E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Corona Rings (Angel Eyes) - Daytime Running without low beam on automatic mode??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 02:24 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530D M Sport LCI
Default Corona Rings (Angel Eyes) - Daytime Running without low beam on automatic mode??

Hi Everyone,

So I have been searching all over the forums but still couldnt find anything that answers my question.

I own a LCI E60 530D, now I have through the idrive turned daytime running lights (DRL) however when I turn this setting on, my low beams are turned on as well. I have the switch to automatic, if I put the switch to off then it will completely turn all the lights (low beam, corona rings, and eyebrow), if I put it to parking then only the corona rings and eyebrows turn on, and I put it to low beam then of course the low beam and corona rings and eyebrows turn on.

However if I turn off the daytime running lights option in idrive then in automatic mode all lights are off (considering if its during the day).

1) My question is this is normal for everyone? or is there something wrong with my car.

2) Is there a way to only have the corona rings turn on, and still have the lights on automatic. I usually see e90s driving around with just the corona rings turned on without their low beam.

3) My corona rings are very dim, at daytime you can hardly see them, anyway to make them brighter? Again I always see e90s 3 series driving around with bright yellow corona rings. Perhaps a different bulb? I would like to keep the colour of the corona rings still yellow I think they look best and OEM, looks very ricey with white doesnt suit the E60 in my opinion.

Anyone able to help me out?

For reference

This is how I would like my car to look
Old 06-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

With lights switched to auto and DRL on in idrive, your rings should only be on in the day time, with low beams coming on at dusk/night. This is my setup anyway. When you check to see your lights, make sure its not shaded or dark. Even my garage with door up in daylight (its bright), my low beams will come on when I pull in. Perhaps your light sensor may be faulty tricking your car to thinking its darker out. I would get it checked out if this setup still turns on the low beams in day light conditions.

Your rings use a single H8 Xenon bulb in each unit. I believe there are many types to choose from. Replacing is easy. That should boost ring output, but even in direct light, they can be tough to see sometimes. Good luck
Old 06-22-2015, 12:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi

It depends very much on witch headlights you have mountede , so as plowery21 explaines , this is for LCI cars with Xenon/bi-Xenon.

Are you sure your car is a "real" LCI ? , is it acctualy produced after 03-2007 ? ( from what you write I think not ) , if not then your low beam will all ways function as DRLtogether with the coronarings /angel eys , also if the car is with Xenon/bi-Xenon , hole different headligts after prod. 0372007
Old 06-22-2015, 04:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

mortaza_tollo, if you definitely have an LCI and the dipped beams come on with the DRL function, then the car needs to be coded for the angel eyes to be your daytime running lights.

The xenons have a 35w bulb and are bright enough for them to be classed as day time running lights. The halogens have a 10w bulb which can't be seen clearly in the daytime, hence the reason for the dipped being the DRL.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530D M Sport LCI

I can confirm that the car is an LCI model car, however I am unsure if the headlights are xenon/bi-xenon thou. How can I tell the difference from the outside to check if they are?

I will take it to the dealer, and ask for it to be coded, hopefully they can do this. But that doesn't solve the issue that the rings its self are just not bright enough to be seen during the day. Would it be as simple as just changing the corona rings bulbs to xenon bulbs?
Old 07-23-2015, 02:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

PM me your VIN number and I can check for you.