E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What do you like better... red or amber turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

I bought the Euro Spec LCI Tail Lights from Germany that have the yellow (amber) LED turn signals. I think they look better especially since my 2007 530xi (and all years of U.S. E60's before 2008 LCI !) originally came with yellow turn signals in the U.S., albeit plain non-LED pre-LCI version. Since I am not the least bit color blind and a very graphically visual person, to me yellow means "caution" and red means "stop".

In a sudden about face there must have been a recent change in U.S. DOT regulations because an awful lot of other new cars are now suddenly coming out with RED turn signals again as of 2008, including BMW, and I think the look is dated. :thumbsdown:

For 30-40 years or so cars sold in the U.S. were allowed to use the international style amber or yellow turn signals on their cars and now they have changed back. This is my opinion as to probably what has happened:

The U.S. is the most litigous country on earth (Even Shakespeare wrote in Mac Beth "Kill the lawyers"). Some lawyer must have successfully litigated a multi-zillion dollar lawsuit recently for a plaintiff who rear ended another car stopped for a turn in front of them and the owner was critically injured because they were "confused" when they saw yellow turn signals on that car in front of them and not a "red" signal instead cautioning them to slow down and stop or some other such nonsense argued as a defense... Then DOT and/or mfr changes the turn signal color back to red to avoid future claims or litigation.

Many unexplained product changes today can be attributed to some past litigation forcing the mfr. to make a running change. (Hey we can get remote opening of windows, sunroofs, and convertible tops, etc. in the U.S. but not REMOTE closing function because that is considered unsafe by DOT for U.S. models; yet BMW and other imports have "full" open and close remote control function in Europe, Asia, etc.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='678906' date='Sep 26 2008, 09:27 AM
I sprung for th EU tails because I thought they matched better. I'm not sure why they made the rear lights red in US, but amber is my choice.
+1 I have Euro LCI Tails as well. IMO Amber rear turn signals match the front turn signals as well for a more consistent look.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I MUCH prefer Amber, red sometimes just seems like another taillight or something. Amber stands out and gets my attention much more, so I also think it makes it more efficient!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='682347' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:19 PM
+1 I have Euro LCI Tails as well. IMO Amber rear turn signals match the front turn signals as well for a more consistent look.
Pics or BAN
Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red is my preference, but I only say this because I like the way it looks on my wagon (with the red LED taillights).

BTW, we do have a "sort of" remote closing feature. If you have anything open, press and hold your finger near the "key" slot in the driver's door, like you were locking your vehicle (with comfort access), only hold it until everything closes.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

i need me some red ones
Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

+1 panaguy

Amber it should be.

But nevertheless, politicians all around the world are more interested of their own asses than anything else.
And democratic, like the US socializing, baby sitting, the multi million dollars banks and their executive dumb heroes?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

---delete---
Old 10-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by VirtualRain' post='678995' date='Sep 26 2008, 05:22 PM
Good input... I think cost will be the deciding factor... red are $540, amber are $675. Not worth the extra in my opinion.
Off topic I know but

I'm working on a deal with Garry and Justin/Alex to provide the US Style at $470 and EU Style at $635. Both prices include shipping but are valid only if we can find atleast 10-15 buyers.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 530xi Space Grey / Dark Grey Sport pkg, Sun screens, Navi, 30% tint, HID Fogs, RDash license plate lights, LED Reverse lights, 6000k AE's, 20s Glossy black 128 wheels

Just did the change on my 2007 530i taillights to the European LCI/LED w/ Amber turnsignal taillights. I went with the Amber look for two reasons, one being that it matches with my side and front blinkers, also the yellow LED's on the headlights. Second reason, Rarely around my area youll see those LCI/LED lights with Amber flashing LED's. Its a totally different look rather than those usual red blinkers. Unless youre in Europe where you will see all BMWs with those lights! AMBER different look in N.A........

Quick Reply: What do you like better... red or amber turn signals?