E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me if this is correct? My dealer in Scotland parks bmw told me the other day that due to some eu stuff they now have to guarantee all work for 2 years unlimited mileage. However if its done on the warranty no such guarantee is available. In fact the service adviser told me that if something is fixed with say 2 months to go on the warranty of the car and the part breaks 3 month later. They will not replace it.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

if you change a single part.. that part will now come with its own warranty... maybe 6months, 1 or 2 years..depending on the part... im not sure what the warranty is for each part...
lets say you have to 2 months to go... you change for example the gearbox... the gear box now has another 1 year, from the date of repair....

this is how it should work....please note that i am not sure how long the warranty is for individual parts i think it depends on the part...
Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 AM
MAK
Members

Originally Posted by fraseman999' post='375373' date='Jan 8 2007, 10:17 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is correct? My dealer in Scotland parks bmw told me the other day that due to some eu stuff they now have to guarantee all work for 2 years unlimited mileage. However if its done on the warranty no such guarantee is available. In fact the service adviser told me that if something is fixed with say 2 months to go on the warranty of the car and the part breaks 3 month later. They will not replace it.
Hi fraseman999 I also use Parks of Hamilton and a few months ago I had a new set of ignition coils fitted and was also told they carried a 2 year gaurantee as they were fitted outside the warranty.
As a goodwill gesture BMW actually paid for the parts as it was only weeks after the warranty had expired and also that they had also been replaced before within the warranty period.
I only paid for 1 hour's labour so this meant that technically this was work carried out outside of the warranty and meant it was under the 2 year gaurantee.

By coincidence I am now experiencing a similar problem to you with my steering.... I only feel a knock through the steering (no noise) Can you tell me what was involved in repairing your car and if it cured it.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Contributors

Hey guys,

I'm just curious, you guys have to pay for labor eventho the parts are replaced by warranty? Over here, if the work on your car is being done on warranty, you don't have to pay for labor or anything, but a tip for the workers are always nice.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i didnt pay any labour, all work under warranty so BMW paid...MAK as i understand suffered a problem after his warranty expired, and the problem was reported to BMW, who as a good will gesture agreed to send the parts for free, all what was left is the labour, which he has to pay.. so his repair was not under warranty, but his new part is under warranty for 2 years...
Old 01-14-2007, 07:04 AM
MAK
Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='378000' date='Jan 14 2007, 02:58 PM
i didnt pay any labour, all work under warranty so BMW paid...MAK as i understand suffered a problem after his warranty expired, and the problem was reported to BMW, who as a good will gesture agreed to send the parts for free, all what was left is the labour, which he has to pay.. so his repair was not under warranty, but his new part is under warranty for 2 years...
You put it better than me...that's exactly what happened!