E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet carpets under passenger seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I have been getting water under the passenger seat when it rains. The headliners are all dry, so I don't think it's a clogged sunroof drain. Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Your e-box drain under the passenger side cabin filter housing probably has become clogged. The box then will overflow into the passenger compartment. Another but less likely cause is that the membrane in your door has come loose and its leaking from the door over your door sill.

Anyways: there are sensitive electronics under the carpeting, put your car indoors NOW, remove the carpeting and dry everything out. After that you can inspect the e-box drain.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Settle in and have a good read... but first make sure you remove your passenger seat and get that carpet and padding up in a hurry!!!!!!!!
My flooded BMW story

Also, if you havent started getting error messages you are lucky. But the longer the carpets stay wet the better chance you have of everything right down to the main wiring harness getting corrosion and crapping out eventually. If you have gotten error messages I would consider filing a claim with insurance. My damage hit almost $15k...
Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Members

Thanks for the replies, guys. Tragic story Jcal. I just washed the car puting a lot of water on the sunroof and had no water under the seat. I have dried out the mat and carpet. Next step will be to check the ebox. Any guidance on that? Only the back seat carpet got wet, front carpet staid dry. Could this still be the ebox?

Thanks again
Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by Cgrenier
Thanks for the replies, guys. Tragic story Jcal. I just washed the car puting a lot of water on the sunroof and had no water under the seat. I have dried out the mat and carpet. Next step will be to check the ebox. Any guidance on that? Only the back seat carpet got wet, front carpet staid dry. Could this still be the ebox?

Thanks again

Tragic at the time, but I did get an all new wiring harness, carpets, padding, sensors and modules in the process... I gotta look at the bright side.

Unlikely its the ebox if its only in the rear - strange. I would check door seals and the trunk drains as well... check your trunk in the spare tire well for water as well. Make real sure your front passenger carpet is dry - and dry out the rear carpets good. Mold and mildew will form and smell if you dont.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Members

The door seal looks fine and spare tire well is dry, as is the front seat. Intersting also that when I noticed the water the carpet on the vertical sides of the back seat footwell were also dry. I thought that it my be leaking up from the underbody. However, when I pulled off all the plastic underbody covers there were no signs of corrosion or any obvious paths for the water to follow. There is the heater outlet under the seat. Is there any chance that water would come out of just one duct?

Thanks again
Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Is it possible that one of your windows was open ... even a smidgen could cause enough water to get in and wet your carpets.