E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Want to find nearest autobahn to the Ring

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Want to go to the Ring in September and also drive down any autobahn for the first time. Anyone know how far the nearest autobahn is from the Ring please?

Many thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

I think you're bound to hit any kind of Autobahn before you get to the Ring, either its Nurburg or Hockenheim, or any other ring for that matter

Some of the finest bits of Autobahn I've driven is a part of A5 near Karlsruhe, if I can remember correctly. Though - IMHO - the highways in Italy and France are nicer, and if you dare, high speed is fully possible there

BTW.. this being said.. driving on the Autobahn is a nice experience, but it's probably not the fastest roads as they're very easily affected by traffic. Driving 700 km on country roads in Sweden and Norway I averaged 106km/h, including stops. That was a comfortable and safe journey, and I don't think you will manage such speeds on German Autobahns with traffic.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Contributors

It is really hard to find good stretches of autobahn these days. It seems like everytime you do you run into a construction zone or a traffic jam. I have heard they are gearing up for the World Cup stuff next summer and trying to improve infrastructure.

The best time to hit any autobahn is early Sunday morning (first light). Scope out a section near where you are staying and plan to get up early
Old 08-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

When travelling from the UK to the ring, you don't see much of German autobahns. And I haven't seen any near the ring that are unlimited. Perhaps if you go east or north, you might find some nearby.

I've done 155 on an autobahn. But I'd much rather spend my time doing laps of the ring. Taking a corner at 100 is by far the better, compared to driving fast in a straight line. IMHO.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Thanks for your help guys.

My best mate and I were recently on GT4 driving the Ring and have now arranged to go over and thrash the 535 round there for real. We just fancied a rip down a derestricted part of an Autobahn too. When in Rome eh or whatever

I take it you can do max speed on the long straight part!
Old 08-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

GT4 allows you "full lap" driving. When doing the long straight, look to the right half way along. See the buildings there, with the exit and entry lane. That's where you start/finish for real on the ring. Unless you're on a special course, or racing.

Sorry, but that means your max speed will be limited. I've only got up to about 130 on the straight, before having to slow down to exit back to the car park. But there are 2 or 3 other spots on the track where I get up to 130. Some places I could go faster, but considering the circumstances (bends and bumps) I choose not to.

Would be nice to do the whole straight, but I can see that it would be dangerous. They used to start/stop at the pits (as per GT4), but haven't done so for quite a while.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

At least one always open road is A31 alongside German-Dutch border in Norland-Westfalen. I have used that about 10 years and it has been always free enough.

Skaffa
Old 08-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d Touring (E61) Steptronic, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, 138 Rims, Park Distance Control, Sliding Armrest, Advanced Air-Con, Professional Satellite Navigation, Sports Steering Wheel, Xeon, Adaptive lights, Heated Front Seats, Voice Control, Bluetooth (T630)

The A60 has not much traffic and is unlimited (as far as I remember). You can pass there if you take the route from Calais via Liege (Belgium). The E42 in Belgium is a very nice route (limited to 120 km/h - general Belgium limit - but 138km/h is not too expensive )
Old 08-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Aug 13 2005, 09:38 AM
But there are 2 or 3 other spots on the track where I get up to 130. Some places I could go faster, but considering the circumstances? (bends and bumps) I choose not to.
Agreed. Just before Schwedenkreuz there is a fast stretch where I've gone 150 before, *however* I don't tend to go as fast as that now. There is an extremely bad bump there which if you hit wrong, or go over and then brake for the next corner before the car is settled, its game over.