E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Walnut Blasting" an acceptable form of maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Walnut Blasting" an acceptable form of maintenance?

I have been doing research on a few vehicle options and while there are some good deals out there my eyes and heart come back to a used 535i.

Scanning several forums I run across the typical wastegate rattle, coil pack issues, water pump issues, HPFP issues, etc but the one that sticks with me the most is the carbon buildup issue. I can't seem to wrap my head around this one so I will share a possible scenario:

Lets say I purchase a 2010 535i for $32-35k. There will be a decent amount of miles on there so I can assume that the valves have likely accumulated carbon deposits. Has BMW resolved this issue with the N55, or should we all just factor the walnut blasting process in to our vehicle maintenance every 50k miles?

This car is suddenly looking a bit less attractive to me. No wonder the prices have dropped to such an enticing level! In the old days a few cans of BG fuel system cleaner in the tank and sucked thru the vacuum lines was good enough, but the new cylinder head configurations renders that type of cleaning worthless.

Thanks for your response.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

As far as 535, I've had one e60 and several F10's (never a problem). The E60 now has 96 k and I also was thinking about walnut blasting, but I'm not feeling any issues that would entice me to do this. Direct injection is the reason for this. The N55 I also believe is direct injection. the Buick Regal is direct injection as well. You might be surprised at the number of cars out there that have this. I understand they can get more power with this setup. You mentioned water pump issues, I'm not aware of any specific WP issues linked directly to the N54. Mine failed at 85k which seems to be daily common. You will read where some feel a recall is warranted because theirs failed at less than 100K or so. I think that is a bit early and although my failure at 85k pissed me off I remember many moons ago my Pontiac GP failed at 40K, but I've had other cars where it never failed. The pump for the N54 with install can run you anywhere from $500-1500 to have installed. I paid 230 for my pump and 100 for the T-stat then 200 labor for a guy I know to install it. I believe the list price is around 600 for just the pump. HPFP and injectors, yes, this is a PITA. I've had two installed but the last one I think was the latest corrected or improved pump. This pump has lasted a long time. The warranty for the pump carries the car to 10yrs or 110K. turbos are covered to the mid 85k or so. the spark plugs is what really chapped my ass though. These little shits cost around 20.00 each! Sure you can find them cheaper, but they are still expensive. Then I discovered that a regular socket wouldn't work so there is a cost for this special thin wall. They recommend changing them around 45K and yes, I had one fail that caused a misfire and changing them took about an hour. My coil packs have been fine, so I can't comment on this. I also have a jb4 installed and would not have the car without it. This tune REALLY makes this car! Now with all of this, this does't mean you will have an uneventful time if you decide to take a 535. You could, but you could also have a very bad experience as with any car. I would buy from a reputable dealer or maybe an individual and avoid the small car lots. They normally get their stuff from auctions where the good guys takes their stuff they don't want to sell (in most cases).

Back to the HPFP, they did not pull pumps out of inventory and continued to replaces them as they fail and the new stock is the modified or corrected pump. Not all of the old pumps fail but a lot do... So normally a risk assessment is made and from what I've read it was better to extend the warranty and replace as they fail instead of trashing the entire inventory. Honestly, mine could fail again and I would just take it back in for a replacement. They normally give you a loaner if you need one.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kudos for the thorough response. My gut tells me leasing something new for 36 months may be an option. Reliable keeper BMW's apparently ended with my '02 530i. Hopefully they will figure out some of these quality issues. I'm not sure I am prepared to gamble with a $40k purchase. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:52 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chisau
Kudos for the thorough response. My gut tells me leasing something new for 36 months may be an option. Reliable keeper BMW's apparently ended with my '02 530i. Hopefully they will figure out some of these quality issues. I'm not sure I am prepared to gamble with a $40k purchase. Thanks!
Just get an 08 535i that has been well maintained. Buy private if you can from original owner. Spend around 20k. Not sure where you come up with 40k even for a 2010.