E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Water Pump Replacement/Compressor belt pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

Well I got a belt on - the old one. the new one would not stretch enough. I have spent 3 days fighting it, trying to make a tool to keep the belt in place, but with all the hydraulic hoses in the way, I just didn't have the leverage. My pulley doesn't look like the one in all the RA instructions and pictures I have seen - it doesn't have the flat area around the lip, and maybe the lip is smaller, and the belt just kept slipping off. hopefully this gets me by so I can get it to a mechanic. back to putting all the hoses back on now.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by LJTX545I
Well I got a belt on - the old one. the new one would not stretch enough. I have spent 3 days fighting it, trying to make a tool to keep the belt in place, but with all the hydraulic hoses in the way, I just didn't have the leverage. My pulley doesn't look like the one in all the RA instructions and pictures I have seen - it doesn't have the flat area around the lip, and maybe the lip is smaller, and the belt just kept slipping off. hopefully this gets me by so I can get it to a mechanic. back to putting all the hoses back on now.
Did you make the tool?

http://forums.5serie..._1#entry1207441
Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

You don't need that belt to get to the mechanic - just turn off the A\C ;-)

Regarding the hydraulic hoses - you need to take the mounting bracket out or at least take the houses out of the bracket (there is only one screw)
Old 09-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by healthservices
You must not have active steering, had a friend to help, or totally moved it out of the way. The tool is $145 thru my dealer but I had to order it. so I made my own for $5 (took two minutes to make) with the help of a hack saw. Then it took only a couple seconds to put the belt on.
I have active steering and dynamic drive. It made this project even more fun ;-)
Old 09-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

oh damn the cheezy plastic radiator drain plug snapped..back to parts tomorrow
Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Members

the serpentine belt, in contrast, was a breeze to put in. I guess they decided to do away with the tensioner to make room for all this hydraulic tubing...why does it have to be so long?
Old 09-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Members

OK, the good news is that I was able to extract the broken drain bolt. Good thing it broke, otherwise I would have never known that only one of two o-rings were on the plug. The bad news..the pump was never the source of the coolant leak. I found the leak, but now I'm at a loss on what to do next. It's coming from a hole on the block itself. At least I did good on the pump install.
Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Replacement/Compressor belt pulley?-leakfound.jpg  
Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Members

From all the diagrams, it would seem that I have a leak under the intake manifold, possibly from the O-Ring behind the water feed pipe. That would probably be a task beyond my comfort zone.

I'm back to where I started.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

need to replace the timing cover seal??
Old 09-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

From all the diagrams, it would seem that I have a leak under the intake manifold, possibly from the O-Ring behind the water feed pipe. That would probably be a task beyond my comfort zone.

I'm back to where I started.

Start learning to use you skills. Looks intimidating and I hope never to need to do it. Really hope this is not it but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCED1jyfL4

Quick Reply: Water Pump Replacement/Compressor belt pulley?