E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Water in footwell

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

The drivers floor is sopping wet. Looks like I must have a leak somewhere.

Any other epxerience of this or ideas for where it could be coming from ?

Looks like yet another visit to the garage
Old 11-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='354955' date='Nov 11 2006, 05:02 PM
The drivers floor is sopping wet. Looks like I must have a leak somewhere.

Any other epxerience of this or ideas for where it could be coming from ?

Looks like yet another visit to the garage
Does it happen when you wash the car only? This happened with my E39 on the right rear passenger side. The floor mats were kept in place by a velcro cap on the floor of the car. These caps were kept in place by little plastic notches that were fitting into holes, into the floor of the car. Every time I got my car washed, the floor and mats would be soaked. I learned it was from these holes that the water was coming through.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I experienced this on another car. Since then, I clean my car very carefully... also under the hood...

Under the hood, close to the windshield, on both sides, there are drains for the water that comes down from the windshield. If those are closed due to foliage that made its way down there and now is stuck in the drain, the water can't drain as fast as it needs to and some water will then make its way through the air filter into the cabin. Since the airfilter is on the right (passenegr side), your passenger footwell is soaked and not the drivers side.

I am pretty sure that's what happened to your car.

R U parking under trees often?
Old 11-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='355003' date='Nov 12 2006, 12:12 AM
I experienced this on another car. Since then, I clean my car very carefully... also under the hood...

Under the hood, close to the windshield, on both sides, there are drains for the water that comes down from the windshield. If those are closed due to foliage that made its way down there and now is stuck in the drain, the water can't drain as fast as it needs to and some water will then make its way through the air filter into the cabin. Since the airfilter is on the right (passenegr side), your passenger footwell is soaked and not the drivers side.

That sounds possible.

BUt another one could be excessive cleaning of the underneath of the car.In the Audi i pressure washed the underneath and the mats were wet.Maybe some leaking through some holes as cmansbimmer said.

But Iceman is THE expert so maybe its that
Old 11-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='355003' date='Nov 11 2006, 06:12 PM

you know what, iceman is right. i totally forgot, but this happened in my E39 too! yeah, i know, i had a doozer. it wasn't draining down through the drainage holes on the front and rear of the car, so it just started seaping through the front pillars of the car and down to the floor. got so bad, my pillars got warped. this happened when it rained a lot and water just sat on top of the roof of the car overnight.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='355003' date='Nov 11 2006, 06:12 PM

Thanks - this could be it. As a UK car, if the filter is still on the right hand side then that would be the driver's footwell. There were a couple of small leaves in there - not sure that would be enough but will keep checking.

Certainly not caused by excessive cleaning underneath (quite confident it has never been cleaned underneath !). Could be excessive Scottish rain and pudles coming underneath so when get near car in daylight (rare) will have a check
Old 11-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Could also be caused by a clogged air-conditioner condensation line.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545, non-sport,silver gray, premium, cold weather, I-pod adapter, Predator Ice, M tech, Logic 7, hardwired V1, Remus exhaust, soon to be: 18" Beyern multi wheels w/ Michelin Pilots

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='355003' date='Nov 11 2006, 05:12 PM

How do you clean these drains. GF has an E39 with water on rear passenger side floor mat. soaking wet after using auto car wash.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='355003' date='Nov 12 2006, 01:12 AM
Under the hood, close to the windshield, on both sides, there are drains for the water that comes down from the windshield. If those are closed due to foliage that made its way down there and now is stuck in the drain, the water can't drain as fast as it needs to and some water will then make its way through the air filter into the cabin.

I might only add that that the foliage ice as well and when the snow one the hood (and window) melts faster than the thin drains, the problem might occur.

If flooding has happened, also the air filter(s) should be changed!

Also the trunk lid drains should be checked.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

In the spirit of thorough research, did a 1,100 mile test last weekend - half of it in the most torrential gale driven rain that dear old blighty could conjure up. Result = footwell not gained any water from outside so not the washing / carpet pins reasons !

Quick Reply: Water in footwell