the value of options regarding the 525 and 530. I have used sources that include but are not limited to http://www.kbb.com as well as some others. Here are the options that retained the most value:
In order of most value
Automatic
Premium Package
Sport Package
Navigation
Cold Weather Package
Parking Sensors ( a surprise)
Premium Sound
All the rest made no difference.

The top options were in order:
Automatic
Premium Package
Sport Package
Navigation
Cold Weather (if you are in a Northern or Mid West State, in other words, a Cold Weather Area.)

I thought this was very informative. It has been a big help to me personally. Well, thanks to everyone. This is a great Forum!
By most value, I assume you are talking percentage of list, right? And, automatic was "free" on my 545i. So, it's retained percentage of cost (or list) is infinite.

Gloat: My picks for retained percentage in post #2 were: automatic, premium package, navagation, premium sound, and sport package. Darn, I missed one.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

Hull, correct, I am talking percentage of list. By the way, GREAT Job on your options.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMWDoug' post='211732' date='Dec 15 2005, 05:44 PM
Hull, correct, I am talking percentage of list. By the way, GREAT Job on your options.
Hull?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

[quote name='BMWDoug' date='Dec 15 2005, 04:11 PM' post='211689']
Hull, nice reply, thank you. And, thank you to everyone else who has replied. I have done some research on the value of options regarding the 525 and 530.

Ah, Doug, you left out crucial info/qualifier in your original query: "525 and 530." Of course, those models are far more automatic transmission oriented (read: non-entusiast). However, FYI, I remember reading a year or two ago, that, of the 540 series sold in the US, an astounding ~70% or so were MANUAL transmissions (I presume that did not include SMG, as I don't think it was yet available on the 540).

Anyway, thanks for engendering an interesting thread.

Ray Hull
NOT aka vnod...

Quick Reply: What options do you think retain the most or least value?