E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the way E60 was meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:48 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 550i
Model Year: 2005

Hi All,
I have an LCI 2008 550. I'm using the sport button from ROSKINC (https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-5-series-LED-light-up-sport-mode-unlock-button-cable/302587910150?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649)

Doe anyone know out of wire 7 and 9, which one is power and ground?
Old 04-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 550i ZSP
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62
Default Mythbusted: 2010 550i 6MT - Hidden Sport is Bunk

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just installed this "mod" on my 2010 550i M Sport 6MT w/Active Steering, and I can say definitively that this mod does nothing, nada, zilch.

All the videos I've seen of people purporting to demonstrate how much better the throttle response is always - ALWAYS - just show themselves accelerating w/out the button pushed, followed by a run with the button pushed, and they gush and ooh and ahh about how much better the throttle response is. They are either 1) lying, or 2) completely falling for the placebo affect.

Here's how I know: The result I expected to when I pushed the button while cruising at a steady speed, around 30-40 mph, is the RPMs to jump up a bit, and when I disengage the button, the revs should have dropped back down to where they had been. That is the behavior you would get by the Sport Mode changing the throttle mapping. Alas, after multiple tries, there was ZERO change in RPMs or throttle responsiveness. I also tried the totally bogus acceleration tests, and found ZERO difference in the throttle response, both from dead stop and rolling starts.

For objective comparison purposes, I currently have a 2011 F10 535xi with Sport Auto, and a 2016 M4 with 6MT. Both have a "sport button" of sorts, and both throttle settings very clearly change when the sport mode is engaged. I also used to own a 2008 E60 550i with Sport Auto transmission and Active Steering, and it's throttle also very obviously remapped when in sport mode. So, for the record, on an LCI 550i with 6MT and IAS, there is no hidden sport mode.

MYTH BUSTED.

Second, everyone claims that the hidden sport mode tightens up the steering and suspension, particularly on cars with the ARS and Active Steering systems. Again, I found nothing changed, at all. Not even a little. Further, I can speak from direct comparative experience, having previously owned a 2008 550i M Sport and a 2010 M Sport, both with the Sport Auto Transmission, which DID have a Sport Button. You could definitely feel the chassis tighten up and the steering firm up on those two cars, BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY HAD THE SPORT MODE.

MYTH BUSTED.

I will take credit, though, for what I think is the cleanest install I've seen, wherein I repurposed the cigarette lighter in the dash with a red LED-lighted momentary switch. It's clean, looks like it belongs there, and is hidden when the ashtray is closed. But alas, all I have is a placebo button that lights up and looks cool.

So much for that $20.00 and a few hours worth of labor.

Last edited by BickUW89; 04-20-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:02 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

Very neat install on that button! It's a bummer it did not work for you, but your myth busting does not mean it will not work for everyone.

It could be my own extra transmission flash (not aplina, forget the name of it though, I call it the sport transmission) . It could be my 2008 535xi with the n54 nad not your 550 motor.. but for sure
1) the rpms change with the button
2) the shift points also change.
3) I no longer have 6th gear .. Which is also enabled when pushing the shifter to the right.
4) when on manual mode it will not shift up at redline anymore
5) my own steering got so stiff it was like losing power steering... So I coded it out.

I did not log or time raw speed or 1/4 mile time so whether it gets faster or not who knows. The behavior of the car changes which I like.

So.. It still may or may not work for others... A bummer it did not really work for you.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Very neat install on that button! It's a bummer it did not work for you, but your myth busting does not mean it will not work for everyone.
Well, maybe I should have been even more explicit, but I tried to focus my whole post specifically on the LCI 550i with 6MT and IAS aspects of my particular car.

I can buy the scenario that it might work on an automatic, where the shift points may, in fact, be alterable, but I spent a couple of months searching posts and videos, looking to see if anyone gave a reliable assessment of this mod on a 6MT, and I found all kinds of empirical oohing and ahhing, but nothing substantive. Particularly, the RPM blip one would expect when Sport is engaged. As I detailed, I have owned/do own several BMWs, both in Sport Auto and 6MT configurations, so I know what the behavior of these cars is.

I know with certainty that this mod does not work on my particular setup.

I take no pleasure in being right, though. I really wanted the throttle remapping. This 2010 E60 550i is new to me in the past few months, purchased as a replacement for my soon-off-lease M4. I'm a little disappointed in the sluggish throttle on such an otherwise awesome car, because I had another 2010 E60 550i with Sport Automatic Transmission last year (sold to move "up" to the 6MT), and I think it was actually more peppy than the 6MT. I was surprised this car *didn't* have a Sport Mode button after I bought it, and I feel like it is a missing piece.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:52 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i
Model Year: E60 2004
Engine: 545i / N62

Why did you installed on a 2010 E60? As far as I know the sport button it's for Pre-LCI cars only.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tivinps
Why did you installed on a 2010 E60? As far as I know the sport button it's for Pre-LCI cars only.
1) I'm not satisfied with what feels like sluggish throttle response in this 6MT vs the Sport Auto (with Sport button)
2) several posts by people with LCI E60s, some of them with 6MT, claimed it improved throttle response. I figured it was worth a try, even though I was skeptical.

Now I know.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 528i base
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54
Default Sport Button: What it really does.

Maybe this will help someone who is thinking about this mod.

The only thing this button mod will do is turn on the word “SPORT,” in the message center. (Read the comments, ’this does not seem to make any difference...’) It doesn’t.

The function controls Dynamic Drive. If your car came factory with Dynamic Drive, you should already have a sport button.

The vehicle may feel sportier, because you are being more aggressive with the throttle. BMW is smart that way. Drive aggressive, the car is sporty. Drive economically and the car will respond as such. Turning on a dash light does, just that.

If you want sportier drive, put the transmission into sport mode: this does change shift and throttle responses. Word of caution. Because this mode allows the torque converter to lock-up in all gears, it can cause premature wear if used excessively. Great for that long twisty road, not great for the commute to work.

I have been doing a lot of research on the ZF six-speed automatic transmissions. Just finished a rebuild of my mechatronics unit and fluid change. Did all the work myself. Have read a lot of information and researched problems, causes and solutions. Fantastic transmissions, if you treat them with respect. Abuse it and you are in for an expensive repair, or a charitable donation.

If you must have a sport button, buy a car with Dynamic Drive.

But hey, the message center notification may impress your friends. My friends, not so much.

Best of luck.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:13 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

@Greg Kissell- Your experience with your car does not equate to what others have experienced with their cars. If you take the time to read the proceeding 746 post you would read that. I have a 02/06 production E60 530i auto with the sport package that includes options, S26A, S229A and S216A. I did my research and reading. I did the modification and it does work in my car. How do I know? Because my wife hates what it does to the car when she is driving it. She hates the "twitchy throttle, longer shift points and the added stiffness to the steering function. Additionally, I enjoy the differences it makes to the driving experience of my BMW. And I've been a licensed driver for 38 years and a motor vehicle operator for 44. If somebody with the free time would sort through all these posts I'm sure a spreadsheet could be generate that would should what years and fitments this mod actually works on.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:16 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E70 xDrive35i LCI N55, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, 4zone climate, Heated seats F/R, HK Surround Sound
Model Year: 2012
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by JmacE60
@Greg Kissell- Your experience with your car does not equate to what others have experienced with their cars. If you take the time to read the proceeding 746 post you would read that. I have a 02/06 production E60 530i auto with the sport package that includes options, S26A, S229A and S216A. I did my research and reading. I did the modification and it does work in my car. How do I know? Because my wife hates what it does to the car when she is driving it. She hates the "twitchy throttle, longer shift points and the added stiffness to the steering function. Additionally, I enjoy the differences it makes to the driving experience of my BMW. And I've been a licensed driver for 38 years and a motor vehicle operator for 44. If somebody with the free time would sort through all these posts I'm sure a spreadsheet could be generate that would should what years and fitments this mod actually works on.
JmacE60, I think if you bothered to read my post clearly, you would see that I did mention that this mod requires Dynamic Drive. Which you have. Not sure what S26A is for, cannot find reference to that anywhere. But the other options are Servotronic Steering and Dynamic Drive. So yes, it does something to YOUR car.

Without these options, the button does nothing. Did your car not have a Sport button from factory? You should also note the countless responders on many forums who claim, 'This does nothing noticeable to my car.’ Because their car does not have those options.

Directly from the owners manual.

Dynamic Driving Control

With Dynamic Driving Control, you can
choose between a standard and a sport
program.

Sport program

> The engine responds more spontaneously
to accelerator pedal movements
> The steering becomes more direct and
provides even better road contact.

In addition, with SMG and an automatic transmission:

> The shifting times are shorter
> The engine speed range is used optimally
in the Drive mode.

YMMV

Last edited by Greggo; 01-19-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:16 PM
New Members

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 525i-M Sports 05'
Model Year: 2005

I have an 05 525i which I don't think has dynamic drive, at least it doesn't appear on vin decoder (WBANE52080CK66427) and neither did it come with the sport button. I did this mod and it did more than just have sport appear in the cluster. It behaves differently, even slightly different than when in DS, I also read that many haven't had any changes with theirs. So maybe it's a little more than just the dynamic drive? or difference across markets?

Quick Reply: the way E60 was meant to be