E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Change

Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i Jet Black, matte black grill, red Rpi ram air scoop, gloss black stock wheels, acs trunk lip spoiler, darkest CA legal tint on all windows, tinted tail.

Its been a little over a month since i bought my 550, and i need to get a oil change within the next 600 miles. Anybody in SoCal, know of any shops that can do it or can i just go to any other oil change place?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

No magic on an oil change. Just need to be sure the shop is using BMW approved oil (it's in your owners manual) and a proper filter.

I do my own, but if I was in your shoes I'd bring it to an independent shop that specializes in European cars or better yet BMWs. This way they will be familiar with what oil is needed, they will have the filters on hand and they will also have the tools/know how to reset the oil change for the CBS reminder.

The CBS reset can be done via BMW capable scantool or for the DIYer I found these instructions on how to perform CBS resets
Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Just had mine done yesterday. I found a BMW Tech that works at home too

$80 for a new filter, gasket and 8.5 q of BMW Synthetic... plus a thorough inspection and top off of everything else. Sure better than $150+ just for the oil change!!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Shelly BMW - Buena Park

$99 oil change (and car wash) at dealership. Not a bad deal.

http://www.shellybmw.com/service-specials.php
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

This may sound like a stupid question. And this is not sarcastic! What does CBS stand for?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
This may sound like a stupid question. And this is not sarcastic! What does CBS stand for?
CBS = Condition-Based Service. This is the date or miles that appear in iDrive for various service items. Condition-based refers to adjustments for the way you drive your car, i.e., mostly short trips shortens the service interval, or mostly longer trips lengthens the service interval. I believe this is described in the owner's manual. See here.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by leese8080
Shelly BMW - Buena Park
http://www.shellybmw...ce-specials.php
+1 My dealer frequently emails me service "specials" or posts them on their website or Facebook page. If I don't buy a new BMW after my BMW Service Warranty coverage expires I'll take advantage of those specials as my car's maintenance needs come up. That said, Oil services are pretty easy - don't even require a lift or ramps unless you have M-Tech front bumpers etc. And there are easy to follow iDrive service reset procedures posted on the forum. And you can find oil/filter packages on line or buy them at a 10-25% discount at many BMW dealers. If you're not able or willing to tackle the oil change find a BMW trained indy - they might be slightly less expensive than regular prices at a BMW shop.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Originally Posted by leese8080
Shelly BMW - Buena Park

http://www.shellybmw.com/service-specials.php
The dealership wash job. I call that a "free scratch and swirl"
Old 04-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Just had mine done yesterday. I found a BMW Tech that works at home too

$80 for a new filter, gasket and 8.5 q of BMW Synthetic... plus a thorough inspection and top off of everything else. Sure better than $150+ just for the oil change!!
That's a hell of a deal you got from that mechanic! It cost about $80 just for the parts. I'd still prefer to do it myself but if I was going to pay someone that is one killer price. The N54 motor in my car is a bit cheaper since it is 7 quarts of oil rather than 9 (8.5 but you can't buy a 1/2 quart)

Treat that guy well!!!!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by ssmokn
That's a hell of a deal you got from that mechanic! It cost about $80 just for the parts. I'd still prefer to do it myself but if I was going to pay someone that is one killer price. The N54 motor in my car is a bit cheaper since it is 7 quarts of oil rather than 9 (8.5 but you can't buy a 1/2 quart)

Treat that guy well!!!!
I agree its a hell of a deal. He's got all the equipment and diagnostic tools you need plus a professional lift as well. Recently had him do plugs and a brake flush too at just over cost of the material.

And leese8080, DO NOT LET THE DEALERSHIP WASH YOUR CAR!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change