E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

what happens when you put your hand in as the window rolls up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

LOL this thread made me lol
Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

tried it when I got my X5 because i figured that my kids would explore. it is not painful at all on your arm. You can push the pressure strip to make it go back down on its own to.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DavidF
You dont have to let the window close on any object, just press the pressure sensitive strip at the top of the window frame and the window will reverse.
So it is in fact a pressure sensor located at the top of the window frame? I figured it would be an overcurrent sensor in the window motor...but I really have no idea how they actually do it. I would also recommend using a towel or the like to test this function. I also wonder if this system has a fail safe design...such that if it is not working, you get some kind of warning/message. I would bet that the window motor could indeed cut off a finger(s) before it stalled...especially for a child.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i 1997 318ti - Sold 1990 535i - Gone

Back when I was little my grandma closed the windows of her e34 while I had my hand sticking out. Lost a fingernail to that one. Glad to hear they have sensors now ahah.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Allen
So it is in fact a pressure sensor located at the top of the window frame? I figured it would be an overcurrent sensor in the window motor...but I really have no idea how they actually do it. I would also recommend using a towel or the like to test this function. I also wonder if this system has a fail safe design...such that if it is not working, you get some kind of warning/message. I would bet that the window motor could indeed cut off a finger(s) before it stalled...especially for a child.

The latter would be correct. The window travel is a 'learned' process (search +"window" +"anti-trap"). The motor control unit detects increased resistance (hall-effect sensors are used), and will reverse motor travel.

Read HERE about how the system works, the "Emergency" and "Panic" overrides, and other info related to your power windows
Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Actually, try it with your neck and report back! The neck has more muscle and therefore stronger than your arm or fist.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

I dred to think if my little girl would stick her head out and some how accidentally roll up the window, i would think it would snap the neck?? I just have the window locks on all the time.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BET530
I dred to think if my little girl would stick her head out and some how accidentally roll up the window, i would think it would snap the neck?? I just have the window locks on all the time.
God dont even say that, god forbid!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by DavidF
You dont have to let the window close on any object, just press the pressure sensitive strip at the top of the window frame and the window will reverse.
i find it hard to believe this exists.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by turboawd
i find it hard to believe this exists.
Well, it appears I may be wrong on the E60. Both my E38 and E46 have the pressure sensors all along the door window frames. So, I assumed the E60 was the same, my mistake.

I know the sunroof have operated on the "resistance" principle for some time, so no reason the windows cannot operate on the same principle.

Quick Reply: what happens when you put your hand in as the window rolls up?