E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

the way E60 was meant to be

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 98' 528i Manual07' 550i Sport

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
my question is, is there an actual difference between DS and this sport button option? I know in DS the tranny holds gears longer in 1,2,and 3rd, people said this changes the tranny to shift faster?
I went out riding today for the first time and tested it. Yes, there is absolutely a difference between DS and Sport mode. In fact if you put them in Sport and DS, DS overrides the Sport control and you get 6th gear.

All i can say is when i hit that button the car drives and feels like i got out of one car and got in another on every level. Very impressed for a cheap mod. I damn near spun the car all the way around in sport mode with DSC on going around a corner with a mildly wet road.

Last edited by Only Bimmers; 11-15-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I just did this mod and the only difference is in the steering. Yes, it gets heavier. Nothing in shifting band changes. I took it up to 132mph and nothing. D/S mode changes my shifting band. Tried various things and the only thing that's noticeable is the shifting. Keep in mind I have a z4 that has the sport option. D/S does nothing on it but when i press that sport button it changes quite a bit so I know what it's supposed to do. So I'll keep the mod because it definitely changes the steering up (I have Active Steering and Dynamic Drive) and because I don't feel like taking everything apart again or buying a new shift cover plate. If this is "sport" mode I'll stick to sportbikes or my real sportscar.

Also, you do not have to take the center console trim piece out do do this. I only took the shift trim out and use a flathead screwdriver to go under the console bezel and pry it up while i snaked the wire through and slid to end of ashtray.

But I do have to add that no car drives like a well maintained BMW in my experiences...and I tend to drive fast and furious.
Attached Thumbnails the way E60 was meant to be-img_1532.jpg   the way E60 was meant to be-butt.jpg  

Last edited by AchtungE60; 11-15-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I just did this mod and the only difference is in the steering. Yes, it gets heavier. Nothing in shifting band changes. I took it up to 132mph and nothing. D/S mode changes my shifting band. Tried various things and the only thing that's noticeable is the shifting. Keep in mind I have a z4 that has the sport option. D/S does nothing on it but when i press that sport button it changes quite a bit so I know what it's supposed to do. So I'll keep the mod because it definitely changes the steering up (I have Active Steering and Dynamic Drive) and because I don't feel like taking everything apart again or buying a new shift cover plate. If this is "sport" mode I'll stick to sportbikes or my real sportscar.

Also, you do not have to take the center console trim piece out do do this. I only took the shift trim out and use a flathead screwdriver to go under the console bezel and pry it up while i snaked the wire through and slid to end of ashtray.

But I do have to add that no car drives like a well maintained BMW in my experiences...and I tend to drive fast and furious.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with your statements about the performance changes. The throttle response is most definitely improved, and gear changes are also much "crisper". I do believe that the changes to shift points are the same between D/S and SPORT button, but the shifts are quicker and firmer. This is on an 06 530i.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Members

Finally got it working last night and I there's definitely a change in how the transmission shifts and maybe the throttle, although I had a flat this morning and was running the donut, so couldn't drive it hard. I don't notice any difference in the steering though. I have a 05 530i, without active steering. Perhaps I don't have the servotronic steering either?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kushane
Finally got it working last night and I there's definitely a change in how the transmission shifts and maybe the throttle, although I had a flat this morning and was running the donut, so couldn't drive it hard. I don't notice any difference in the steering though. I have a 05 530i, without active steering. Perhaps I don't have the servotronic steering either?
Glad to hear you got it working and everything else also! My radar detector was dead this morning, found both power outlets up front(cig lighter and footwell) to be dead. Luckily it was only a blown fuse....funny coincidence that it happened after doing this mod.

We'll see if it was indeed a coincidence....
Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
Glad to hear you got it working and everything else also! My radar detector was dead this morning, found both power outlets up front(cig lighter and footwell) to be dead. Luckily it was only a blown fuse....funny coincidence that it happened after doing this mod.

We'll see if it was indeed a coincidence....
And it was indeed a connector I had left unplugged..the bottom left one. It'll be a great weekend to try out this functionality - getting 2 new Michelin Pilot Sport tires this evening and driving to the Formula 1 race in Austin tomorrow and Sunday.

Again thanks to dbond for discovering this, although this one surprised me in that that no one figured this out before with the E60 being out for what.. almost 9 yrs now. Awesome work dbond - you da man.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kushane
And it was indeed a connector I had left unplugged..the bottom left one. It'll be a great weekend to try out this functionality - getting 2 new Michelin Pilot Sport tires this evening and driving to the Formula 1 race in Austin tomorrow and Sunday.

Again thanks to dbond for discovering this, although this one surprised me in that that no one figured this out before with the E60 being out for what.. almost 9 yrs now. Awesome work dbond - you da man.
Awesome, that sounds like a fun weekend. Enjoy and report back on your findings after you've had time to run her out thoroughly. I'm really enjoying my "new" ride!

Last edited by Crckrjck; 11-16-2012 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I think I'm going to try this mod. Anybody have part numbers for the pre-LCI trim automatic and the sport button?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Members

I was just looking at them on realoem.com
RealOEM.com * BMW E60 530i Decor trims, centre console

Geez, are they kidding me?
12 Cover, gear selecting lever, 51167077663 $173.00+core
that's just for the trim piece
don't see the button, still looking
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Contributors