E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What DVD type are you using for MP3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 02:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='360692' date='Nov 26 2006, 11:05 AM
OK. but these are the only two media types possible?!? I am looking for types I do not have handy and don't want to buy until I have an indication that it might work.
Any general media compatability issues, if there were any, would be logged against the DRIVE brand and model.

Unless we know which maunufacturer and model of DRIVES are used in which production run of which e60s we can't begin to start a meaningful exercise (or use data that has already been gathered for specific drive models).

Remember DVD drive models are brought out every few weeks and it is credible that BMW source different DVD drive models at least a couple of times a year.

ABC
Old 11-26-2006, 02:18 AM
Senior Members

You COULD try this

and put in brand names (blank out the OPTODISC line) speeds etc you wish to investigate...

You may not have thought of this but your DVD WRITER is playing a role in all of this too...

ABC
Old 11-26-2006, 02:32 AM
Senior Members

aybeesea, I understood your point very well and I am trying to use this information at his best. But I was talking about probabilities of finding a type of disc I could buy with the help of others. You're saying my action is futile but I am willing to give it a try.

I understand OPTODISCOR8 is something I should avoid and OPTODISCR008 something I should try. But I am also looking to find other media types...
Old 11-26-2006, 02:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='360695' date='Nov 26 2006, 01:18 PM
[...]
You may not have thought of this but your DVD WRITER is playing a role in all of this too...

ABC
Interesting. My writer is Plextor PX-716UF external, on USB. How can I find out if this is at fault? I just bought for my friend a Samsung writer also external, but we never tried it yet.

Can you develop this idea?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='360696' date='Nov 26 2006, 11:32 AM
But I was talking about probabilities of finding a type of disc I could buy with the help of others.
Try the link above.

ABC
Old 11-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

I did but it does not say which may be compatible best with BMW DVD slot.

Trying to capitalize on your knowledge, do you think I should try cleaning the lens in my slot with a brush disk? Or there is a possibility to damage anything?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='360697' date='Nov 26 2006, 11:34 AM
Interesting. My writer is Plextor PX-716UF external, on USB. How can I find out if this is at fault? I just bought for my friend a Samsung writer also external, but we never tried it yet.

Can you develop this idea?
Well you COULD try to write the SAME data onto the SAME brand of media with a DIFFERENT writer and play the data on the SAME drive you used before.

The conclusions would be pretty easy either way.

ABC
Old 11-26-2006, 03:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='360473' date='Nov 25 2006, 05:38 PM
I've discovered that my car is very sensitive to the type of DVDs I am burning and also to the brand.

Working
Samsung Pleomax 8x DVD-R - works most of the time

Not working
Samsung Pleomax 8x DVD+R - works at start, but after some time, it starts to throw some errors, then it cannot play the rest of the songs but neither those who were working at the beginning. At some point, one DVD remained inside and could not get it out until I stopped the car for a while.

What are you guys using?

PS If there's interest, I will centralize all answers.
It is not an issue with compatability but the status of the laser on your drive. (having been in the IT industry for years I have seen this issue arise with normal PC/Laptop dvd-rom drives hundreds of times). A new BMW CCC system SHOULD read pretty much 99.9% of the brands, owever, knocks in transit of the parts (especally if the CCC has been removed from one car and later fitted in another) can lead to issues with reading. As all different manufacturers use slightly different materials and colours on the back of the DVD's, the index of refraction (the angle at which the laser bounces back) isnt always exactly the same. Even if out by hundredth's of a millimeter it can lead to problems with reading the disc.

You are more likely to get issues with "written" discs as opposed to "pressed" discs (ie. "manufactured" discs) as writable discs have a thicker protection layer on the surface, hence the angle at which the laser will reflect back at can change more.

Chances are if you put the disc you're having problems with into someone elses CCC unit, it will work fine.
If its really bugging you take it back to BMW if still under warranty, dunno how they'll react though.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:09 AM
Senior Members

Well, I am also in the IT industry but my opinion beg to differ. I thought the same as you until I had the same problems with my own disk in a brand new CCC equiped E90 330i my friend has bought. So, it should be something different.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='360716' date='Nov 26 2006, 01:09 PM
Well, I am also in the IT industry but my opinion beg to differ. I thought the same as you until I had the same problems with my own disk in a brand new CCC equiped E90 330i my friend has bought. So, it should be something different.
good luck with a lense cleaner then....

Quick Reply: What DVD type are you using for MP3?