E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Washer pump leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

When I returned from my trip my son informed me of something leaking under my front bumper. I checked it and it appeared to be water so I unfortunately had to perform the smell and taste test... It turned out to be washer fluid. So yesterday I peeled backed the inner liner to see if I could determine what was actually leaking. As you see in the pics, there is a pump...? I am assuming this is what it is. There I could see a small drip of fluid coming from the bottom of the black rubber connector. I removed the rubber tubing and everything looked ok, no damage, rotting or tears. Next, I pulled the pump up and out and inspected this as well, nothing... Every time I reinstalled the rubber connector on the pump it would leak again. I noticed when I did not push the connector all the way on it did not leak. I eventually blew compressed air in the tubing and all around the pump connection and reinstalled the tube and just not quite seating it all the way. Everything seems to be ok no as I am not detecting any more leaks. I am thinking there is still something wrong and it will eventually begin to leak again. Has anyone seen this before? I am thinking about ordering this pump and replacing it, but I will wait and see if the leak returns.
Washer pump leaking-photoa.jpgWasher pump leaking-photo1.jpg
Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Had the same problem. Replaced pump to fix problem. If I went through the trouble you did, I would just install a new pump while I am looking in there.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After your diagnosis and evaluation, when is the leak occuring?? Is it on its own and does the leak happen after you have activated the windshield squirter stalk? If the tubing is not split or cracked, I would go ahead and replace the pump and grommet(located on the washer tank and on which the pump sits) and the strainer (that sits/attached under the grommet). The grommet has very fine mesh that gets clogged with algae like crap; BMW has since come out with a replacement strainer that has coarser mesh. The strainer on my car was literally plugged and may have contributed to pump failure. The grommet may also have hardened and weakened over time. I changed these items and no more leak; however the aftermarket pump I installed to save a few bucks is not as powerful as it orignal pump was!! I may have to replace with an OEM pump. Good luck..
Old 11-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

I have a brand new pump for it if you end up needing one ($70 shipped - OEM Part No 67128377430). I bought one thinking mine was bad but it just ended up being a clogged filter/strain.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Clogging could have been part of my problem. The last step after looking it over closely was that I blew air intothe pump and the tubing. Perhaps there was a clog... After doing this, it seemed to be ok. I had to take this apart first to see what I might need. No clue before I started on what part or parts i might need and to leave it all unassembled while I go get a new pump wasn't an option. I think this is not more than a 15 minute job to change it out if I decide to replace the pump if the leak returns.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Clogging could have been part of my problem. The last step after looking it over closely was that I blew air intothe pump and the tubing. Perhaps there was a clog... After doing this, it seemed to be ok. I had to take this apart first to see what I might need. No clue before I started on what part or parts i might need and to leave it all unassembled while I go get a new pump wasn't an option. I think this is not more than a 15 minute job to change it out if I decide to replace the pump if the leak returns.
I had the same problem. New pump solved the issue

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._5FE88943.aspx