E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What to do other than service light ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525D M-Sport

Hello,

I own a 2006 525D M-Sport with 22000 miles.

Every time the service light for different things came on I took it to my own mechanic who changed the relevant parts and used original BMW parts.

Recently the brake fluid light also came on and I am going to take the car to my mechanic this weekend.

My Question is is there anything else that needs to be done to the car other than the service lights that come up ?

Thanks to everyone very much in advance.

Kind Regards,
Cream Sauce
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Cream Sauce
Hello,

I own a 2006 525D M-Sport with 22000 miles.

Every time the service light for different things came on I took it to my own mechanic who changed the relevant parts and used original BMW parts.

Recently the brake fluid light also came on and I am going to take the car to my mechanic this weekend.

My Question is is there anything else that needs to be done to the car other than the service lights that come up ?

Thanks to everyone very much in advance.

Kind Regards,
Cream Sauce
Depends on what you are changing, any electronic parts will need coding/programmimg.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

While there is a "service light" for the cabin air filters, I do not believe there is one for the engine air filter. This is one thing that I have changed after inspection.

If your thoughts were going to the transmission fluid, engine coolant, differential fluid; these are generally considered to be "lifetime" fills by BMW, which amounts to 100,000 miles, based on my experience on this board.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
While there is a "service light" for the cabin air filters, I do not believe there is one for the engine air filter. This is one thing that I have changed after inspection.

If your thoughts were going to the transmission fluid, engine coolant, differential fluid; these are generally considered to be "lifetime" fills by BMW, which amounts to 100,000 miles, based on my experience on this board.
Definitely worth checking the air filter when it is in there. I checked my engine air filters and cabin air filters at 7500 when I bought my car. The engine air filter was in need of replacement. The cabin air filters were pretty clean. I shop vac'ed some bugs out of them but other than that they looked much cleaner than I expected.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Depends on what you are changing, any electronic parts will need coding/programmimg.
Never changed any electronic parts, also never seen any service lights for them either.

While there is a "service light" for the cabin air filters, I do not believe there is one for the engine air filter. This is one thing that I have changed after inspection. If your thoughts were going to the transmission fluid, engine coolant, differential fluid; these are generally considered to be "lifetime" fills by BMW, which amounts to 100,000 miles, based on my experience on this board.
I am not 100% sure but I think there is one for the engine air filter I will confirm this later, but when I took it to my mechanic last time I remember him draining the oil fully and also changing that part.

Regarding the brake fluid I remember my mechanic last time said there was no point as the car was at 15000 miles or so, now it is at 22000 miles and I am going to change it, but so to confirm it looks like the service lights give you all the information you need.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 AM
New Members

Never changed any electronic parts, also never seen any service lights for them either.

I am not 100% sure but I think there is one for the engine air filter I will confirm this later, but when I took it to my mechanic last time I remember him draining the oil fully and also changing that part.

Regarding the brake fluid I remember my mechanic last time said there was no point as the car was at 15000 miles or so, now it is at 22000 miles and I am going to change it, but so to confirm it looks like the service lights give you all the information you need.

AFAIK brake fluid changes are time dependent ie every 2 years, rather than mileage dependent, as brake fluid slowly absorbs water over time and its boiling point drops.

Ian
Old 04-19-2012, 05:25 AM
Members

There are many additional maintenance tasks, other than what is shown in the iDrive, that can be completed by most DIYers. And even if you don't do these tasks yourself, you can have them done by a competant mechanic that you trust. A couple of examples are power steering fluid change, transmission fluid change and differential fluid change. I follow the "ultimate maintenance schedule" from Bav Auto pretty closely. You can find it at the following website:

http://blog.bavauto.com/9906/bavaria...nce-schedules/

Good luck with keeping your car running smoothly.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AUSaxon00
There are many additional maintenance tasks, other than what is shown in the iDrive, that can be completed by most DIYers. And even if you don't do these tasks yourself, you can have them done by a competant mechanic that you trust. A couple of examples are power steering fluid change, transmission fluid change and differential fluid change. I follow the "ultimate maintenance schedule" from Bav Auto pretty closely. You can find it at the following website:

http://blog.bavauto.com/9906/bavaria...nce-schedules/

Good luck with keeping your car running smoothly.
Many thanks for your comments and that link.

However as Silber said "If your thoughts were going to the transmission fluid, engine coolant, differential fluid; these are generally considered to be "lifetime" fills by BMW, which amounts to 100,000 miles, based on my experience on this board."

This is also exactly what I believed, the car is only at 22,000 miles for 6 years.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Members

Many thanks for your comments and that link.

However as Silber said "If your thoughts were going to the transmission fluid, engine coolant, differential fluid; these are generally considered to be "lifetime" fills by BMW, which amounts to 100,000 miles, based on my experience on this board."

This is also exactly what I believed, the car is only at 22,000 miles for 6 years.
Maintenance is certainly a personal choice, even where manufacturers or others give guidelines. Where one owner will change their transmission fluid every 50k miles, another will leave it in for 150k miles. Who's right? Who knows. Maintenance is all about risk mitigation. Personally, I would rather spend a few hundred dollars every 2 or 3 years changing oil than spend thousands on a new transmission after 5 or 6 years. If you only plan on keeping the car a short time, then you may decide there is little risk to justify the maintenance. In fact, one guy I know says that "preventive maintenance" is the act of fixing things that aren't broken.

With regards to BMW "lifetime" fluids, you can find many opinions here and elsewhere, so I won't belabor that point. By BMW standards, lifetime fluids would include transmission and differential oils, but not even BMW considers engine coolant or brake fluid to be "lifetime" (i.e. 100k miles).

While your car is obviously very low mileage (6 years and 22k miles), if you look at the maintenance schedule from BA, you will see that the tasks are given in terms of both mileage and time. For example, the transmission fluid interval is 50k miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. So, low mileage doesn't necessarily mean you don't have to perform those maintenance jobs.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Members

I think you are correct regarding engine air filter light, however obviosuly when I changed the oil my mechanic also replaced that part and I think thats pretty much standard for a oil change.

There is one for diseal partical filter but it still has a lot of miles reading on the idrive.

So cut long story short it looks like service lights give you everything you need.

Quick Reply: What to do other than service light ?