E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What to do other than service light ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525D M-Sport

Just wanted to say something that caught my attention driving to work today about my question about "what to do other than service lights" it was raining today and the rubber on the wiper blades don't look like they are doing their job properly not been changed since brand new... so I guess "what to do other than service lights"... change wiper blade rubber !
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Depends on what you are changing, any electronic parts will need coding/programmimg.

As it stands this statement is untrue. We have to define "electronic" because the entire car is pretty much electronic. Most parts do not need programming and they're electronic. Coding and programming are two different things as well.

OP - As far as maintenance goes, if you're relying on lights to let you know what to do then you're not really being proactive. For example checking brake pads and replacing before the light illuminates or the sensor gets triggered will save you $. In addition some pads have a different wear life! To strengthen this point not all conventional oil lasts as long as the BMW LL oil. I don't want to start a debate about oil but take a top brand in the U.S. and compare them in the same class and they have different lives. I would learn a lot about the car itself from others here who own that specific car and what to look for. Good luck
Old 04-24-2012, 04:46 AM
Members

Maybe BMW could add a few more helpful maintenance reminders to the iDrive, like a reminder to wash your wheels when they get dirty

What to do other than service light ?-idrive-wheel-image.jpg

The only problem is this icon would pop up on a daily basis...
Old 04-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
OP - As far as maintenance goes, if you're relying on lights to let you know what to do then you're not really being proactive. For example checking brake pads and replacing before the light illuminates or the sensor gets triggered will save you $. In addition some pads have a different wear life! To strengthen this point not all conventional oil lasts as long as the BMW LL oil. I don't want to start a debate about oil but take a top brand in the U.S. and compare them in the same class and they have different lives. I would learn a lot about the car itself from others here who own that specific car and what to look for. Good luck
Yeah well pointed out regarding brake bads, my mechanic checks them everytime one of the lights come on and I take the car to him. But still I don't really think their is much more than the service lights and being proactive as you said. Answering my own question in a way
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Members

For anyone who might read this thread I am going next Saturday to the mechanic and it looks like this is the process for brake fluid change Click I really wonder if he will do it in this process go through the bleeding etc I shall be their keeping a close watch

In one part it says:

Now we're ready to bleed the brakes! The order (for a left hand drive car) is: back right, back left, front right, front left.
So for my right hand car it is: back left, back right, front left, front right ?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Cream Sauce
For anyone who might read this thread I am going next Saturday to the mechanic and it looks like this is the process for brake fluid change Click I really wonder if he will do it in this process go through the bleeding etc I shall be their keeping a close watch

In one part it says:

So for my right hand car it is: back left, back right, front left, front right ?
Correct. Start with the brake furthest from the master cylinder and work your way to the closest.