E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What about replacing the 550 with an X6 5.0???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I may get death threats here... But seriously, I was thinking about what I would do if my lease were up right now. And for the following reasons, an X6 is really attractive:

Choice 1: a new M5 with M-DCT. The size of the 5 is perfect and can completely use/appreciate the M-ness of an M car. But I can't, in good conscious, justify the cost now, or whenever the new M5 is out;

Choice 2: Lease a 650i (only appeal to me is a sportier image than my 550). MSRP and any lease is significantly more than that on a comparably equipped 550 and, for me, that's too high a premium to pay just to portray a slightly sportier image;

Choice 3: Lease a new F10 twin turbo V8 5 series. No brainer. Barring irregularly low residuals and/or high money factors, the V8 5 will offer serious bang for the buck, brand new styling and the latest tech (huge consideration for me...can't wait to have hard drive so the phone doesn't load all my numbers every time you get in). Also, an all wheel drive V8 could be pretty cool despite the obvious handling advantages of rear drive. This is a likely choice for me. But what if the new 5 isn't launched until next year?

Choice 4: X6 5.0. It ain't pretty; and it's tiny for an SUV; and it's not 'green' at all. BUT here's the thing: It is the very best vehicle in its class (In my opinion). I have driven one loaded (even had the nappa leather so it felt like an M car). It is lightening fast. In terms of acceleration, it makes a Cayenne GTS feel merely adequate and a regular Cayenne S (and/or 4.8 X5) feel bulky and truck-ish. The handling is really truly amazing. Although you mustn't forget its an SUV, it doesn't feel like one until you''re within a hair of it's handling limits. By comparison, an X5 4.8 sport on 21s feels massive and the incredibly impressive Cayenne GTS feels bigger and heavier as well. We are a family of skiiers, I loved driving our old X5 (E53), and I really like the idea that the X6 hasn't sold well here. I like acquired tastes But there is one deal breaker. It took forever to sell the last BMW I bought and I have leased 3 BMWs since then without any regret or issue. Any new car will be a lease, and I'm not okay with the ultra premium money factors and terrible residuals that BMW has set for the X6. I understand that a company like Land Rover will set low residuals and high money factors for a range rover. But they can. Unlike the X6, people don't really cross shop a Range Rover. Land Rover probably thinks it would tarnish the vehicle's image if they offer incentives. Fine by me. But the X6 is NO Range Rover. Its not pretty or elegant. And it's not a status machine. Ironically, the only thing that has given it any status, or "street cred", is that you don't see them on the road - and its incredibly fast. So it's not a status magnet like a range or an S class. It's concept...an SUV coupe? is so unconventional that the X6 doesn't lend itself at all to being a car for older drivers (like a 6 series for example). So where does that leave us? Its really the enthusiasts' SUV? Not a very big pool of buyers right? Imagine if the only people who bought a Range Rover were hard core off roaders?

So basically, what other BMW can you get for less than $80,000, that will run sub 5 sec. 0-60, carry 4 comfortably and you won't see coming and going every time you get on the road?

Admiration by process of elimination...
Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='759964' date='Jan 5 2009, 03:35 PM
I may get death threats here... But seriously, I was thinking about what I would do if my lease were up right now. And for the following reasons, an X6 is really attractive:

Choice 1: a new M5 with M-DCT. The size of the 5 is perfect and can completely use/appreciate the M-ness of an M car. But I can't, in good conscious, justify the cost now, or whenever the new M5 is out;

Choice 2: Lease a 650i (only appeal to me is a sportier image than my 550). MSRP and any lease is significantly more than that on a comparably equipped 550 and, for me, that's too high a premium to pay just to portray a slightly sportier image;

Choice 3: Lease a new F10 twin turbo V8 5 series. No brainer. Barring irregularly low residuals and/or high money factors, the V8 5 will offer serious bang for the buck, brand new styling and the latest tech (huge consideration for me...can't wait to have hard drive so the phone doesn't load all my numbers every time you get in). Also, an all wheel drive V8 could be pretty cool despite the obvious handling advantages of rear drive. This is a likely choice for me. But what if the new 5 isn't launched until next year?

Choice 4: X6 5.0. It ain't pretty; and it's tiny for an SUV; and it's not 'green' at all. BUT here's the thing: It is the very best vehicle in its class (In my opinion). I have driven one loaded (even had the nappa leather so it felt like an M car). It is lightening fast. In terms of acceleration, it makes a Cayenne GTS feel merely adequate and a regular Cayenne S (and/or 4.8 X5) feel bulky and truck-ish. The handling is really truly amazing. Although you mustn't forget its an SUV, it doesn't feel like one until you''re within a hair of it's handling limits. By comparison, an X5 4.8 sport on 21s feels massive and the incredibly impressive Cayenne GTS feels bigger and heavier as well. We are a family of skiiers, I loved driving our old X5 (E53), and I really like the idea that the X6 hasn't sold well here. I like acquired tastes But there is one deal breaker. It took forever to sell the last BMW I bought and I have leased 3 BMWs since then without any regret or issue. Any new car will be a lease, and I'm not okay with the ultra premium money factors and terrible residuals that BMW has set for the X6. I understand that a company like Land Rover will set low residuals and high money factors for a range rover. But they can. Unlike the X6, people don't really cross shop a Range Rover. Land Rover probably thinks it would tarnish the vehicle's image if they offer incentives. Fine by me. But the X6 is NO Range Rover. Its not pretty or elegant. And it's not a status machine. Ironically, the only thing that has given it any status, or "street cred", is that you don't see them on the road - and its incredibly fast. So it's not a status magnet like a range or an S class. It's concept...an SUV coupe? is so unconventional that the X6 doesn't lend itself at all to being a car for older drivers (like a 6 series for example). So where does that leave us? Its really the enthusiasts' SUV? Not a very big pool of buyers right? Imagine if the only people who bought a Range Rover were hard core off roaders?

So basically, what other BMW can you get for less than $80,000, that will run sub 5 sec. 0-60, carry 4 comfortably and you won't see coming and going every time you get on the road?

Admiration by process of elimination...
Don't take this the wrong way as the X6 is all the positives you listed, but isn't "admiration by process of elimination" a little akin to settling?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Contributors

I'm sort of with you on this one. I've seen several X6s driving around town and they certainly catch my eye ... they look cool.

We won't see the new 5 series here in the U.S. until October 2010 (21 months from now) - and it doesn't sound like you want to wait that long. Ditto for the next generation M5 with DCT - it probably won't come out until at least 12 months after the F10.

One other option to wait for is the new Progressive Activity Sedan. The PAS Concept will be unveiled within the next few weeks, so we are definitely closer to a production car (maybe by year-end 2009?). It is is reported to house all the goodies you seem to like (the engine and drivetrain from the X6), and it seems to be more like a 5-series wagon / cross-over than an SUV.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

Not quite as polished as a BMW (X5) however for a third of the money go buy an 08 Jeep SRT8 Grand Cherokee (new ~$50k, used high twenties), truly love mine. Fast as snot (sub 5 easy) AWD, interior is really nice, great features (bluetooth, HID lights, auto bright headlights, Brembos, 20" wheels, etc). Just took mine (over the 545i) to Montreal and loved it....what a pleasure to drive.

Just my two cents!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Choice 5: Buy an M for a steal from ebay and hope the dealer won't be a dick about it and honor the auction! http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/23/bmw-dea...nt-want-to-hon/
Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by sy1616' post='760081' date='Jan 5 2009, 05:35 PM
Not quite as polished as a BMW (X5) however for a third of the money go buy an 08 Jeep SRT8 Grand Cherokee (new ~$50k, used high twenties), truly love mine. Fast as snot (sub 5 easy) AWD, interior is really nice, great features (bluetooth, HID lights, auto bright headlights, Brembos, 20" wheels, etc). Just took mine (over the 545i) to Montreal and loved it....what a pleasure to drive.

Just my two cents!
My father has a 300 SRT8. Lot of car for the money. Ironically, I don't see myself as an SUV guy. That's the thing, the X6 doesn't drive like an SUV.....? It really created its own category - more so than the CLS did, which is really just an E class with a chopped roofline.

I'm curious though. Did you take the Jeep because of the all wheel drive? I can't imagine you prefer it to the 545 on the highway?

DRP
Old 01-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='760019' date='Jan 5 2009, 04:34 PM
I'm sort of with you on this one. I've seen several X6s driving around town and they certainly catch my eye ... they look cool.

We won't see the new 5 series here in the U.S. until October 2010 (21 months from now) - and it doesn't sound like you want to wait that long. Ditto for the next generation M5 with DCT - it probably won't come out until at least 12 months after the F10.

One other option to wait for is the new Progressive Activity Sedan. The PAS Concept will be unveiled within the next few weeks, so we are definitely closer to a production car (maybe by year-end 2009?). It is is reported to house all the goodies you seem to like (the engine and drivetrain from the X6), and it seems to be more like a 5-series wagon / cross-over than an SUV.

Never heard of this PAS concept? Interesting... It's ironic that I used to pick fun at people who didn't really know what they wanted in a car (like an octogenarian in Florida who takes delivery of an M5 and decides he hates the ride and transmission one month later). But now with so many choices, I really don't know what I want either....must be getting old

DRP
Old 01-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M package

I would go for option 4 man.

unless you want to wait 21 months? thats a lot ...
Old 01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by neoe60' post='760087' date='Jan 5 2009, 04:38 PM
Choice 5: Buy an M for a steal from ebay and hope the dealer won't be a dick about it and honor the auction! http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/23/bmw-dea...nt-want-to-hon/
and the funny part is they probably would be happy to get $60K for that car today...
Old 01-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I'm looking at trading my 550 and X5 for an X6 right now.........................I think they are great alternative for my needs..................I'll keep you posted!

Quick Reply: What about replacing the 550 with an X6 5.0???