E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Warped Front Rotors.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a recommended brake pad / rotor break-in process - wonder if you made hard stops before the pads and rotors had been ready for the heating cooling cycles and that caused the rotors to warp??
Old 08-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

You may not be alone on this one. I have the same pads and when I brake I feel the car shudder. Does that mean their warped as well?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Members

I have a question:

So I have to drive a distance before I can wash my car. And I spray cold water on everything including the rotors. Will these cause the rotors to warp?

Thanks

And sorry to hear about the warped rotors. =(
Old 08-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Hmmm, I have Axxis pads. I replace the rotors and pads at the same time. I went with Brake Performance dimpled /slotted rotors. Right after I replace the OEM, The rotors warped. I bedded the pads bringing the car speed to 60mph and brake till it slows the car to 10mph and did this for 6 times. I can feel that right away it warped the rotors. Naturally, I blame it on the rotors and was replace by the Brake Performance for free. With the Second rotors, I followed the bedding procedures that came with the rotors and have not have problems ever since.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Ok, lets get something straight...while you can, on occasion, get a bad set of rotors that may have been damaged in delivery and are warped from the get go but modern ventilated rotors very, very rarely warp. The shudder/"warping" most feel is uneven distribution of brake pad material on the rotors, often mistakenly called warped rotors.

This uneven distribution of pad material is caused by high speed braking to zero mph. The brake rotors and pads heat up to a high temperature, upon coming to a complete stop, when continue to hold the brakes to the rotor, pad material adheres to one spot on your rotor. This high spot of brake pad material causes the shudder you feel because of the uneven distribution of brake pad material. Repeated high speed to 0mph stops causes shuddering what most incorrectly refer to as "warping"

During bedding in new pads and rotors, you should do a series of 4-6 high speed braking from 60mph to 10mph. The reason this is done is to evenly distibute brake pad material on the rotor and mate the two surfaces for increased braking ability. After said high speed braking passes from 60-10mph, you drive around for 10 to 15 minutes at highway speeds to let the rotors/pads cool. If you do not let them cool and make a complete stop to 0mph prematurely, the pads can adhere to the rotor in one spot, causing brake shuddering/"warping"

Axxis Deluxe pads will and do cause premature wear on OEM rotors. Axxis Pads use a harder compound material which is why they are almost dustless when compared to OEM pads. The trade off for reduced brake dust is a higher rotor wear rate. That being said, Axxis Deluxe low dusting pads are worth every penny. I would rather replace my rotors more frequently and have clean wheels than have filthy dirty wheels and increased rotor life. It is a price I am willing to pay.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

^I wonder where you cut and pasted that from

Old 08-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='971700' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:19 PM
^I wonder where you cut and pasted that from

BAH! I hate you.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='971418
...I would rather replace my rotors more frequently and have clean wheels than have filthy dirty wheels and increased rotor life. It is a price I am willing to pay.
-1 ! But hey, that's just me...
Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='971691' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:14 PM
Ok, lets get something straight...while you can, on occasion, get a bad set of rotors that may have been damaged in delivery and are warped from the get go but modern ventilated rotors very, very rarely warp. The shudder/"warping" most feel is uneven distribution of brake pad material on the rotors, often mistakenly called warped rotors.

This uneven distribution of pad material is caused by high speed braking to zero mph. The brake rotors and pads heat up to a high temperature, upon coming to a complete stop, when continue to hold the brakes to the rotor, pad material adheres to one spot on your rotor. This high spot of brake pad material causes the shudder you feel because of the uneven distribution of brake pad material. Repeated high speed to 0mph stops causes shuddering what most incorrectly refer to as "warping"

During bedding in new pads and rotors, you should do a series of 4-6 high speed braking from 60mph to 10mph. The reason this is done is to evenly distibute brake pad material on the rotor and mate the two surfaces for increased braking ability. After said high speed braking passes from 60-10mph, you drive around for 10 to 15 minutes at highway speeds to let the rotors/pads cool. If you do not let them cool and make a complete stop to 0mph prematurely, the pads can adhere to the rotor in one spot, causing brake shuddering/"warping"

Axxis Deluxe pads will and do cause premature wear on OEM rotors. Axxis Pads use a harder compound material which is why they are almost dustless when compared to OEM pads. The trade off for reduced brake dust is a higher rotor wear rate. That being said, Axxis Deluxe low dusting pads are worth every penny. I would rather replace my rotors more frequently and have clean wheels than have filthy dirty wheels and increased rotor life. It is a price I am willing to pay.
I followed those instructions precisely when I replaced my factory pads. Great post and really informative. Thanks!!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

I had warped rotors on my 530xi....were replaced at 7K miles. My current 550i rotors started to warp at 4K....but not so bad that it bothers me enough to have them replaced. I am at 9600 miles now on the 550i, and I will have them checked when I go in later this month for inspection.

Sorry to hear about your problems as well.

Quick Reply: Warped Front Rotors.....