E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Well - The car is at the body shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

This is not gonna help much, but just out of curiosity, why would you take it to a shop that is notoriously for being expensive?

Why not go to a shop that does good work with reasonable pricing? Almost sounds like they're just wanking you and milking your dough.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately in Pittsburgh there are only a few shops that do work at reasonable prices which are also good. I have a guy that does cheap work, but his quality is also cheap...good for leases, but not my bmw...This guy didn't give me an expensive quote initially but now he changed his tune.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

I'm not a body guy but I spent quite a bit of time modifying my M5 front bumper to fit the way I wanted. The headlight washer attachment points had to be modified on the bumper to accept the springs of the old bumper. I had to test fit the bumper many times and shave .5 inch or so of impact foam to make it fit. I also trimmed a lot of flashing around the tow hook cover on the new bumper and cut away more impact foam from the car. This is just off the top of my head. For me this was just part of the process and I wasn't in a hurry. But to a body shop, time is money, they are in business to make money and these parts don't just "bolt right on" at least not in my case.

IF you want it to look right you should expect some modification costs.

Total cost should still be well under OEM Mtech because that kit has many many more parts which also increases install time.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I can understand every car is different, slightly, and sometimes modifications need to be made. However, this guy seems like he's pulling a "bait and switch" on you, he quoted you one price but as soon as you agree to let him do the work and he's started he's charging way more - ridiculous. I have the same bumper and sides as you do, took it to the shop Trinity uses, they installed it no problem. Fitment is dead on, it lines up perfectly. So I am not seeing how he needs to modify the bumper $750 worth - get it done somewhere else
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Wow for the money you have into it, you could have bought an OEM mtech kit that fits perfect! There really isn't much to these kits as long as there made well...Joe has sold many of these with no issues...I don't understand why he put filler on the corner of the bumper....That part just snaps back onto a clip to hold the corners...The place he bondo'd doesn't even show...
Old 07-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Senior Members

I've installed at least 20, prolly more of M-Tech kits on e60, the pieces you show in your pic DO NOT need modification. the only thing that needs mod is wheel well liner, and couple of foam cuts in the front bumper lining. The price for the install is crazy. I'd run away.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Are you floss in in the Benz that Lorenz has stolen?

Seriously good luck with you body shop issues.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Members

I guess I am going to try and talk him down to 1400 for the i nstall. The BMW manual says install should take 4.5 hours. He has 13.5 hours of labor. Now, some of that is paint and prep labor...but it seems like a huge departure from reality. I hate people that try to rip you off. SHould I have them test the headlight washers too before paint?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Members

Talked to the guy today and he is calling Joe from Trinity to talk to him about the install. He is sticking to his guns on the price to modify. I will keep you all posted. I am also going to take more pictures today and tomm as it goes through the process.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by bmw021
Talked to the guy today and he is calling Joe from Trinity to talk to him about the install. He is sticking to his guns on the price to modify. I will keep you all posted. I am also going to take more pictures today and tomm as it goes through the process.
Dude sounds like ripoff artist.

Quick Reply: Well - The car is at the body shop