E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet Footwell

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the dreaded wet footwell syndrome, driver's side on a right hand drive. It coincides with this year's first heavy rain. Apart from obvious reasons like an open window during a downpour, does any one know if E60s are susecptible to drainage blockages around the windscreen surround etc...?

I had the same 10 years ago on a Citroen Xantia with a hairline crack on the screen surround. It took about a year to find it and stop the leak.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 08-25-2010, 02:45 AM
Members

I'm pretty sure it's rain water as opposed to a leaking heater matrix. Coolant level is on max, cannot taste anti-freeze on wet patch and it coincides with heavy rain. I can see a trail from above the accelerator pedal. Checked the micro filter and casing and all looks good. I cannot see anything obviously wrong without stripping back screen/wiper surround.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 AM
Members

I have posted the same wetness. I am US so RH passenger side for me. However I believe engine layout and electronics box is the same. FOr me and according to where your gas pedal is we have the same source of water.

If it is the same problem as me you will need to lower the inside panel right above the brake and gas pedal. Right above where the carpet stops you should see a rubber vent tube. I had water coming out of that. The vent tube is a fan vent tube into the electronics box which houses your DME and other modules. Remove the airfilters under the hood and the black filter holder that runs along the rear of the engine. Below you will see a black box with a white slide lock right near the firewall. Unlock and remove the top cover to expose your DME modules. Now look inside and see if you have water resting in the bottom.

For me the top cover seal was bad, probably put on wrong at the dealer when having service done. Water was coming down the windshield and getting in the box when the water level would rise enough it would run oou the vent tube into the footwell.

I used a silicone bead around the cover and reinstaled and have never had the problem return. Maybe you have the same issue as me?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KeithL
I'm pretty sure it's rain water as opposed to a leaking heater matrix. Coolant level is on max, cannot taste anti-freeze on wet patch and it coincides with heavy rain. I can see a trail from above the accelerator pedal. Checked the micro filter and casing and all looks good. I cannot see anything obviously wrong without stripping back screen/wiper surround.
I believe water in the front footwells is due to the sunroof seals being clogged with debris or leaves. I can't find the thread, but I remember reading about it at some point on this forum. I would check the sunroof and the area around it as a good place to start.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:29 AM
Members

No sun roof.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KeithL
No sun roof.
? In the US, I do not believe E60s were produced without sunroofs. I did not know it was different in Europe, I assumed it was the same.

How about the rubber seal around the windshield? Did you check to see if it is compromised? Look at the tops corners of the windshield especially.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Members

Another wet night and more water ingress. The most likely area is the bottom front door seal. It looks absolutely fine, exactly the same as the one on the other front door. Yet there is a definite water trail from the door tread into the footwell. The felt part of the seal is very wet, unlike the other door seal. There is water on the door tread, whereas the other door tread is dry. The door doesn't seem to have dropped on its hinges and lines up with the bodywork.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Members

The only way to make sure was to stay in the car during a heavy downpour. Rain was seeping in over the door seal. I took it to a body shop and they stripped off the door panel. They found evidence that the window had been replaced at some stage. The seal of the internal membrane was not very sticky where it had been pulled away. He tested the window seal with a watering can and could see water gushing past the window seal and falling onto the ineffective membrane. He stuck back the membrane, cleaned out the door drainage hole and has replaced the window seal. No more leaks.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Maybe this should go in the FAQs, if not already?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Members

In fact I've had similar on another car. A lock solenoid was replaced under warranty but the lazy mechanic failed to seal the membrane properly and I had another leak that went undiscovered for a long while. Door and boot membranes are part of the design. Door window seals and locks will let water pass. It is the job of the internal membrane to keep the water out of the car.