E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What about replacing the 550 with an X6 5.0???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='761992' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:19 PM
I've learned that there is no BMW other than a long wheelbase 7 that can take a rear facing infant seat without cramping the space of any person sitting in front of that seat. I hope that is clear... You have to mount the baby seat in the middle otherwise one of the front seats is useless (if you're taller than 5'2" that is).
DRP
Try shopping for different car seats. I had a similar issue fitting our existing toddler seat into our older 911... no-way, no-how. Finally had the revelation to take the car to a baby store (sic) and start testing seats until I found one that fit and that worked well.

You are absolutely right... infant carriers are way long... I'll be shopping for one to tuck into our 535 in April. I know the old one would just squeeze into the back of our E39 528 without having to be centered, so perhaps... and to drag this post back on-topic... such things could fit into an X6.

They are way-cool! Incidentally, though I said in an earlier post the Jeep SRT8 was fun I do believe making the adjustment from Jeep to 5-series might be easier than 5-series to Jeep, unless life is strictly a drag race.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='761013' date='Jan 6 2009, 06:33 PM
My father has a 300 SRT8. Lot of car for the money. Ironically, I don't see myself as an SUV guy. That's the thing, the X6 doesn't drive like an SUV.....? It really created its own category - more so than the CLS did, which is really just an E class with a chopped roofline.

I'm curious though. Did you take the Jeep because of the all wheel drive? I can't imagine you prefer it to the 545 on the highway?

DRP
No, not the AWD, I just love the Jeep. On the highway it's awesome, solid, fast, quiet and it's got so many more hitech gizmos than the 545i......the I-Pod, the Jukebox, way better nav, rear heat seats, room, better seat, it's an auto opposed to the 6spd in the bimmer....all in all I love it....one of the best cars I have owner...seriously.....talk about bang for the buck. Quicker than a Cayenne TT and any X5 for boat-loads less. Now, I do love the 545i but if I had to drive to CA today I'd take the Jeep!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Ever consider the ML63.....nice!
Old 01-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I considered this for about 5 seconds. I then saw the 5.0 X6 Sport in my dealers showroom, threw up all over it and ordered an X5 4.8 instead. If you like how it looks, then go for it.

Personally, I think the car looks like the Pontiac Aztec. The lines of that car are something that will never grow on me. It's just too bad they don't have that engine in the X5. That would be perfect!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5, M5,!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:58 AM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

I would say get a 535xiT, based on what your needs are. Good engineering still observes the laws of physics. SUVs just don't handle like sedans, doesn't matter what you do.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='759964' date='Jan 5 2009, 11:35 PM
I may get death threats here... But seriously, I was thinking about what I would do if my lease were up right now. And for the following reasons, an X6 is really attractive:

Choice 1: a new M5 with M-DCT. The size of the 5 is perfect and can completely use/appreciate the M-ness of an M car. But I can't, in good conscious, justify the cost now, or whenever the new M5 is out;

Choice 2: Lease a 650i (only appeal to me is a sportier image than my 550). MSRP and any lease is significantly more than that on a comparably equipped 550 and, for me, that's too high a premium to pay just to portray a slightly sportier image;

Choice 3: Lease a new F10 twin turbo V8 5 series. No brainer. Barring irregularly low residuals and/or high money factors, the V8 5 will offer serious bang for the buck, brand new styling and the latest tech (huge consideration for me...can't wait to have hard drive so the phone doesn't load all my numbers every time you get in). Also, an all wheel drive V8 could be pretty cool despite the obvious handling advantages of rear drive. This is a likely choice for me. But what if the new 5 isn't launched until next year?

Choice 4: X6 5.0. It ain't pretty; and it's tiny for an SUV; and it's not 'green' at all. BUT here's the thing: It is the very best vehicle in its class (In my opinion). I have driven one loaded (even had the nappa leather so it felt like an M car). It is lightening fast. In terms of acceleration, it makes a Cayenne GTS feel merely adequate and a regular Cayenne S (and/or 4.8 X5) feel bulky and truck-ish. The handling is really truly amazing. Although you mustn't forget its an SUV, it doesn't feel like one until you''re within a hair of it's handling limits. By comparison, an X5 4.8 sport on 21s feels massive and the incredibly impressive Cayenne GTS feels bigger and heavier as well. We are a family of skiiers, I loved driving our old X5 (E53), and I really like the idea that the X6 hasn't sold well here. I like acquired tastes But there is one deal breaker. It took forever to sell the last BMW I bought and I have leased 3 BMWs since then without any regret or issue. Any new car will be a lease, and I'm not okay with the ultra premium money factors and terrible residuals that BMW has set for the X6. I understand that a company like Land Rover will set low residuals and high money factors for a range rover. But they can. Unlike the X6, people don't really cross shop a Range Rover. Land Rover probably thinks it would tarnish the vehicle's image if they offer incentives. Fine by me. But the X6 is NO Range Rover. Its not pretty or elegant. And it's not a status machine. Ironically, the only thing that has given it any status, or "street cred", is that you don't see them on the road - and its incredibly fast. So it's not a status magnet like a range or an S class. It's concept...an SUV coupe? is so unconventional that the X6 doesn't lend itself at all to being a car for older drivers (like a 6 series for example). So where does that leave us? Its really the enthusiasts' SUV? Not a very big pool of buyers right? Imagine if the only people who bought a Range Rover were hard core off roaders?

So basically, what other BMW can you get for less than $80,000, that will run sub 5 sec. 0-60, carry 4 comfortably and you won't see coming and going every time you get on the road?

Admiration by process of elimination...

Cayenne S and Turbo I've tried both of them the interior is just awful compared to say the new X5 or X6. The Cayenne S I've taken max 240Km/h then the limiter kicked in the Turbo I drove in Moscow not much place to race it. Porsche's are one of the most stolen SUV's in Moscow so its a brainer not to buy one in my city.

The E70 X5 3.0Si sport I've taken 230Km/h as far as I remember its feels good on the road. Not as quick as the Cayenne S or the Turbo as its not the 4.8i but I would chose the 4.8i over Cayenne any day or the X6 5.0...

Range Rover's the cars that dont leave the service center in Moscow, quality of these vehicles is just LOW... I've drove the Range Rover Autobiography 280Km/h from Moscow I dont remember when the speed limiter kicked of but I was not impressed by the interior, it looks kinda old style say like the Mercedes-Benz G Wagon, the doors close just as nasty...

The 650i coupe I like that one, I never drove it, did drive the Bentley GT in Moscow at night kicked it of around 230Km/h would go even more but I came out of an accident at that time and didnt wont to risk. Although I can tell you that I would rather get the BMW 650i over a Bentley GT, I think it will be faster and its a BMW...

Like most car manufacturers these day build cars using different parts from different car manufacturers, say when we crashed a Bentley GT in 2007 half the parts under the bonnet had a VW/Audi logos as far as I remember, that was disgusting to look at... same goes for Range Rover they use half the parts from other car manufacturers.

So all this ramble to setlle up for is go with a BMW, I would go with the 650i coupe.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='762081' date='Jan 7 2009, 05:57 PM
I considered this for about 5 seconds. I then saw the 5.0 X6 Sport in my dealers showroom, threw up all over it and ordered an X5 4.8 instead. If you like how it looks, then go for it.

Personally, I think the car looks like the Pontiac Aztec. The lines of that car are something that will never grow on me. It's just too bad they don't have that engine in the X5. That would be perfect!

I know, its no sophia loren. But some of the new BMWs become attractive based on their status in the lineup. The 6 series is really not a good looking car, but as BMW's only big coupe it attracts the over 50 crowd, and so it's become a status icon. You're not likely to see some "fast and furious" kid driving an X6, or a soccer mom (because the X5 is just more practical and less $$). So who is going to drive an X6. The 6 series/7 series/M5 drivers who want just a dash of SUV in their BMW. Thereby making it a status symbol. I'm sure this is what BMWNA was shooting for when they made the X6 as unattractive to lease as an Alpina B7 (SERIOUSLY). I live in CT which is full of wealthy people who don't like to show it. So, I have not seen 1 X6, 6 or 8 cylinder, with a CT plate on it (I'm sure they exist in South West CT which is more NY minded). If the lease numbers become more conventional, I'm in there... The X5 is a great car,but miles away from an X6 in feel and handling. There's a reason you can't get shit paddles on the X5, but can on an X6.

DRP
Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by TMQ' post='762918' date='Jan 8 2009, 02:58 PM
I would say get a 535xiT, based on what your needs are. Good engineering still observes the laws of physics. SUVs just don't handle like sedans, doesn't matter what you do.
Sport wagons for men is such a european concept (Layer Cake). I wouldn't turn down an M5 estate or an Audi RS6 estate. But I have a 550 sport now, so going to 535xiT just doesn't quite fit. I agree with you in principle though.

DRP
Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Greenberg' post='763587' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:32 AM
Cayenne S and Turbo I've tried both of them the interior is just awful compared to say the new X5 or X6. The Cayenne S I've taken max 240Km/h then the limiter kicked in the Turbo I drove in Moscow not much place to race it. Porsche's are one of the most stolen SUV's in Moscow so its a brainer not to buy one in my city.

The E70 X5 3.0Si sport I've taken 230Km/h as far as I remember its feels good on the road. Not as quick as the Cayenne S or the Turbo as its not the 4.8i but I would chose the 4.8i over Cayenne any day or the X6 5.0...

Range Rover's the cars that dont leave the service center in Moscow, quality of these vehicles is just LOW... I've drove the Range Rover Autobiography 280Km/h from Moscow I dont remember when the speed limiter kicked of but I was not impressed by the interior, it looks kinda old style say like the Mercedes-Benz G Wagon, the doors close just as nasty...

The 650i coupe I like that one, I never drove it, did drive the Bentley GT in Moscow at night kicked it of around 230Km/h would go even more but I came out of an accident at that time and didnt wont to risk. Although I can tell you that I would rather get the BMW 650i over a Bentley GT, I think it will be faster and its a BMW...

Like most car manufacturers these day build cars using different parts from different car manufacturers, say when we crashed a Bentley GT in 2007 half the parts under the bonnet had a VW/Audi logos as far as I remember, that was disgusting to look at... same goes for Range Rover they use half the parts from other car manufacturers.

So all this ramble to setlle up for is go with a BMW, I would go with the 650i coupe.
Greenberg,

You know what you get when you take 2/3 650i and 1/3 X5 4.8..........X6. My local dealer has sold only 3 X6s. They were all for export. Two of them to Russia.

I hated it at first and now its drawing me in like the precious from the lord of the rings? 4.8 0-60, handling to match and all the benefits of an SUV. So what if its a little small and ugly? So is the Mona Lisa.

Quick Reply: What about replacing the 550 with an X6 5.0???