E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Warning: Version 14/software updates

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Delivered 30/11/04: 535d Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Media Package, Hi-Fi, Rear M Spoiler, Headlamp Washer, Auto dim/folding mirrors, Grad tint screen, Aux input,

Do we have the right to take our cars in for software updates automatically? Or do we have to wait for a recall as my dealer suggested?

Surely not.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Just use Iceman's answer to the prospect of not getting an update for free. "Create" a software problem that can only be fixed by an upgrade.

TMC now appears at the bottom of my i-drive screen so I assume it is working, the air vent distribution display has vanished from the bottom of the screen, the fonts on the screens have changed (preferred them as they were before personally). and the phone book now displays telephone numbers alongside names in my address book. All of which has been previously reported by others who've had the upgrade done. I haven't found any other major changes.

The screen also boots up as quickly as it did before. The folding mirrors activation on locking the car is a real bonus. All in all a satisfactory outcome.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Dec 1 2004, 06:58 PM
Just use Iceman's answer to the prospect of not getting an update for free. "Create" a software problem that can only be fixed by an upgrade.
Indeed. The problem is convincing the dealer that the fault will be fixed by an upgrade. It looks like the dealers aren't in possession of the problem and fix list for iDrive

My dealer tried to fob me off by saying the issues were by design!!!

See: My Experience
Old 12-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Dec 1 2004, 05:18 PM
TMC is activated as are the folding mirrors. They tried to tell me I should have been charged for activating this feature but they? aren't going to.
[snapback]62924[/snapback]
That would have been a rip off!!

Originally Posted by iDrive535dSport' date='Dec 1 2004, 07:33 PM
Do we have the right to take our cars in for software updates automatically? Or do we have to wait for a recall as my dealer suggested?

Surely not.
[snapback]62992[/snapback]
You can get a software update whenever you want if you pay for it.
But if you just give them a couple faults you are experiencing... they will do the update under warranty.

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Dec 1 2004, 09:11 PM
[quote name='ISUK' date='Dec 1 2004, 06:58 PM']Just use Iceman's answer to the prospect of not getting an update for free. "Create" a software problem that can only be fixed by an upgrade.
Indeed. The problem is convincing the dealer that the fault will be fixed by an upgrade. It looks like the dealers aren't in possession of the problem and fix list for iDrive

My dealer tried to fob me off by saying the issues were by design!!!

See: My Experience
[snapback]63030[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yep. "Create" the problems, and they do the update for free.

Issues by design. Now that's a new line I haven't heard from any dealer so far. What a BS!
Old 12-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

i want to have ver 15 later this month and activate bt at once. what kind of problems should i "create" ? i told them my idrive freeze, driver's side window rolls down and one more thing i forgot.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Dec 1 2004, 07:58 PM
TMC now appears at the bottom of my i-drive screen so I assume it is working,
[snapback]62999[/snapback]
Out of interest which Nav DVD have you got?

Andy
Old 12-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

I have a very nice copy of 2004 - 1 which was lent to me by a very accomodating chap.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:35 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Dec 2 2004, 04:23 AM
i want to have ver 15 later this month and activate bt at once.? what kind of problems should i "create" ?? i told them my idrive freeze, driver's side window rolls down and one more thing i forgot.
[snapback]63346[/snapback]
In my case, alohalc, I don't have to invent anything. The iDrive screen shows the BMW opening for five seconds, goes blank for ten seconds, shows the BMW opening for five seconds, goes blank for ten seconds, shows the BMW opening for five seconds, goes blank for ten seconds, shows the BMW opening for five seconds, goes blank for ten seconds, ad nauseum, all the way from Florida to Texas last night. I put my cap in front of the screen but really needed a custom piece of cardboard which I didn't dally to do. No NAV lady, no radio, no nuttin'!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

My 525 was upgrade to 13.2 (from original 11.x) over the weekend. So far I've noticed few things:

1. RDS can be switched "ON" or "OFF" manually.
2. When RDS is "ON" the names of songs are not displayed anymore.
3. AC settings (A/A or manually adjusted) have disappeared from iDrive display.
4. Cannot set options for BMW Assist.
5. Adaptive Xenons are more responsive.

As per my service adviser version 15 should be out before holidays.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Serge007' date='Dec 2 2004, 07:07 PM
2. When RDS is "ON" the names of songs are not displayed anymore.
5. Adaptive Xenons are more responsive.
The song names - is this CD-Text? (This thread is doing the rounds elsewhere...)

I haven't noticed a change in the adaptive Xenon's myself - the active steering was affected!

Quick Reply: Warning: Version 14/software updates