E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What 5 Series Changes Would You Like?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 6 2005, 01:39 PM
[quote name='Mercy' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:53 PM']1. LSD
[snapback]167546[/snapback]
?????
[snapback]167562[/snapback]
[/quote]

LSD = Limited Slip Differential.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Members

My Ride: Current car: 2006 530ia On Order for December ED: 2009 335i coupe

Here is my list:

Redesigned tail lights and trunk? have the tail lights go straight across the back of the trunk on the top instead of pointing down.

Trunk finisher standard

In dash CD/DVD changer

Ability to play DVD movies on the I-Drive screen

DVD-Audio or Super Audio CD playback ability (i.e. High definition audio) like what is available on Acura and Lexus products

Return of the aluminum trim option for the US market

Fully integrated iPod control, along with a powered location to store it.

Air vents in the sun roof screen so that when in the vent position air can flow through without having to crack open the vent a couple of inches. (like current Mercedes product line)

Redesign the rear center arm rest ? get rid of that big black latch that holds it in the up position, and make it so the center head rest does not block the line of sight out of the rear view mirror. Add wood/metal trim (to match the rest of the car) on the back of the armrest which would be visible only when the arm rest is down.

Additional interior color choices for US market

Dark Grey (black) headliner for Auburn and Charcoal grey interiors.

New instrument cluster (looks dated)

Redesigned front center console - give it a more sculpted look like the E63 and E90, and add some additional storage space (maybe a nice place for an iPod to live?)
Old 09-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Sep 6 2005, 05:58 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Sep 6 2005, 01:39 PM'][quote name='Mercy' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:53 PM']1. LSD
?????
[/quote]

[snapback]167641[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks. How do you distinquish between LSD and traction control--which is on board? Are you saying a form of traction control that does not affect HP?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 6 2005, 05:02 PM
[quote name='ipse dixit' date='Sep 6 2005, 05:58 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Sep 6 2005, 01:39 PM'][quote name='Mercy' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:53 PM']1. LSD
?????
[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks. How do you distinquish between LSD and traction control--which is on board? Are you saying a form of traction control that does not affect HP?
[snapback]167673[/snapback]
[/quote]

Traction control and a LSD are very different mechanisms.

LSD

LSD is a performance feature.

On every car a basic differential is fitted to to distribute the engine's power to the driving wheels. The basic differential gear supplies the power to wheels which is/are loaded with least resistance. This allows the cars wheels to run at different speeds in a turn with least resistance.

However, when a car is cornering close to it's limit, the car will exhibit roll, a leaning to one side, causing the inside tires to lose forward traction and lateral grip. The wheels lift and cause excessive spin because of lack of downward force or weight distribution. This wheel spin is useless for acceleration until the tires regain traction and start to translate the power to the ground. A Limited Slip Differential setup does not allow the difference in speed to increase beyond a preset amount. By limiting the velocity difference between the pair of driven wheels, useful torque can be transmitted as long as there is some friction available on at least one of the wheels.

Essentially then, LSD reduces wheel spin while cornering at high speeds to maintain:

* Go-kart like handling.
* Optimum traction between tires and pavement.

DSC (or traction control)

DSC, on the other hand, is very different. In BMW's iteration, DSC (which combines ABS braking and AST) is essentially a safety feature. It prevents the car from losing control -- i.e., ensuring (forcing?) directional stability.

In other words, the DSC computer constantly calculates an ideal driving condition. If the vehicle oversteers or understeers, DSC then intervenes within a few milliseconds via the engine management system by influencing the engine torque and activating brakes on individual wheels where necessary.

While DSC utilizes the LSD technology, it is not the same. Because the BMW DSC integrates ASC+T, the traction control system on the E60 can automatically apply the brakes on a drive wheel about to spin. Since each drive wheel can be braked individually, this system has the same effect as a limited slip differential. The result is optimum traction comparable with the efficiency of a limited-slip differential. This limited slip-effect is generated only at speeds up to approx. 45 mph, however. At speeds of more than 60 mph, there is no further intervention in the brakes. Instead, control action is limited to a modification of the throttle butterfly position in accordance with the DME programming.

So, there you have it. Feel free to correct anything I've said.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

1) Touch Screen Nav
2) More interior color combinations
3) Night Vision (I know, coming soon!)
4) iDrive menu that can show you what CIP version is installed in the car.

5) "Wishful" feature: Cloaking device.
-Tony
Old 09-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Sep 6 2005, 07:55 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Sep 6 2005, 05:02 PM'][quote name='ipse dixit' date='Sep 6 2005, 05:58 PM'][quote name='donv' date='Sep 6 2005, 01:39 PM'][quote name='Mercy' date='Sep 6 2005, 02:53 PM']1. LSD
?????
[/quote]

[/quote]
[snapback]167673[/snapback]
[/quote]

Traction control and a LSD are very different mechanisms.

LSD

LSD is a performance feature.

On every car a basic differential is fitted to to distribute the engine's power to the driving wheels. The basic differential gear supplies the power to wheels which is/are loaded with least resistance. This allows the cars wheels to run at different speeds in a turn with least resistance.

However, when a car is cornering close to it's limit, the car will exhibit roll, a leaning to one side, causing the inside tires to lose forward traction and lateral grip. The wheels lift and cause excessive spin because of lack of downward force or weight distribution. This wheel spin is useless for acceleration until the tires regain traction and start to translate the power to the ground. A Limited Slip Differential setup does not allow the difference in speed to increase beyond a preset amount. By limiting the velocity difference between the pair of driven wheels, useful torque can be transmitted as long as there is some friction available on at least one of the wheels.

Essentially then, LSD reduces wheel spin while cornering at high speeds to maintain:

* Go-kart like handling.
* Optimum traction between tires and pavement.

DSC (or traction control)

DSC, on the other hand, is very different. In BMW's iteration, DSC (which combines ABS braking and AST) is essentially a safety feature. It prevents the car from losing control -- i.e., ensuring (forcing?) directional stability.

In other words, the DSC computer constantly calculates an ideal driving condition. If the vehicle oversteers or understeers, DSC then intervenes within a few milliseconds via the engine management system by influencing the engine torque and activating brakes on individual wheels where necessary.

While DSC utilizes the LSD technology, it is not the same. Because the BMW DSC integrates ASC+T, the traction control system on the E60 can automatically apply the brakes on a drive wheel about to spin. Since each drive wheel can be braked individually, this system has the same effect as a limited slip differential. The result is optimum traction comparable with the efficiency of a limited-slip differential. This limited slip-effect is generated only at speeds up to approx. 45 mph, however. At speeds of more than 60 mph, there is no further intervention in the brakes. Instead, control action is limited to a modification of the throttle butterfly position in accordance with the DME programming.

So, there you have it. Feel free to correct anything I've said.
[snapback]167685[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks for, as far as I know, for an excellent explanation. I just want to be able to turn traction control off when accelerating, but leave stability control on at the same time--as on my Z06. Here, I am using the terms as they apply on the Z06.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

A better stereo.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Sep 6 2005, 09:59 PM
A better stereo.
[snapback]167724[/snapback]
I thought of another--duals like on the 6-series. Only bad would be that after-market exhausts would be twice as expensive.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 7 2005, 01:43 PM
[quote name='subterFUSE' date='Sep 6 2005, 09:59 PM']A better stereo.
[snapback]167724[/snapback]
I thought of another--duals like on the 6-series. Only bad would be that after-market exhausts would be twice as expensive.
[snapback]168001[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah... dual exhaut for the 550.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

I would really like to have live radar downloaded onto the iDrive screen so I can tell where rain may be heading if I'm on my way to a sports game or other event.

Quick Reply: What 5 Series Changes Would You Like?