E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What is the correct tire pressures?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Three???? Mmmmhh.. I think I should get a newspaper delivery job next to my current job to pay for the toys for my car..
Old 09-08-2004, 10:53 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Sep 8 2004, 12:39 PM
I think you should buy three different brands of tyre pressure gauge to check for accuracy. You'll have +/- 3psi skew in most typre pressure gauges.
Good deal. Then I could average three wrong readings! I use a dial gauge, relatively inexpensive, but it is consistent and easy to use. I have used digitals, but find that they are not very durable and harder to fit onto the valve stem for a solid reading without leak. I always get even wear using the recommended pressure ranges on the door jamb. Here is my el cheapo.
Attached Thumbnails What is the correct tire pressures?????-airguage.jpg  
Old 09-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Nice topic Any idea how much of a pressure drop is required to set off the FTM?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

The FTM measures tire rotation relative to the other tires and not the true air pressure in each tires. So I would think (in theory, at least) if all the tires slowly lost air at a similar rate, it would never set off the FTM. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this!
Old 09-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Thanks kscarrol - that's what I meant to ask. Normal pressure drop will not set it off.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:22 PM
JDN
Contributors

ksc, I've been thinking about that. How about checking out my logic for me?

I have been hesitant to air my tires as often as I used to because I don't want to take a ten minute drive to nowheresville. Not that it wouldn't be fun, but that Scotch blood seems to interfere.

But, logic says, that if I check the tire pressures and they are all either all right or a couple of pounds under or over - all still being in the same direction to the same relative degree - then FTM will never know that I have aired the tires. Rotation of all wheels should remain relative, and FTM is only looking for one that's different. If they were OK before and I air them all consistently, then I don't think I need to run FTM again to activate. Whatcha think?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

very interesting. in fact, i have the car for three months and haven't checked the tire pressure once ! i thought the ftm will set off if at least one of the tire pressure is diff than the others . so if i air a few pounds in all four of them, do i need to activate the ftm again? or will it have some kind of warning since it "senses" air going in ?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I think your logic is correct JDN, but like you, I've never had the patience to test it. And I think alohalc has given us the answer. As long you are adding the same 3-5 lbs to each of the four tires, there relative spin rates should be close enough to not set off the FTM without resetting it.

For alohalc, if the FTM has not been set off by now with your top off, I don't think you need to reset.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

And I think alohalc has given us the answer.
finally i have some contribution here and i'm so proud of myself :winkcool: .
For alohalc, if the FTM has not been set off by now with your top off, I don't think you need to reset.
i'll check my tire pressure when i get my car back from the shop. i'm quite sure i need to add at least couple pounds on each tire. will let you guys know if anything happens.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:10 PM
JDN
Contributors

Okay, I'm gonna be cleaning it up for Andy545 tomorrow. I'll check the tires and air if needed and forget 'em. Thanks.

Quick Reply: What is the correct tire pressures?????